Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Poll) In His Prime Was Roy Jones Jr Unbeatable?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My opinion on this. Jones is one of the few fighters that never lost a fight in his physical and mental prime. As far as I'm concerned, when he beat antonio tarver to regain the lhw championship he was unoffically 50-0 breaking marciano's record. Officially he was 49-1, I believe due to the dq. Everyones beatable but I think theres an argument for 2 fighters in their prime that were unbeatable, and thats mike tyson and roy jones and it would have took a mike tyson to beat jones and a jones to beat tyson if the weights were relevant. Just by 2 cents. Jones was the most amazing athlete I have ever seen with possibly the most god given talent of any athlete of all time. He was simply amazing to watch in his prime. And yes, I'm biased, who isn't....

Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
    no, he was a sensational boxer but in my opinion a bit over hyped by the media due to him being american. Also for one reasons or another a lot of top boxing fights did not get made with him
    Reason being no one wanted to fight him. I rank James Toney over every fighter people claim he ducked, yet he dominated a 44-0 james toney.

Originally posted by Nike Phats View Post
    I thought he was phenomenal, and would have given most any MW fighter EVER, a tough time.
    I believe he defeats SRR at middleweight. He was faster, stronger, and had better foot movement. Plus back then, roy could take anyones best shot when he had too.

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post
    Jones was an exceptional fighter that would of could of beaten almost anyone but i think if he had fought as many top fighters as some of the ATG's do/did on a more consistent basis that sooner or later someone would of caught up to him, Montell Griffin gave him enough problems in their fight, Del Valle had him over and we know what Tarver did, albeit he can be excused slightly for that due to age, so no i dont think he was unbeatable.
    Jones dominated DelValle every round. The kd was jones left foot slipping out from under him due to a wet canvas that both fighters battled all night, watch the fight. Tarver got beat by a drained jones, and that was about the last of jones physical prime. Griffin did give him problems but look what happened in the rematch.

Originally posted by chicano79us View Post
    Jones only looked unbeatable based on the comp he faced.
    James Toney, 44-0, enough said.

Originally posted by The Wire View Post
    Roy did look good beating up bums didn't he....
    Most of those "bum" went on to become world champion.

Originally posted by The Guru_ View Post
    Jones was never unbeatable, Montiel Griffin was giving him hell in the first fight and Griffin is hardly a ****in elite level fighter.
    That debatable. Griffin has beat James Toney twice, and was undefeated until jones ruined him in their rematch. I'd say he was elite. You don't defeat a prime james toney unless your elite.

Originally posted by Chunk View Post
    A lot of Euro's at the time(Roy's prime) were well worthy of a fight with Roy. I could make a list as long as my arm.
    Yes you could, sadly they didn't want the fight. Many are on record saying they didn't want to fight jones.

Originally posted by Hellboy View Post
    You're joking right?
    Maybe need to fresh up on your boxing history, its well known.

Eubank sonned Malinga.
    Sd is sonning? And yes I've seen the fight? What Jones did to Malinga was a sonning.

You should watch the fight first before saying ****e that like. He didn't 'ek' out anything.

I don't care for Robin Ried so fuck knows why you brought him up?
    Let me guess, you dont care for RR because he unofficially beat Calzaghe? Thought so.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      When was Nunn the mandatory?

How did he lose his ranking?

Or did he never lose it?

Was Nunn ever given the chance to fight for the LHW title?

Simple questions, Battling.
      Why don't you educate us all since you know it all?

Comment

• Originally posted by lfc19titles View Post
        1998, anyone who thought roy would beat calzaghe was insane. Both fans are deluded as you have proved (no offence) but everyone knows roy as shot to peices and calzaghe was still a top boxer

oh and the other guy, yes he did almost bankrupt hbo, check when he signed the contract and how much money he got, they lost money on almost every fight. kinda like how harrison killed boxing in uk
        Uh even if they lost money how would they have been bankrupted?

And Jones did avoid Jirov for Woods. Oh boy I'm soooo deluded. Go back to sucking off the British press.

You have yet to even backtrack on your PPV or Maligna mistake.

On top of that let's be honest, you just didn't know American fighters back then and bought up all the hype the UK press fed you. Correct?

Comment

Jones definitely ducked Jirov for Clinton Woods. The money was larger for Jirov and it wasn't like the audience would be any different. Battling Nelson just doesn't know what he's talking about so he'd rather hide his lack of knowledge behind vague statements he can't back up.
          You're a ******. You perfectly well know that I've made a list of fighters Jones did not fight at SMW.

Comment

Please. Please stop.
            this time i actually am going but saying stuff like that doesnt change the truth mate

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
              What's your degree in? Basket weaving?

Basic Logic: YOU made a statement: Roy ducked Nunn.

Now YOU have to back it up with facts and proof.

You can't just go "well you explain it know it all nyah nyah" like a four year old. You made a statement, now back it up.

Pretty simple.

Comment

• No he got knocked down in one of his fights.

Comment

this time i actually am going but saying stuff like that doesnt change the truth mate
                  Don't answer any real questions just run off just like your buddy Calzaghe. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Stop trying to be a wuss. You said he avoided him but now don't know ****. Not that I was ever fooled.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X