Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dempsey vs. Marciano

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure jack johnson had it the hardest, not dempsey.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
      I'm pretty sure jack johnson had it the hardest, not dempsey.
      Not really, Johnson wasn't homeless or starving to death like Dempsey.

Comment

It was close, and Johnson had to deal with the racism of the time (which is difficult to even imagine today where racism is still alive but not to the extend it was hten, clearl), but reading his autobiography I did not get the impression he was clinging to the bottoms of trains riding the rails everywhere he went. Johnson was a big man, even when he was only 16, and had consistent work as a longshoreman. Dempsey was a skinny half starved 130-140 lber when he was that age, and lived out west where the long way to make a decent living was dangerous work like mining and lumber where death was always around the corner.

Johnson had it bad, but I give it to Dempsey because he was out west living under harsher weather and elements, and was a smaller guy growing up who was an easy target (unless they actually fought him) for the hobos living out there. Dempsey was protecting himself from rape, robbery, and murder when he was just out of puberty.

Johnson had to do a lot of physical labor as well but he rode around in train cars (much, much safer than riding the rails) and was better fed in general to my knowledge. I don't recall ever hearing or reading that Johnson starved as a young man.

Clearly Johnson had it very rough but I think Dempsey had it worse.

Comment

no white man had it worse then a black man in those times.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
            It was close, and Johnson had to deal with the racism of the time (which is difficult to even imagine today where racism is still alive but not to the extend it was hten, clearl), but reading his autobiography I did not get the impression he was clinging to the bottoms of trains riding the rails everywhere he went. Johnson was a big man, even when he was only 16, and had consistent work as a longshoreman. Dempsey was a skinny half starved 130-140 lber when he was that age, and lived out west where the long way to make a decent living was dangerous work like mining and lumber where death was always around the corner.

Johnson had it bad, but I give it to Dempsey because he was out west living under harsher weather and elements, and was a smaller guy growing up who was an easy target (unless they actually fought him) for the hobos living out there. Dempsey was protecting himself from rape, robbery, and murder when he was just out of puberty.

Johnson had to do a lot of physical labor as well but he rode around in train cars (much, much safer than riding the rails) and was better fed in general to my knowledge. I don't recall ever hearing or reading that Johnson starved as a young man.

Clearly Johnson had it very rough but I think Dempsey had it worse.
            johnsons parents were slaves you have a lot of racist tendencies

Comment

Originally posted by realheavyhands View Post
              That's a generalization and just not true. The average black man had it worse than the average white men, yes, but the above statement you made is incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles View Post
                That's a generalization and just not true. The average black man had it worse than the average white men, yes, but the above statement you made is incorrect.
                his parents were only former slaves.. wtf

Comment

A prime Dempsey vs. prime Marciano would probably resemble the fight that Dempsey had with Firpo. A lot of heavy leather being thrown and both men hitting the canvass. It is not clear to me who is the last guy to go down.

Comment

Originally posted by realheavyhands View Post
                    Well the fact that Johnson would go home and change his suits like twice a day, and Dempsey fought so he could eat should really tip you off too who had it worse....

Comment

Originally posted by RockyMarcianofan00 View Post
                      Well the fact that Johnson would go home and change his suits like twice a day, and Dempsey fought so he could eat should really tip you off too who had it worse....

Comment

Working...
                      X