Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be a U.S. heavyweight world champion in the next 10 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
    It's no secret that since the Lewis-Bowe-Moorer-Holyfield era winded down, that the skill level of most HW's has dropped greatly. The best American HW's have been Chris Byrd, Hasim Rahman, and John Ruiz. That's a far cry in terms of talent when you compare those guys to Bowe, Moorer, Holyfield, Tyson, Holmes, the best American HW's from the era's prior to this one.
    Were any of them 6'10 and 275 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      you must be a dirk diggler alt
      reduced once again to comments about the "fat american"
      you get that your own country is not much slimmer, right?

and yes, if soccer didnt exist there would be tons of great boxers to come out of the talent pool

they just arent exclusively hw
      and all of these big soccer/football countries didnt rule these divisions before soccer got big

america did rule the HW division before the scholastic and professional football / basketball phenomenon (with both sports really only picking up steam in the last 20 years)

and almost every one of these guys is a HW.
      Soccer has always been big even before the modern era of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
        Were any of them 6'10 and 275 lbs
        Did I say that??? Has nothing to do with size, but most of the skilled fighters coming out of America aren't HW size. It's probably a combination of the kids that size looking to be athletes can now get a better deal going for Football or Basketball than they could trying to box. Now days you can basically get a free education, and huge guaranteed contracts doing that.

Anyways, the skill level of HW's since that era winded down has dropped greatly, in all countries. The only exception was the Klitschko's, who are/were very good. The best Amiercan HW in their era was Chris Byrd probably. He was alright, but nothing special, would be a good contender in other era's most likely.

Comment

I'm English, but there seems to be an obsession with my co patriots on here discredit Americans and American boxers. Vegas is the capital of boxing and always will be. Get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            you must be a dirk diggler alt
            reduced once again to comments about the "fat american"
            you get that your own country is not much slimmer, right?

and yes, if soccer didnt exist there would be tons of great boxers to come out of the talent pool

they just arent exclusively hw
            and all of these big soccer/football countries didnt rule these divisions before soccer got big

america did rule the HW division before the scholastic and professional football / basketball phenomenon (with both sports really only picking up steam in the last 20 years)

and almost every one of these guys is a HW.

Excuses, More people box in America than any other country in the world.

You do realise you can play more than one sport when you are a kid?

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              No doubt in my mind that an American will pick up one of the world titles in the next 10 years.

eff the titles

world champion as in the man who beat the man

it will almost certainly come after the retirement of wladimir klitschko. he's got tons of other options after boxing and wont stick around to get beat up or even lose.

the lineage will come from a box off then, between the divisions two best fighters. the winner begins a new lineage for the "heavyweight championship." **** the alphabet soup nonsense.

i dont think an american will be a lineal champion in ten years. i think the best fighters for the most part in the division are coming from europe now.

Comment

If we are talking about an American winning a useless strap then sure it will happen within 10 years, probably within 5. As for a lineal champ who knows. I like the lower divisions better anyway so it's no skin off my back if heavyweight boxing never comes back in America.

Comment

Well you will have 4 belts up for grabs over the next few years and there doesn't appear to be a single dominant replacement for the Klitschkos. So yeah, I think the odds are pretty great that there will be at least one. Whether it'll be Chambers, Arreola, Mitchell, Johnson or someone not yet on the radar I don't know.

Comment

Possibly within the next 2yrs! As soon as a klit steps away!

Comment

arreola is no1 for wbc.
                      if it was a non american whom was no1 for wbc but fought wladamir, they would be removed from wbc rankings.....but with jose sulaiman and WE BE CROOKS it will not be for cry baby arreolla. i assume after arreola takes a beating frm wladimir he will fight for the vacant WBC with either jonathan banks or seth mitchell!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X