No announcement yet.

Pound for pound top 10 in 1995

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pound for pound top 10 in 1995

In your opinion who were the top 10 pound for pound fighters on 1/1/95?

My top 10 would be

1.Roy Jones Jr
    2.Humberto Gonzalez
    3.Chris Eubank
    4.Pernell Whitaker
    5.Michael Carbajal
    6.James Toney
    7.Terry Norris
    8.Frankie Randall
    9.Ricardo Lopez
    10.Julio Cesar Chavez
    Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 12-06-2011, 08:19 PM.

Comment

By the end of 1995?

1 Whitaker
      2 Jones Jr
      3 Ricardo Lopez
      4 Oscar
      5 Tito
      6 Arbachakov
      7 Tszyu
      8 Tapia
      9 Lewis or Bowe
      10 Virgil Hill
      11 Terry Norris

I would happily go with both Gonzalez and Carbajal, but Carbajal had taken a mini break through 95 with a couple of tune ups and was considering retirement after losing twice to Gonzalez and Gonzalez got knocked out and retired in mid 95 so they don't make mine.

I don't know. I can't remember enough about what was happening in 95. It was too long ago and I can't be bothered refreshing my memory. That's close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        By the end of 1995?

1 Whitaker
        2 Jones Jr
        3 Ricardo Lopez
        4 Oscar
        5 Tito
        6 Arbachakov
        7 Tszyu
        8 Tapia
        9 Lewis or Bowe
        10 Virgil Hill
        11 Terry Norris

I would happily go with both Gonzalez and Carbajal, but Carbajal had taken a mini break through 95 with a couple of tune ups and was considering retirement after losing twice to Gonzalez and Gonzalez got knocked out and retired in mid 95 so they don't make mine.

I don't know. I can't remember enough about what was happening in 95. It was too long ago and I can't be bothered refreshing my memory. That's close enough.
        Not at the end at the beginning as I said on 1/1/95 who do you think were the top 10 pound for pound best fighters

Comment

I'd probably have Naseem Hamed and Nigel Benn in there. Hamed showed superb form that year.

Nigel Benn had of course beaten McClellan that year. Some were claiming that he was rightly top 5 at that point.

Comment

At 1/1/95

1.Pernell Whitaker
            2.Roy Jones
            3.Julio Cesar Chavez
            4.Felix Trinidad
            5.Ricardo Lopez

Cant remember the rest who stands out by the end of 1994, but James Toney was just displaced by RJJ, and moved down from the rankings, No heavyweights for sure, Lewis and Moorer lost their titles.

Comment

I will dig up a 1995 Ring or KO magazine in the next day or so and post their listings unless someone beats me to it.

It would be cool to look at the p4p rankings from years gone by from time to time.

Comment

Ring mag p4p rankings for 1995 (Meaning they made this list for the start of 96)

1.Pernell Whitaker
                2.Roy Jones Jr
                3.Ricardo Lopez
                4.Oscar De La Hoya
                5.Felix Trinidad
                6.Yuri Arbachakov
                7.Kostya Tszyu
                8.Riddick Bowe
                9.Marco Antonio Barrera
                10.Terry Norris

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                  I will dig up a 1995 Ring or KO magazine in the next day or so and post their listings unless someone beats me to it.

It would be cool to look at the p4p rankings from years gone by from time to time.
                  http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Th...Annual_Ratings

u can find the weight classes and p4p rankings from that page although some years are missing

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby
                    Who had Trinidad beaten to be ranked P4P? Also Chavez had lost to Frankie Randall and although he won the rematch it wasn't exactly convincing.
                    For the record, Felix Trinidad rose to fame by the end of 1994, like Dela Hoya would rise the following year.

Trinidad defeated Camacho, handing macho his second loss, a 56-0 Yori Boy Campas, who was slightly favored to beat Tito and was then considered the next Chavez, and a tough 32-0 Oba Carr.

Chavez had a rough year, with those two fights with Randall, but still deserves to be rated highly.

Comment

Working...
                    X