No announcement yet.

Pascal-Hopkins, a Canadian not named G dogs scorecard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pascal-Hopkins, a Canadian not named G dogs scorecard

I know a lot has been discussed already, with more and more people ''coming out of the closet'' and admitting they think it was a fair draw.

I knew I had to re-watch the fight and score it round by round, because as dominating as Hopkins was in 2/3 of the fight, he was put on his ass twice, and that's not good news for him on the cards.

Watching it live, I felt Hopkins had won, but you got to go with that scoring system, and not with your feelings...

1 : 10-8 Pascal, close round before the KD

2 : very close round, got it 10-10

3 : close round but KD scored, 10-8 Pascal

4 : Hopkins round, working the body, Pascal not landing enough, Hopkins 10-9

5 : Hopkins more active, lands downstairs, but Pascal lands the better punches upstairs. Close, but 10-9 Pascal. Pascal also looks fatigued. He's missing wild, loaded up punches.

6 : Hopkins imposes himself, lands the better punches. Pascal ineffective and inactive. 10-9 Hopkins, big round for him.

7 : More of the same. Pascal inactive and missing, Hopkins landing upstairs and downstairs. Hopkins also lands his first overhand right, a punch that will be very effective for him from there on. Hopkins 10-9

(Note that the press row has Pascal slightly ahead at the end of the seventh.)

8 : Pascal waking up a little bit, more active, lands some good punches. Close round, but Hopkins misses a lot. Pascal round, 10-9.

9 : Both are landing good with the edge to Hopkins. Hopkins 10-9

(Tarver has it 85-84 Pascal up to now. I have it 86-84 Pascal.)

10 : Hopkins very effective with his right hand. Pascal lands good punches inside, rallies, but not enough to steal the round. Hopkins 10-9

11 : Good action with Hopkins getting the better of it, Hopkins 10-9

12 : Both guys have their moments, Hopkins get the better of it again, Hopkins 10-9.

Final score : 113 Pascal, 114 Hopkins.

I don't know if I must still call it a robbery. I thought I would end up with a wider score in favor of Hopkins. I scored the third a 10-10 (most people here gave it to Pascal), and I know some people will argue about the fifth or the eighth. Also note that if I hadn't scored the thrid round 10-10, it would have been a 113-113 draw on my card. But I feel the thrid was that close.

Credit to Michael Griffin who did a great job. He had no role in the outcome of the fight, his calls were all good.

Here is why this fight looks like a robbery : Hopkins dominated a lot of the rounds he won, while Pascal wasn't as dominant in the rounds he won. Plus the fact that there were 2 KDs versus more rounds won by Hopkins. It blurs the perception. The are a couple of swing rounds too. Tough fight to score in any case.

My Canadian verdict : Hopkins should have won, but this is not the most outrageous robbery I have seen if we can call it a robbery that is. In the best of cases for Pascal (even if I don't see how I could have given him the draw), it would have been a draw for Pascal.

But wait... they scored it a draw, right ?

I saw the exact same fight you did. The 2nd round I gave 10-10 because neither really imposed their will but I think alot of people gave it to Pascal just because they were watching strictly what Pascal was going to do since Hopkins got dropped by the behind the head blow. I gave rounds 4-12 to Hopkins. Pascal took him lightly especially after the knockdowns and paid for it.

Mine was a little wider, 115-111, Hopkins. He got robbed in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
      I saw the exact same fight you did. The 2nd round I gave 10-10 because neither really imposed their will but I think alot of people gave it to Pascal just because they were watching strictly what Pascal was going to do since Hopkins got dropped by the behind the head blow. I gave rounds 4-12 to Hopkins. Pascal took him lightly especially after the knockdowns and paid for it.

Mine was a little wider, 115-111, Hopkins. He got robbed in my book.
      Bernstein said it best I believe at the end of the fight : the perception we get from the fight is that Bernard won. But things get difficult when the time comes to put a score on the round.

You don't think Pascal won even one round between the 4th and the 12th ? That's a bit of an exaggeration to me, but i know how tough this fight is to score.

If such a thing exists, I guess the best card, or the one reflecting the most what happened in the fight, would be 114-112 like one judge had it.

I just noticed it doesn't work : your scorecard should read 116-111...
      Last edited by Tiozzo; 12-19-2010, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Hopkins was robbed.

He won 10 rounds to 2.

Comment

Originally posted by No Ceilings View Post
          Hopkins was robbed.

He won 10 rounds to 2.
          I believe that's a ******ed scorecard.

Pascal won at least 1 round between the 4th and the 12th. Nobody has it with such wide margins.

and Paul Will has lost that P4P no. 3 spot

Comment

Hopkins was robbed.

He won 10 rounds to 2.
            Did you lose a bet with that avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post
              I believe that's a ******ed scorecard.

Pascal won at least 1 round between the 4th and the 12th. Nobody has it with such wide margins.

and Paul Will has lost that P4P no. 3 spot
              The only 2 rounds Pascal won were the ones he got the knock downs in. Period.

Comment

hopkins did'nt do enough .....

Comment

You know, throughout all the nonsense, I think the work of the ref has been overlooked, he did an ok job

That first knockdown was called wrong, but it was incidental, either way Hopkins 115-112, 114-112 at the least

A draw is pushing it

But there was that one idiot on press row who had Pascal winning, who was that?

Comment

Hopkins was robbed.

He won 10 rounds to 2.
                    Pascal won 3 at best.

Comment

Working...
                    X