No announcement yet.

DRM is the future of gaming, like it or not

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRM is the future of gaming, like it or not

Microsoft is (rightfully) taking a lot of **** for this, but DRM has been the subject of debate within the gaming community for years now. Video game developers and publishers alike both embrace the technology as a means of cutting losses and ensuring profit. Everytime a game is sold privately or via chain retailer like Gamestop, the developers and publishers of that game don't see a cent of the resale money.

The next generation of console video games may not embrace the DRM standard, but it's only a matter of time before publishers and developers alike demand it or work exclusively with companies like Microsoft who support it.

BTW, this isn't some f*ggy XB1 fanboy thread - You'd be hard pressed to find someone more anti-DRM than myself. I'm just stating the obvious here. The future of gaming doesn't look very bright from where I'm sitting.

What is drm?

Comment

Originally posted by bigsmoothh View Post
      What is drm?
      Digital rights management

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Comment

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=drm

Comment

http://kotaku.com/cant-get-an-xbox-o...-360-512742247

That is clearly what they want you to buy into at Microsoft right now but it should be optional not forced what kind of **** is that if i dont connect my xbox to their servers it literally turns into a **** brick . If anything ive learned is that the consumer shapes the market not the other way around, while we should find ways to reward publishers it shouldn't be done by fking over the consumers.

ANd i think Gamers just set a big precedent and they will when the xbox one has to change it's policies because it's going to bomb world wide so bad that they will never attempt that again.

Comment

There is power within the gamers/consumers though. Eventually people will get fed up (by either playing games on PCs or whatever other alternative technologies may be available in ten years).

Comment

If or when that happens I'm done with gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
                Microsoft is (rightfully) taking a lot of **** for this, but DRM has been the subject of debate within the gaming community for years now. Video game developers and publishers alike both embrace the technology as a means of cutting losses and ensuring profit. Everytime a game is sold privately or via chain retailer like Gamestop, the developers and publishers of that game don't see a cent of the resale money.

The next generation of console video games may not embrace the DRM standard, but it's only a matter of time before publishers and developers alike demand it or work exclusively with companies like Microsoft who support it.

BTW, this isn't some f*ggy XB1 fanboy thread - You'd be hard pressed to find someone more anti-DRM than myself. I'm just stating the obvious here. The future of gaming doesn't look very bright from where I'm sitting.
                Not as long as Sony is succesful.

If sony adopts it too, then the PC will be succesful, and other forms of Non-DRM media will arise.

Comment

Once one company starts doing it, the rest will follow.

Why would they sit back and lose profit at the expense of fuelling a market they have no hand in. The only companies that suffer from DRM is the gaming shops that sell pre-owned games, they've already experienced a downfall with the rise in supermarkets outselling 'em for new releases.

What about renting a game? No longer possible?

That's Blockbuster and a few other companies that'll suffer. Whether Sony is successful or not, I agree with Bringer. We ain't seen nothing yet in terms of restriction and bullshit policies regarding gaming and the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
                    Not as long as Sony is succesful.

If sony adopts it too, then the PC will be succesful, and other forms of Non-DRM media will arise
                    PC's main and most succesful method of buying of games is STEAM

STEAM has been using DRM for SEVEN YEARS.....

Comment

Working...
                    X