No announcement yet.

Ronnie Shields' take on Lara's Chances Against Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
    He's outside fighter, whose best defence are his legs. He is exceptional talent so he can deal with taller fighters, but let's be serious, did you see 5'5 dude fighting from outside doing well at lightweight? There was Pernell Whitaker at his early days but he's completely different kind of fighter with great inside game and great inside defence particulary.
    The higher his opponents will get and the older he will get, the harder it will be for him. He'll have to get inside more and when he gets in, he opens himself up and his chin is not rock solid.
    I'd still pick him over everyone at 135 because this division sucks, but I think he'll seek bigger fights so he may end up fighting even higher..
    This is the way I look at it. If he's as good as you, me and everyone else makes him to be then he SHOULD get thru these divisions. If not then he should fail miserably.

Let me ask you this, who do you think is faster, Pacquiao or Gamboa? Pacquiao only has 1 inch on Gamboa and made it to 147.

Comment

Floyd don't look good at 154 and he's slowed down a lot. Lara's style and physical abilities would give Floyd a LOT of problems but I see Floyd winning a decision in a rough fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrangelo
        Right now? Gamboa no doubt, in his prime days I think Pacquiao was slightly faster but it's close.
        But the thing is, they're completely different fighters. Pac is guy who wants to get close to his opponents and he is also freakishly strong physically for his size, he had inhuman stamina, rock solid chin and was even more dangerous in exchanges than Gamboa is. Power and size will bother Gamboa(and pretty much everyone) more than Pacquiao.
        Well, I mean at the age of 30 who was faster? And you dont think physically Gamboa is bigger than Pacquiao? Not sure strength wise but I feel Gamboa is bigger than Pacquiao. Also, we dunno how Gamboa's chin really is since the KDs have always been from him being over excited and/or off balance. Look at what happened to his opponents after him being KDed.

Not sure if this means much but Solis did say he hits harder than Pacquiao. Meanwhile Salido said the opposite, that he doesnt hit hard.

Idk I think Gamboa with his speed will do alright in higher classes. Now whether he keeps it or not is a different story.

Comment

He'd be able to hold his own against Floyd.

Comment

Lara has no chance against Mayweather anywhere below 160. lol

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
              I was just thinking of this fight the other day. On paper, it's certainly not a fight one would consider forking over $60+ to watch.

But, I really believe Lara, skills wise, has P4P potential. It's just getting the opportunity to prove it is where I think he will have a problem.

I think his style could give Floyd some trouble in the ring, and I think he could do enough to deserve to win a decision. Lara doesn't do one thing spectacular, but he does a lot of things very well; plus his size and southpaw stance certainly work to his advantage as well.

The way Floyd's style has evolved doesn't suit him well in this matchup, I think he would need to use his feet a bit more than he has lately.

The below text was taken from the artcle here...

http://www.e@stsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32666&more=1

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.
              Mayweather ran from cotto half of the entire fight, his feet are fine...Roach ******ed ass views got you guys acting dumb...think for urself, dont let an aged mentally ill man do it for u

Comment

I agree with Ronnie assement of the fight. The kid is to big and to hungry for a stand in the pocket Floyd, lil Floyd would have t oget his roller skates out storage to make it interesting.

Comment

Whats Molinas chances Ronnie???

Comment

Originally posted by JoeWbbmest311 View Post
                    I was just thinking of this fight the other day. On paper, it's certainly not a fight one would consider forking over $60+ to watch.

But, I really believe Lara, skills wise, has P4P potential. It's just getting the opportunity to prove it is where I think he will have a problem.

I think his style could give Floyd some trouble in the ring, and I think he could do enough to deserve to win a decision. Lara doesn't do one thing spectacular, but he does a lot of things very well; plus his size and southpaw stance certainly work to his advantage as well.

The way Floyd's style has evolved doesn't suit him well in this matchup, I think he would need to use his feet a bit more than he has lately.

The below text was taken from the artcle here...

http://www.e@stsideboxing.com/news.php?p=32666&more=1

CIANI: Just to get your perspective on where Lara is right now, if he was to get an unlikely opportunity against pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather Junior, what would you think of his chances?

SHIELDS: Oh man! I would think his chances are like 70-30, with 70 being for him and 30 being for Floyd just for the simple reason that look. Floyd is a great fighter, but Floyd is a great fighter fighting guys like a Miguel Cotto, who’s past his prime, and like a too small guy like Marquez who he beat. Now look, Floyd is a good fighter but this is a different competition with Erislandy Lara. We’re talking about a bigger guy who’s just a natural 154 pounder. There is no way in the world in my heart I know that Floyd can beat a guy like Erislandy Lara, just for the simple reason that Lara is so much smarter than everybody Floyd has ever fought in his career. When you have that, and plus he’s a bigger guy and a stronger guy, I don’t see how Floyd would be able to keep him off of him.
                    if he....

but didn't...

so.....

Molina the ATG Future HOF!!!

good job

Comment

Working...
                    X