Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Should Gennady Golovkin Do Next?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fight a couple more names at Middleweight and then move up. The great ones all move up. Challenging the winner of Ward/Kvalev would be pretty ballsy, but it would definitely be an admirable thing to do.

Comment

Take it fight by fight, I guess. Look for the best opponent that is worth the risk. Right now it is Alvarez, Jacobs, Saunders, Lara, and Eubank. Maybe Eubank will happen, and while I'm not particularly excited it's fine.

Golovkin got where he is by fighting the best willing opponent. He needs to go back to doing that rather than go just for the big fight and fight disappointing fighters when the big fight falls through.

Comment

BJS > Jacobs > defend all belts agaisnt a 154'er titleholder (andrade et all) or a middleweight prospect (eubanks) then move up.

in an ideal world.

slim to none chance that will actually happen though.

Comment

Btw, Golovkin would be INSANE to step up and fight the Ward/Kovalev winner lol that definitely ain't happening.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
            The only major fights at 160 are Canelo, Jacobs and Saunders, none of which will happen this year. He turns 35 next year and father time is undefeated in boxing. His options include:

1. Camp out at 160 and fight fringe contenders and up and comers until the big fights come along.

What I like about this

This option keeps him the most active, allows him to continue to chase the record for MW title defenses and will put pressure on the other top fighters to make the big fight happen. Plus a fight with Eubank will increase his name recognition in the UK which could potentially get Saunders the ridiculous dollars he's looking for.

What I dislike about this

His recent level of opposition has been subpar and I cannot stand to see another Dominic Wade/Willie Monroe Jr. type opponent. Also, at age 35, father time will catch him at some point and I would hate to see the career of a fighter of this caliber be controlled by Canelo.

2. Go after some top fighters at 154 such as Lara, Andrade and the Charlos.

What I like about this

There was a point in time where these junior divisions did not exist. Their existence has really watered down the sport. Imagine how strong a combined 154/160 division would be. To me, these wins enhance his resume against higher caliber of opposition than exists at 160.

Even if he beats a top fighter at 154 he will not receive full credit for beating up on a smaller guy moving up in weight.

3. Move up to 168

What I like about this

Many of the ATG's of the past all moved up in weight and established themselves as elite fighters in several weight classes. Plus, fighters with size advantages may be more willing to fight him.

Since Ward left the division this move has become less intriguing. Outside of Jack and Degale, fighters are still mostly unproven (Zurdo), past prime (Abraham, Bute) or have already proven to be nothing more than fringe contenders (The Dirrels).

4.Shoot for the top

What I like about this

Challenging the winner of Ward/Kovalev would take balls and a victory would solidify ATG status.

What I don't like about this

I just don't think he can beat those guys and the risk is not worth the reward.

Thoughts?

record for most title defenses of an alphabet belt is 20.....lineal is 14...he has a long way to go....when did he become Super or full wba champion? that'll be when the trinket defenses start but as of now he is no where near the record that Matters, which is 14 and is held by ATG who FOUGHT for the title and the lineal title at that in Carlos Monzon

if he was younger I'd say he should camp out at 160, but since he is old I think he should go after the title holders at 160...no one at 154 is gonna move up anytime soon to fight him, maybe except Lara....he is one of the eldest of the 154-160 camp

He wont be shooting to the top....if he the fight with ward didnt happen at 168...it definitely wont happen at 175...lets be real....he has no chance vs Ward...he'll get dominated...Kov would batter him too

He is between a rock and a hard place at 35...no wins over elite opponents....2/3 belts handed to him...its time to take risks time if he wants to be remembered as a great fighter

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
              Nice thread.

I think the plan should be to fight Eubank in August/Sept and then make sure the WBA orders the Jacobs fight to happen in December. Then in 2017, K2 should do their best to get Canelo/Golden Boy to sign an agreement for the fight. A verbal agreement is not good enough. A written agreement, as we have seen, doesn't guarantee a fight, but it can be helpful, as we are seeing with Kovalev-Ward.
              Well if that's the case hopefully Eubank Jr Can dispatch of this guy at the weekend with ease.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                I didn't think of Andrade. He's definitely a tougher opponent for GGG than Lara, if you're judging from recent performances.

Lara failed to impress against Vanes but Andrade looked extremely polished, motivated and showed a killer instinct in his last fight against Nelson. I'm not sure that there's too much upside for Andrade. He probably beats the Charlo bros and other top fighters in the division with much more ease than against Golvokin. Against Golovkin, win or lose, he's gonna take some punishment.
                Lara looked crappy against Vanes imo and Vanes hasn't looked good in a while. Maybe he's just tough for Lara idk

Andrade is the best at 154 as far as I'm concerned. He stated he wants to unify 154 first then he'd love to fight Golovkin. So to me, that sounds like 1-2 years away, unifying can be tricky to say the least so the timing might not be there (especially if Golovkin goes up next year). I think if anyone at 154 is able to test Golovkin it's Andrade. He has legit skills and his size fits perfectly fine at middleweight. His issue was never his talent, just his inactivity. Hopefully he stays active this time around and "fast tracks" his career (I'd love to see the Charlo fights immediately or at least Andrade vs Lara). I just hope his management has the same idea and doesn't dick around for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                  why would GGG do anything other than stay at 160? He has a verbal agreement for a big money fight with Canelo in Fall 2017. HBO will not do anything to ruin this so they will pay him his regular money and only approve guys that GGG can KO.
                  you a hater doe....lol...i agree this is exactly what hbo is doing...let him rack up belts.....2/3 he never fought for anyway...when the opponent is crap, you can just sya its a mandatory...his d!ckriders will excuse this and HBO will hype up the no name and his name all the while we wait for him to prove he is p4p, while not taking risks...this has been 3 years and going....he is gonna be washed up before he fights an elite fighter.

Comment

have a stay busy fight vs Malinaggi...then Broner...then Danny Garcia

Comment

So another year and a half of predictable, one sided fights that mean absolutely nothing.

Comment

Working...
                      X