Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Winky Wright be inducted into the Hall of Fame some day?

Does Winky Wright deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    52.78%
    I don't know enough about Winky Wright's career to answer this question
    5.56%

Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Jay View Post
      Why not?

If Barrera does, then Winky Wright sure as hell does.
      woooooow. dude. kidding me? Barrera is one of the greatest boxers I ever saw and on my scorecards he beat Morales three times. If Barrera doesnt belong into the hall of fame, then NOBODY BELONGS THERE.

Comment

If you have to ask, they usually don't deserve to be in. As much as I love Wink, he isn't a hall of famer. Then again the Boxing HOF is one of the worst when you compare it to other sports.

Comment

No, he can't get into the HoF based of beating a prime Mosley, although that was a great win for him, even if he lost to Vernon already

He's a good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. If they had a Hall of Good, he'd make it. No meaningful wins in what, eight or nine years? And before that, he fought some good comp, but nothing ground breaking. The one legit (almost) great fighter he fought, he lost to.

If he had taken the belt away from Taylor and beaten Hopkins, I'd probably vote in his favor. In the grand scheme of things, and maybe I think the HoF is more prestigious in all sports than what they've become, but for me the bar is raised and Wright won't be remembered for anything all that spectacular

Comment

If Shane Mosley is going why not Winky? Winky won more of his big fights than Mosley and even beat Mosley twice. Aside from beating Trinidad and Quartey, I think he got robbed against Vargas, Hopkins (YES Hopkins), and Taylor.
            Last edited by Mr.0pal; 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JmH Reborn View Post
              No, he can't get into the HoF based of beating a prime Mosley, although that was a great win for him, even if he lost to Vernon already

He's a good fighter, nothing more and nothing less. If they had a Hall of Good, he'd make it. No meaningful wins in what, eight or nine years? And before that, he fought some good comp, but nothing ground breaking. The one legit (almost) great fighter he fought, he lost to.

If he had taken the belt away from Taylor and beaten Hopkins, I'd probably vote in his favor. In the grand scheme of things, and maybe I think the HoF is more prestigious in all sports than what they've become, but for me the bar is raised and Wright won't be remembered for anything all that spectacular
              but let me say this: why does Shane Mosley belong into the hall of fame?? he had quite some defences at lightweight against mostly average competition, then he has 2 wins over De la Hoya while he was on roids, and the 2nd one wasnt even a real win. Furthermore he lost all his big fights against Forrest (twice), Winky Wright (twice) and lost to Miguel Cotto and got outclassed by Pacquiao and Mayweather. and those 2 wins against a totally shot Vargas dont mean anything really.
              Sugar Shane into the hall of fame???

Comment

Originally posted by raskat View Post
                but let me say this: why does Shane Mosley belong into the hall of fame?? he had quite some defences at lightweight against mostly average competition, then he has 2 wins over De la Hoya while he was on roids, and the 2nd one wasnt even a real win. Furthermore he lost all his big fights against Forrest (twice), Winky Wright (twice) and lost to Miguel Cotto and got outclassed by Pacquiao and Mayweather. and those 2 wins against a totally shot Vargas dont mean anything really.
                Sugar Shane into the hall of fame???
                Exactly. Other than Oscar Shane's biggest wins were against Margarito and Vargas.

Comment

It's on the fence for me. When you see some people that have made the HOF, you look and say "Well yeah, Winky Wright was as good as they were". Winky got robbed a lot throughout his career. And you could reasonably argue that his only losses were to Vasquez when he pretty young, Hopkins and Williams when he was past it. He didn't lose to Simon and Vargas, and his fight with Taylor wasn't a draw. And though Winky was past it against Hopkins, many felt that fight was much closer than the scorecards indicated as well.

So, he should have McKart, Dodson, Simon, Vargas, Mosley, Trinidad (though he was past his prime), Taylor, and Quartey on his resume. If that were the case, he'd without a doubt he a HOF in my book. But, based on the controversial losses or draw, he only has MacKart, Dodson, Mosley, Trinidad, and Quartey on there.

I'd say no because he wasn't awarded those fights, where most he'd felt he'd won. But, in all reality, if Winky isn't a HOF fighter, than what's on JMM resume that makes him an ATG/HOF, like many call him????? JMM's notable wins are Peden, Gainer, Salido, Polo, Barrera (past his prime), Juarez, Casamayor, Katsidis, and J. Diaz. I agree he should have a win or two against Manny Pacquiao, but he doesn't. So, if people are going to award JMM the title of a HOF or ATG, largely based on his performances against Pacquiao, where many felt he deserved a decision or two, shouldn't Winky get some credit for his fights with Taylor, Vargas, and Simon, where most felt he won the fight???

Mosley's notable wins are Holiday, Molina, Ruiz, E. Morales, Rivera, De La Hoya, A. Diaz, S. Taylor, Cruz, Vargas, Collazo, Mayorga, and Margarito. So, Mosley had a very good career, but was also on the right side of the decision in his two biggest wins. You can say the same about Winky against Mosley, but most felt Winky had won, where as a lot felt Oscar won at least one of those fights with Shane. Also, Shane was on PED's in those fights, so yeah. Shane had a very good career, but Winky was on the wrong side of every decision accept for the Shane Mosley fights.
                  Last edited by 4Corners; 02-12-2012, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.0pal View Post
                    If Shane Mosley is going why not Winky? Winky won more of his big fights than Mosley and even beat Mosley twice. Aside from beating Trinidad and Quartey, I think he got robbed against Vargas, Hopkins (YES Hopkins), and Taylor.
                    I felt the Hopkins-Wright should have been a draw. I didnt score it but I felt the commentary was totally pro Hopkins biased and the truth is nothing really happened in this fight.
                    I could see a draw but I didnt see how Hopkins won this fight

Comment

Working...
                    X