Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nonito Donaire Vs Guillermo Rigondeaux: Who Wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigAlexSand View Post
    Exactly... Two completely differently style boxers. Rigondeaux has a set skill most boxers do not have, and try years to gain that skill. While Donaire in my view is an unconventional brawler, with great athleticism.
    Most people who say Donaire is a great conventional boxer, has never trained, or been in the ring. He is skilled in his sense but realistically Rigondeaux has a much better skill set.
    Not debating that! but I'm sure rigo has the worst chin than donaire!

Comment

• Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      The argument that Rigo has no chin is flawed. There are concerns about Rigo's chin, yes, but we haven't seen the proof yet. The guy has literally touched the canvass (because he wasn't actually knocked down) once in his entire career, pro and amateur. Then he was rocked by a couple of good shots in another fight. You consider that proof that Guille has a bad chin? I may as well call Nonito a runner because I saw him get on his bike a couple of times during his fights.
      When he was knocked down, to me it looked like he was off balance and was hit at the same time with a jab... In which he barley touched the canvas! Yet he has no chin. The fact that a jab and straight cause more knock downs, is not being talked about.
      And is exactly why, Donaire with his openings will get hit with the straight and put on his a$$. Not saying he will get knocked out by a straight but his off balance attacks will be exposed!

Comment

Exactly... Two completely differently style boxers. Rigondeaux has a set skill most boxers do not have, and try years to gain that skill. While Donaire in my view is an unconventional brawler, with great athleticism.
        Most people who say Donaire is a great conventional boxer, has never trained, or been in the ring. He is skilled in his sense but realistically Rigondeaux has a much better skill set.
        In the end, Nonito might turn out to be the better fighter. There are many qualities that make up a good fighter, skill being one. Donaire might simply beat Rigo, but it'll happen due to other factors other than skill. "El Chacal" is at least one level above Nonito in the skill department.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
          I'm also intrigued by Rigo handles the media pressure and increased spotlight, as he has never fought in a fight this big and anticipated, especially by the hardcore fans. He just doesn't seem to get flustered in the ring very often and in contrast, in fights where he felt he had something to prove, Donaire at times has let his emotion get the best of him and start hurling himself at his opponents, Vazquez Jr. and Mathebula for instance, to get the KO. He will get countered and hurt IMO if tries that in this fight.
          I agree, Guillermo's response to a fight of this magnitude will be interesting to observe. As you point out, we've already seen that Nonito has a tendency to get overly anxious to impress. I also agree that Donaire's tendency to do this might land him in trouble versus Rigondeaux. I'm actually hoping Nonito will be aggressive in this fight. It'll play into Guille's style.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Angel View Post
            I'm also intrigued by Rigo handles the media pressure and increased spotlight, as he has never fought in a fight this big and anticipated, especially by the hardcore fans. He just doesn't seem to get flustered in the ring very often and in contrast, in fights where he felt he had something to prove, Donaire at times has let his emotion get the best of him and start hurling himself at his opponents, Vazquez Jr. and Mathebula for instance, to get the KO. He will get countered and hurt IMO if tries that in this fight.
            Donaire only headhunts against guys he's expected to beat easily. Vazquez and Mathebula were nobody for him. In his most important fights, he always steps up and fights his best.

Comment

I agree, Guillermo's response to a fight of this magnitude will be interesting to observe. As you point out, we've already seen that Nonito has a tendency to get overly anxious to impress. I also agree that Donaire's tendency to do this might land him in trouble versus Rigondeaux. I'm actually hoping Nonito will be aggressive in this fight. It'll play into Guille's style.
              Donaire's too smart to do that! He's a calculated guy! He's got Plans A-Z!

Comment

In the end, Nonito might turn out to be the better fighter. There are many qualities that make up a good fighter, skill being one. Donaire might simply beat Rigo, but it'll happen due to other factors other than skill. "El Chacal" is at least one level above Nonito in the skill department.
                With out jus looking at my view and look into the past. Roy Jones Jr vs James Toney; a Philly shell style against an unconventional boxer. Is Donaire as skilled as Roy, no but in my brow the skill set. Is Rigondeaux as skilled as Toney, Yes.

Nonito has shown holes and quit a few of them, but has yet to fight a truely sound boxer still on his way up. Mathebula, please... Vazquez Jr, please.... Noshika, please... The last truely spectacular moment was 2 years ago, and sense then he has been trying to live up to the title of KO artist. Against smaller opposition, yes he was but of late against old soon to retire fighters; I give no props.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacdbest View Post
                  Donaire's too smart to do that! He's a calculated guy! He's got Plans A-Z!
                  How is that when he leaves openings with wide, wild hooks, has shown to get angry to push for knock out and truely his footwork could use some work because he has shown crossing his feet and bringing his back foot off the ground; which will leave him off balance waiting to get hit by a straight and put on his butt.

Comment

When he was knocked down, to me it looked like he was off balance and was hit at the same time with a jab... In which he barley touched the canvas! Yet he has no chin. The fact that a jab and straight cause more knock downs, is not being talked about.
                    And is exactly why, Donaire with his openings will get hit with the straight and put on his a$$. Not saying he will get knocked out by a straight but his off balance attacks will be exposed!
                    I've looked at that Cordoba knockdown over a dozen times. I agree with your assessment. My only concern was with how Rigo reacted for the remainder of the fight. He wasn't obviously hurt, so I'm honestly at a loss as to why he got on his bike after the knockdown. The best I can offer is that he reverted instinctively to his amateur ways and coasted on points.

In the Marroquin fight, Guillermo got rocked twice. But Robert is a big kid with good power. Rigo clinched immediately after both shots and resumed fighting shortly thereafter. He didn't show any lingering effects. So far, I think the worst one can objectively say about Guille's chin is that it's not "granite." That's not a flaw. Granite chins are an asset that not everyone possesses.

Comment

With out jus looking at my view and look into the past. Roy Jones Jr vs James Toney; a Philly shell style against an unconventional boxer. Is Donaire as skilled as Roy, no but in my brow the skill set. Is Rigondeaux as skilled as Toney, Yes.

Nonito has shown holes and quit a few of them, but has yet to fight a truely sound boxer still on his way up. Mathebula, please... Vazquez Jr, please.... Noshika, please... The last truely spectacular moment was 2 years ago, and sense then he has been trying to live up to the title of KO artist. Against smaller opposition, yes he was but of late against old soon to retire fighters; I give no props.
                      100% agreed. I think Nono has been trying too hard to capture some of that lost thunder. I honestly can't blame him, but it could hurt him against the wrong opponent, like Rigondeaux. The last knockout against a prime opponent came at 118. I can see Donaire swinging for the fences against Guille. Unlike his previous opponents, "El Chacal" is a master counter-puncher who's always in position to answer a missed shot. To top it off, I have a feeling Rigo will be looking to end this fight as early as he can. I think Rigo will be looking to sneak in that killer shot to the liver he's so fond of.

Comment

Working...
                      X