No announcement yet.

Weighted Running.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
    Well doing anything once a month is not going to do much of anything for you. I don't understand why you are bent on doing this potentially harmful exercise that doesn't really help you in any way. If you want to run, run. If you want to lift weights, lift weights. But don't incorporate running with weights on your ankles because that creates momentum which leads to injury. You said walking around with them all day has already lead to knee pain. Running with them will lead to much worse in a few years. Take my advice and scrap them completely. Your joints will thank you for it one day.
    Let him do what he feels is neccessary, time will be his ultimate truth.

Comment

the thing about jogging with ankle weights is that they create a certain amount of force at the end of your legs. i have used them before and i wouldn't necessarily recommend them.

the fulcrum - which would sort of be the knee bearing the weight pressure in this case, will accumulate unnecessary stress which could lead to ligament or muscle damage in the legs or lower back - depending on how you compensate for the added weight.

weighted vests would be a better choice than ankle weights i would say. either way i would take it slow and methodically.

Comment

when i used to run track, i would wear them also to run with, but then my coach said that it was not good for the ankles and feet, when running. Maybe when your are just sparring, or lifting weights, it's ok, but not when running, you could do serious damage to your feet and ankles in the long run.

Comment

you want to run up hills or steps!!!
          wieghts will realy damage you and your joints will hurt even when you walk in a few years time!

Comment

If you want intense roadwork sessions, you could sprint up a hill carrying a sandbag, jog down, sprint back up and take the bag back with you, and repeat. Wouldn't recommend doing it more than twice a week though.

Comment

Originally posted by tebe6sm
              If you want intense roadwork sessions, you could sprint up a hill carrying a sandbag, jog down, sprint back up and take the bag back with you, and repeat. Wouldn't recommend doing it more than twice a week though.

yeah, me and a buddy did that when he was training for the firefighters test, like a fool i said i'd train with him, after we did a ****load of plyos. the next day when i was sparring i could still feel it, i wouldn't recommend doing that more than twice a week either

Comment

What do u guys think about weighted vests?

I bought a 20 # vest from title and use it for my runs .
                I can really feel my legs getting a good burn.

Comment

Working...
                X