Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Had Marciano not retired would Patterson have become champion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
    After watching Archie Moore give Marciano hell in the Rock's final fight. Who honestly would have predicted Patterson's masterful display against Moore to win the title? By KO too! The guy was ludicruously quick.

If the fight hadn't actually happened how would a poll '1956 Archie Moore vs Floyd Patterson who wins?' go down in these parts? I think most would pick Archie and probably by KO. Floyd's chances at head to head matches are often overlooked due to his less than stellar chin......but it didn't always let him down.

Patterson could be quite superb at times and a victory over the Rocky that met Moore wouldn't be by any means ridiculous.

I'd put my money on the Rock pulling off a late/behind on points victory in 1956. But an upset wouldn't be a huge surprise......

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
    I like Marciano to knock Patterson out. Floyd would have a chance with his insane speed and his skills but ultimately i see Rocky closing the ring down on Floyd and knocking him silly with a big right hand or two fisted attack. Floyd's chin would let him down im afraid. Patterson had Power too though and as solid as Marciano was i could see him hitting the floor early on but he'd get up and put it on the rabbit
    Agree with these two posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Patterson was brave, but his manager wasn't. He fought Liston because it had become a joke how long he had been ducking him. Never defended against dangerous contenders like Machen, Foley, Williams, etc. Fought some second level contenders instead and got dropped more than once.

I once asked Patterson on a call in TV show if he regretted not getting to fight Marciano. Without even hesitating, he plainly said "no". True story.
      you gotta think though, that if rock was still champion while floyd was making his way up the ranks, he'd had to have fought him eventually.

Comment

Marciano would have knocked him out before the end of the 5th round.

Comment

Marciano would have found a way, using his nice angles, to find Patterson's chin and knock him out.

Comment

i take back what i said, floyd patterson won the title a year after rocky retired, so taking account that timeline, rocky ko's patterson if they'd met in 56'.

Comment

Perhaps Marciano retired at the right time, he wasn't getting any younger. I'm sure he felt sooner or later he would take the bucket to the well and the bucket would come back empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                I'd say it had been highly unlikely as his glass jaw would most likely succumb to the Rock's power...
                answer no rock had too much punching power and put too much constant pressure on for a small heavyweight like patterson even with his speed, rocky would get to him during the fight

Comment

No way!

No way Patterson beats Marciano, with luck 1 outta 10 times if they fought.

they would put on a great fight as long as it lasted but Floyd's style would perfect for Marciano to eventually catch him, and he would bang him up and hurt him on the way to the KO.

Now Liston -Marciano is another story, would have been a war until someone went down, whoever hit the other one 1st with the big one wins, maybe Listons long reach and boxing might be the advantage, but maybe the Rock does as he always does, keeps plugging and pounding until like Chavez vs Taylor, he beats his opponent down over the fight and then Ko's him.

Comment

Patterson's chin would eventually meet a marciano bomb, and that would be the fight..

I don't see how floyd could last all 15 Rds with marciano

Comment

I think Patterson is more fairly compared to 175lbers.

Great style and awesome speed, but too small and especially too chinny to match up well vs the top HWs

Comment

Working...
                      X