Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any books you guys would recommend to a young fan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one book I'd suggest for any new fan wanting to learn more about past legends is a book called:

"The 100 Greatest Boxers of All Time" by the late great Burt Randolph Sugar.

It ranks fighters from the pre-gloved era all the way up to the 1980's, but I think there was also a revised edition released that took a little bit more recent fighters into account. A great book that I never get tired of perusing.

Another boxing related book that I enjoyed was "Raging Bull" by Jake LaMotta. If you like the movie, the book will shock you and blow your mind. There were so many crazy events that were left out of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonhead_Jeff View Post
      The one book I'd suggest for any new fan wanting to learn more about past legends is a book called:

"The 100 Greatest Boxers of All Time" by the late great Burt Randolph Sugar.

It ranks fighters from the pre-gloved era all the way up to the 1980's, but I think there was also a revised edition released that took a little bit more recent fighters into account. A great book that I never get tired of perusing.

Another boxing related book that I enjoyed was "Raging Bull" by Jake LaMotta. If you like the movie, the book will shock you and blow your mind. There were so many crazy events that were left out of the movie.
      Very true. I read that book before I saw the movie which is probably why I always thought the movie has been somewhat overrated. The book was excellent and as good as any boxing autobiography I've ever read.

Comment

Charli Magri Champagne Magri

Comment

If you want stories from the 40s-60s there is truly no one better than AJ Liebling. I would highly, highly recommend The Sweet Science. It was actually recognized as the greatest sports book ever by SI years back. After reading that one, pick up A Neutral Corner his followup work. Excellent writer for the New Yorker who had a great sense of humor and really loved the fight game.

Comment

For those that got the Harry greb book; would you recommend it? Remember it being kind of expensive. Also did I use that semi colon correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by Granite View Post
              For those that got the Harry greb book; would you recommend it? Remember it being kind of expensive. Also did I use that semi colon correctly?
              I haven't read the book, but the semi colon was perfect

Comment

I would recommend "When I demolished a uterus" and "My carnal conquests - the naked truth" by Jack "BBC" Johnson.

Both are essential reading and should be readily available at your local library.

Comment

I'd say the four kings would be good to start when looking into the 80s. The hands of stone and ray Leonard's biography are good.

One good book I enjoyed was joe calzaghe's book. It was written before he retired to he was in the middleweight division and hadn't fought hopkins or jones by the time it was written. But it is a very interesting read in how he details his early amateur career, the on and offs of boxing, his hand problems and his roadwork. It's gives a very in depth look at the life of a fighter through amateurs and pro. And his comments about the introduction of headgear and new scoring in the ams is pretty good too

Comment

Comment

No point in me posting the review here as well, but check it out in the thread " New Book - Pugilatus"

Comment

Working...
                      X