Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is playing chess a good way to train your brain to anticipate things better in life?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, it's just a measure of chess ability. While it's probably more directly related to various elemental mental capacities like spatial reasoning and memory than a lot of other games, the decision making in chess has a lot more to do with pattern recognition than anything else except at the very highest level where deep strategic ideas come into play (and these still relate only to chess and not real life of course). A strong memory is the most important ability to have for chess.

Comment

idk how to play chess, but im pretty good at checkers

Comment

People in my gym say I'm crazy and probably call me a rich white boy behind my back, but I'll swear that playing chess has dramatically increased my ability to out-strategize my opponents in the competition ring.

Comment

Originally posted by RunW/Knives View Post
          Great game.

I'm too impulsive though, and fail at it. Something about having the attention span or another that's why I excel at checkers.

More my tactical advantage over pure strategy.
          I'd spark you out.

Comment

I love chess.

Comment

Sad, I stopped playing Chess in the game room like 3 months ago and i'm still in the top 10. I have a 22-20 record but I lost 7 games via the game room booting me out in the middle of games for some reason. I was also winning 5 of those 7 and the other 2 were too premature to tell who's winning. So not to suck my own ****, but I at least should have 27-15 record in the chess game room. Most would be 29-13. I stopped playing though, wasn't worth playing if I had no idea when the my internet decided to act up and ruin my record.

Comment

Working...
              X