No announcement yet.

Wlad vs Marciano's contenders.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
    The list below shows the top 10 (as The Ring saw it) contenders for Marciano's heavyweight crown 60 years ago (end of 1954). The weights are those listed by BoxRec, for their last fight that year.

1. Nino Valdes 6'3", 208 lbs
    2. Don ****ell 5'11", 210 lbs
    These terrible automatic computerized censor ****.

With a "dirty" name like C***ell, Don's full name will forever be banned on boxingscene forum?
    In my opinion, it's f***ing insane!
    Last edited by Ben Bolt; 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM.

Comment

C o c k e l l. I guess this would be the only way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
        C o c k e l l. I guess this would be the only way to do it.
        Don C o c k e l l it is, then

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          A better question is if Valdes was ranked #1, why didn't Marciano fight him instead of the #2 contender or Archie Moore after that? Did his management even try to make that fight happen?
          Al Weill had already lined C.ockell up as Maricano's next opponent before the second Charles bout. Valdes was in Weill's mind up after C.ockell.

Jim Norris, the IBC, wanted Valdes in February or March with C.ockell in June. The order in reverse to Weill's.

Marciano-Charles II was in September. Marciano's nose needed surgery and he only fought when suitable (federal taxes) that's why his next outing wasn't until May of 1955.

During all this hold up on the title front, two significant things happened;

1. Valdes had been passing up good money fights in the chance it was him not C.ockell who got the shot.

2. Moore had started a publicity campaign that found support for a contest between himself and Marciano.

Moore offered to fight Valdes and C.ockell back-to-back on the same night. Box Marciano over 6 for charity. Phoned, mailed the major sport press lauding the merits of the fight and estimated it would make double what Marciano-Charles fights did.

Moore had jumped up the list of challengers by public opinion, Valdes who needed a money fight and validation as next in line agreed to a contest. That's the backdrop to the Valdes-Moore fight which Moore won.

So once Marciano had gotten through C.ockell there was only two options for his September date in New York, Bob Baker or Archie Moore.

Moore got the nod as he had just beaten Valdes and stopped Baker the year before.

Comment

Anybody who said wlad would lose is a crazy idiot no one made midcard fighting like they did in Rock's time in 70s-90s

Wlad in his 4th match was way more advanced than the whole 70s let alone 20s-50s
            Last edited by Ascended; 04-09-2024, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bundana View Post
              The list below shows the top 10 (as The Ring saw it) contenders for Marciano's heavyweight crown 60 years ago (end of 1954). The weights are those listed by BoxRec, for their last fight that year.

1. Nino Valdes 6'3", 208 lbs
              2. Don ****ell 5'11", 210 lbs
              3. Ezzard Charles 6'0", 192 lbs
              4. Bob Baker 6'2", 211 lbs
              5. Earl Walls 6'2½", 196 lbs
              6. Heinz Neuhaus 6'2", 215 lbs
              7. Rex Layne 6'1", 208 lbs
              8. Tommy Jackson 6'2", 190 lbs
              9. Charlie Norkus 6'0", 192 lbs
              10. Jimmy Slade ?, 175 lbs

The question is: If we time-machined Wladimir Klitschko back to December 1954, and matched him with these men in fights scheduled for 15 rounds, would he be able to defeat them all, from top to bottom - on consecutive nights?

He would start with #1 (Valdes), the next day he would meet #2, etc. If (for example) the first one against Valdes turns out to be a gruelling, strength-sapping distance fight... well, that's just tough luck! There will be no rest days! Already the following night ****ell will be waiting for him.

Now let's say, there's a hefty bonus for Wlad, if he can beat them all in less than 10 days... and the fewer days it takes him, the bigger the bonus! In other words, he's allowed to take on 2 (or more!) on the same night, if he feels up to it! If he does take on more than 1 contender on the same night, let's give him 45 min between fights - where he's allowed to go to the bathroom, change gloves, have his hands rebandaged, or whatever.

Under those conditions, would Wladimir:

A... beat them all in 10 days?
              B... beat them all in less than 10 days?
              C... or would he at some point come unstuck and lose to one of them?

What do you guys think?
              he won’t beat Ezzard Charles. The skill gap is too high. Even Haye held his own vs charles and Haye has no skills/craft just wide hayemakers. Brewster also slept Wlad.

Charles will easily avoid his jab and right hand and counter him, maybe not a stoppage but a UD.

the rest is up for debate, not all of them are great fighters but game. And Wlad simply isnt an ATG fighter so its hard to say how he does.

I won’t go as far as to say Marciano had the best resume, his resume is decent but not great. Marciano for me is great from a p4p perspective, but never got to really send the message he could have.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post

he wonât beat Ezzard Charles. The skill gap is too high. Even Haye held his own vs charles and Haye has no skills/craft just wide hayemakers. Brewster also slept Wlad.

Charles will easily avoid his jab and right hand and counter him, maybe not a stoppage but a UD.

the rest is up for debate, not all of them are great fighters but game. And Wlad simply isnt an ATG fighter so its hard to say how he does.

I wonât go as far as to say Marciano had the best resume, his resume is decent but not great. Marciano for me is great from a p4p perspective, but never got to really send the message he could have.

They don't fight from range much; they leave themselves open a lot. A lot of times, they will just throw themselves into the body and not protect themselves. They use mostly counters when up close; the lateral movement is very basic; they don't seem to be able to punch from range while doing it smoothly; they have to stop then punch most of the time; and their feet are mostly tiptoeing.​ And a lot of times they wait for the person to hit them, standing right in front of their opponent​​​​

Charles will easily avoid his jab and right hand and counter him with all these obsolete flaws in the vid?

Last edited by Ascended; 04-09-2024, 02:57 PM.

Comment

he wonât beat Ezzard Charles. The skill gap is too high. Even Haye held his own vs charles and Haye has no skills/craft just wide hayemakers. Brewster also slept Wlad.

I wonât go as far as to say Marciano had the best resume, his resume is decent but not great. Marciano for me is great from a p4p perspective, but never got to really send the message he could have.

Wlad in his 4th pro match way more advanced than the whole 70s-'60s, let alone the novice era Ezz fought In, how can he win, when no one even made mid-card fighting like that from his era in the years I said

Even the guy Wlad is fighting is way more advanced than ezz whole era

Nothing In that match I posted, does he look like Ezz would land on Wlad? So where did you get any of that obsolete crap that would work on Wlad? Exposed like an always crazy idiot, you don’t watch matches.

You were right, though the skill gap is too high for even this woman.

Last edited by Ascended; 04-09-2024, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Both bob and nino look Way less advanced then that guy wlad fought

Comment

Rex and bob

Comment

Working...
                      X