Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Martinez vs Chavez 2 Justified but Mayweather vs Cotto 2 Not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Martinez vs Chavez 2 Justified but Mayweather vs Cotto 2 Not?

Why is Martinez vs Chavez 2 Justified but Mayweather vs Cotto 2 Not....

I mean seriously!? Both made money.

Martinez won 11 1/2 rounds and Chavez basically got a lucky punch because Martinez felt like playing Macho man and trading.

While Mayweather won convincingly, Cotto won at least 3-4 rounds and many of the rounds that Mayweather won were still close rounds.

Is this just an example of the power of a knockdown on casual fans?

I seriously dont believe that knockdown warrants a rematch.....if the case Roy Jones should have re-matched Lou Devalle.(NOT!)

In all honesty, Martinez is looking for the payday, and they are up-front about that.

The knockdown gives him a great excuse to get the rematch made.

It's not right, but that's why.

Mayweather and Cotto don't need to look for paydays. Especially not with the same urgency as Martinez does.

Comment

Because the fans got an exciting fight that came down to the wire in Martinez-Chavez Jr and a rematch could easily be sold to the casual fans with that last round.
      Hardcore fans may see that last round as an fluke as Martinez was hurt and had no choice but to go toe to toe, but its an easy sell.
      Even though Cotto gave Floyd a bloody nose there was never any doubt to the outcome of the fight. Cotto showed a lot of heart, but Floyd was and is just too good to make the fight any less than another UD.
      Its all about what fight you can sell.

Comment

I don't think there should be any rematch for JCCjr and Martinez.

If Sergio had his scare in this second round as opposed to the 12th would we still be talking about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
          I don't think there should be any rematch for JCCjr and Martinez.

If Sergio had his scare in this second round as opposed to the 12th would we still be talking about it?
          This here ^^^

Comment

I honestly havent seen anyone talk down a Mayweather-Cotto rematch. I cant see Cotto winning a rematch anyway. And the only reason Id like Martinez to rematch Chavez is to actually watch Martinez finish him off this time around.

If a rematch happens for either or both fights I wont be complaining. If it doesnt its fine with me too.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              In all honesty, Martinez is looking for the payday, and they are up-front about that.

The knockdown gives him a great excuse to get the rematch made.

It's not right, but that's why.

Mayweather and Cotto don't need to look for paydays. Especially not with the same urgency as Martinez does.

i don't blame martinez at all for trying to get paid.

every other fight at middleweight is a huge step down in the pay grade. martinez and chavez sold almost half a million ppvs... that's millions in revenue than they'll generate fighting anybody else, save mayweather, cotto, pacquiao

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                i don't blame martinez at all for trying to get paid.

every other fight at middleweight is a huge step down in the pay grade. martinez and chavez sold almost half a million ppvs... that's millions in revenue than they'll generate fighting anybody else, save mayweather, cotto, pacquiao
                I think Sergio deserves another payday too.

But I'd prefer it if it wasn't against that **** of a punching bag. I can't stand him.

Not a perfect situation.

By the way, do you consider Martinez a HOF'er?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                  I think Sergio deserves another payday too.

But I'd prefer it if it wasn't against that **** of a punching bag. I can't stand him.

Not a perfect situation.

By the way, do you consider Martinez a HOF'er?

nope, but he's damn good and has had a hell of a career. he's a great story.

Comment

Because Floyd was competent enough to win convincingly. Not many people watching the fight thought Miguel is going to win at any point of the fight.

Sergio messed up there towards the end by allowing spectators to think it's possible for Chavez to win.

Maybe Chavez will go on food therapy, gain weight, be unable to make 160, and this rematch won't happen.

Comment

Working...
                    X