Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was De La Hoya v. Whitaker really a robbery?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was De La Hoya v. Whitaker really a robbery?

I just watched the fight again. I thought Whitaker was amazing at his late stage in his career. But I thought De La Hoya won it by 2 rounds. I actually thought the one knock out in the fight was more of a slip. Their feet got tangled. More importantly... I think the myth of this being a robbery is definitely unsubstantiated.
    Last edited by prolific; 06-02-2014, 04:11 PM.

I thought DLH won. Whitaker had great defense but nothing else. People exaggerating like always.

Comment

how many people on here actually watched the fight? it was a close fight the cards were wider than they should be but oscar won in the end IMO only whitaker fanboys will cry about this

Comment

Originally posted by Holywarrior View Post
        how many people on here actually watched the fight? it was a close fight the cards were wider than they should be but oscar won in the end IMO only whitaker fanboys will cry about this
        I definitely think the score cards were wide. That annoyed me. I think cj Roth was one of the judges lol.

Comment

ODLH didn't run away with that fight like the score cards suggests.

The same can be said about Marquez vs Barrera

Comment

I don't think most people consider it a robbery. It's generally acknowledged as a close fight either guy could have won.

Comment

Originally posted by prolific View Post
              I just watched the fight again. I thought Whitaker was amazing at his late stage in his career. But I thought De La Hoya won it by 2 rounds. I actually thought the one knock out in the fight was more of a slip. Their feet got tangled. More importantly... I think the myth of this being a robbery is definitely unsubstantiated.
              No Whitaker show boated to much didn't throw enough punches

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                I thought DLH won. Whitaker had great defense but nothing else. People exaggerating like always.
                Originally posted by prolific View Post
                You guys might as well end the thread, spot on.

Robbery is too big a word and as I've often said on this site, Whitaker did all he could to frustrate Oscar and make the fight ugly but he never once did enough to win the majority of the rounds. Yes he made Oscar miss but where was his own offence? Yes he taunted and preened but did he ever back Oscar up? Oscar pressed the action and threw the punches. He didn't look good but he won.

Comment

No robbery but the the judges had it way too wide

Chuck Giampa 115-111 | judge: Jerry Roth 116-110 | judge: Dalby Shirley 116-110

Comment

No. Press scores favored Whitaker 14-11. Pretty even fight that could go either way.

Comment

Working...
                    X