No announcement yet.

General USA Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
    I think the problems with him and getting the credit he deserves are as follows:

1) He's only fought 2 opponents in the last 2 years, both dudes were old (for 12 rd decisions)

2) He should have never ever had the rematch with Tarver. No one wanted to see it, it was boring and he took up a HBO championship boxing date.

3) He has no real belt right now.

4) He could have fought Cloud in a fight everyone wanted to see somewhere along the line.

5) It appears that he's not even fighting until May or after, which will be at least 7 months since his last fight, no activity.

I was all over Dawson after the Adamek fight but am only lukewarm on him now because he just lost all his momentum.
    Those older fighters were the most notable opponents who would fight him.

Even though he doesn't have a strap now, he had two the WBC and IBF straps that he vacated.

Who wants to see the Cloud fight? Only hardcore fans like us.
    Who's fault is that? I say Clouds because he is totally unknown and has beaten only 18 unknowns and 2 past prime gatekeepers but only sees fit to fight 1 time a year which is why HBO said no to the Cloud fight so what is Dawson supposed to do?

Its like ppl were upset that he didn't rematch Johnson and tried to get a notable win over Tarver, he does that and had to take a mano rematch that got pushed back, then he rematches Johnson beats him easily. After this he gets knocked for fighting old guys, so now he is fighting Pascal and ppl say he is ducking Cloud who has done what to deserve a shot at the #1 guy?

It just seems like Dawson can't win with fans and always gets blamed for things that are not really his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
      Those older fighters were the most notable opponents who would fight him.

Even though he doesn't have a strap now, he had two the WBC and IBF straps that he vacated.

Who wants to see the Cloud fight? Only hardcore fans like us.
      Who's fault is that? I say Clouds because he is totally unknown and has beaten only 18 unknowns and 2 past prime gatekeepers but only sees fit to fight 1 time a year which is why HBO said no to the Cloud fight so what is Dawson supposed to do?
      Its like ppl were upset that he didn't rematch Johnson and tried to get a notable win over Tarver, he does that and had to take a mano rematch that got pushed back, then he rematches Johnson beats him easily. After this he gets knocked for fighting old guys, so now he is fighting Pascal and ppl say he is ducking Cloud who has done what to deserve a shot at the #1 guy?

It just seems like Dawson can't win with fans and always gets blamed for things that are not really his fault.
      I agree with you, but his mgt is doing him no favors either. Cloud fought his way to chad's
      mandatory, and while I agree that doesn't say much- he is entertaining to watch. His mgt should have kept him busy and in the public eye, especially with his skills.

I think the pascal fight can do a lot to change public perception. There's not all that much going on at lhw fght now either, which is another problem he faces. He can wait for the smw tourney or possibly go down to 168 (I remember hearing HD was considering this).

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Liquor View Post
        I agree with you, but his mgt is doing him no favors either. Cloud fought his way to chad's
        mandatory, and while I agree that doesn't say much- he is entertaining to watch. His mgt should have kept him busy and in the public eye, especially with his skills.

I think the pascal fight can do a lot to change public perception. There's not all that much going on at lhw fght now either, which is another problem he faces. He can wait for the smw tourney or possibly go down to 168 (I remember hearing HD was considering this).
        The Cloud fight will eventually happen because there is no one really better right now or more exciting, but Pascal deserves it 1st. 2 wins over Diaconu > anything Cloud has done yet.

I seriously doubt Dawson goes down to SMW if he is coming into fights on FN weighing over 190.

Comment

The Cloud fight will eventually happen because there is no one really better right now or more exciting, but Pascal deserves it 1st. 2 wins over Diaconu > anything Cloud has done yet.

I seriously doubt Dawson goes down to SMW if he is coming into fights on FN weighing over 190.
          Chris Henry was a possibility, we'll see what happens with him.

I wasn't sure about Dawson going down, but I swear I heard somewhere he was considering it.

Comment

Pascal is a pretty good challenge for Dawson. Favor Chad, but it can really go either way. I ain't impressed much by Cloud. These the only 2 names really left for Chad right now. Johnson might be able to beat Cloud, tho I think time has caught up to him. Just not a lot goin down at 175. Win or lose, both Bhop and RJ should retire after the rematch. Chad is about a big a star as he can be in a dull division right now.
            Last edited by MANGLER; 03-02-2010, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MANGLER View Post
              Pascal is a pretty good challenge for Dawson. Favor Chad, but it can really go either way. I ain't impressed much by Cloud. These the only 2 names really left for Chad right now. Johnson might be able to beat Cloud, tho I think time has caught up to him. Just not a lot goin down at 175. Win or lose, both Bhop and RJ should retire after the rematch. Chad is about a big a star as he can be in a dull division right now.
              I mean Iceta will get his way regardless because Cloud will get his shot by default if he gets past Johnson even if its close....there just isn't much for Chad to do like you said and I don't buy what Hopkins said about unifying titles at 175 after the Roy fight.

Comment

I mean Iceta will get his way regardless because Cloud will get his shot by default if he gets past Johnson even if its close....there just isn't much for Chad to do like you said and I don't buy what Hopkins said about unifying titles at 175 after the Roy fight.
                At best, Bhop-RJ winner fights an alphabet titlist, any of em but Dawson.

Comment

Originally posted by MANGLER View Post
                  At best, Bhop-RJ winner fights an alphabet titlist, any of em but Dawson.
                  Shumenov would be easy picking for the winner if they wanted to give the kid a payday just for his strap.

Comment

Shumenov would be easy picking for the winner if they wanted to give the kid a payday just for his strap.
                    Not enough $ in that fight. When Bhop wins, I'm guessing he tries to get Bute again.

He wouldn't fight for small money and Bute is his best bet, unless the Quietman beats Haye.

Comment

Working...
                    X