Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emanuel Steward's death has been confirmed by his sister.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible news. My thoughts are with his family and his students past and present.

RIP

Comment

I mentioned on another thread that I worked against Manny in the amatuers and a few pro fights and his wards were always in shape and willing to win! Thats how you grade a trainer along with the fighters progression in the sport. Lke Angelo he ran a great corner and was good at evaluating his boxers opponents. Steward was accountable and perfectly protective of the fighters he was in charge of! He helped alot of kids we've never heard of because the vast majority of the kids in our gyms never become "celebs" but often become men! RIP Manny a quality man who "cared" for his charges! Ray.

Comment

Sad to hear.

RIP.

Comment

He really cared for his fighters. I met him after Milton McCrory had lost a fight and it was like his son had lost. He was a good man.

May he rest in peace.

Comment

Yeah, I always thought the same thing when Steward would mention Hearns' losses to Hagler and Leonard. He even said so on Legendary Nights that it was tough for him to even do an interview about the fights. I echo the sentiments expressed here as well.

He did great commentary on HBO too. I don't know who they can even find to do interesting, unbiased commentary. Roy Jones is the only one in recent memory who comes close, Kellerman isn't too bad. He will be sorely missed by those he knew and worked with, I'm sure, but among boxing fans around the world as well.

Oh yeah, 2 other things I wanted to mention about Steward. Wasn't there a recent fight on HBO where Steward was working the corner? I remember the HBO commentators saying that Steward was focusing mostly on taller, lankier, lighter fighters with punching power, much like Hearns was in his prime. Does anybody remember this fight, it aired a few months back on HBO. The other thing I wanted to say was, yes, I've heard confirmation of this on WFAN, during their news breaks they do every 20 minutes. I'm going to try to see what Tony Page says about this, since he's the only radio host around here that talks boxing. WFAN is the big sports talk station in New York. I know a lot of people in the city boroughs and Long Island listen to it to hear about the New York teams.

Comment

Wasn't Stewart training Wlad? How will this effect the rest of his career?

Comment

Oh yeah and it's now the cover story here on the boxing scene site. Just read the article and I really liked it.
                Last edited by Anthony342; 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM.

Comment

My heart just sunk...

Comment

Terrible news, boxing losses one of its greatest trainers. RIP

Comment

Very, very sad news. RIP Steward.

Comment

Working...
                      X