Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My steerin wheel is shaking like crazy at slow speeds.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GHOST KING View Post
    So just randomly all of a sudden my steering wheel starts shaking back and forth when I come to a slow speed (stoplights) Also the vehicle shakes back and forth as well. It almost feels like the front left wheel is flat but no.. I've had brake problems in the past.. Could that be it (rotors)?
    If you are feeling the shaking only when Braking then you have a brake issue.

With Disc Brakes especially:
    -If you feel the vibration in the Steering Wheel = Front Rotors are warped // have heat spots
    -If you feel the vibration in the car ( Pedal / Seat etc.) then your rear rotors are warped or have heat spots

You're going to need new Brake Pads and Rotors to fix the vibration

A lot of times people feel this when they have their Brake pads replaced and don't have their Rotors resurfaced or they get some real bad hot spots on the rotor surface

Let me know if you have or need any more info about your problem

Comment

I don't know dick about vehicles.. But yea, i'm thinking strongly it's my brakes.. Somebody said calipers..Is that a possibility?
      Yesterday I was sitting at the park on a bench and a woman was talking to her ******ed son. She would ask him a question and then say" Yes or NO"...was that you? Try to answer the questions if you want help. I previously asked you if it happens whether you are braking or not. If it's happening and you are not touching the brakes then it's not the brakes...if you are braking then it's the brakes...Yes or No? If it's not the brakes get off the internet and go outside...jack up you car and put the front wheels on the back and the back wheels on the front and test it out. It's that simple...stop acting like a ******.

Comment

Just saw this thread. Get an alignment and a wheel balance. Both will cause this problem. Check your tires too because if you haven't changed them in a while you could have a bubble on the side wall or something that will make it feel like the wheel is about to just fall off....basically it's out of balance due to the extra mass on the exterior of the wheel. It will dissipate once you surpass the harmonic frequency of the tire (could explain why it goes away over a certain speed).

If it's your brakes, you should hear a grinding/squealing sound which indicates your pads have worn through to the indicators. They are designed to make a nasty noise when it's time to replace. A small abrasive sound while stopping is an indication that your rotors may need to be resurfaced.

-Shade Tree Mechanic
        Last edited by mathed; 06-21-2014, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
          Yesterday I was sitting at the park on a bench and a woman was talking to her ******ed son. She would ask him a question and then say" Yes or NO"...was that you? Try to answer the questions if you want help. I previously asked you if it happens whether you are braking or not. If it's happening and you are not touching the brakes then it's not the brakes...if you are braking then it's the brakes...Yes or No? If it's not the brakes get off the internet and go outside...jack up you car and put the front wheels on the back and the back wheels on the front and test it out. It's that simple...stop acting like a ******.
          While you sat alone on the park bench, I banged your ex-gf in the back of my broken down car..I broke her down as well.. You can have the bust-down back

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
            Just saw this thread. Get an alignment and a wheel balance. Both will cause this problem. Check your tires too because if you haven't changed them in a while you could have a bubble on the side wall or something that will make it feel like the wheel is about to just fall off....basically it's out of balance due to the extra mass on the exterior of the wheel. It will dissipate once you surpass the harmonic frequency of the tire (could explain why it goes away over a certain speed).

If it's your brakes, you should hear a grinding/squealing sound which indicates your pads have worn through to the indicators. They are designed to make a nasty noise when it's time to replace. A small abrasive sound while stopping is an indication that your rotors may need to be resurfaced.

-Shade Tree Mechanic
            It's not when i'm braking but i've had a few brake problems in the past, so idk...But yea, i'll look into what you said..Thanks

Yea, this is

Comment

TS, you're pretty slow by the look of things, bro.
              Last edited by New England; 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM.

Comment

I don't know dick about vehicles.. But yea, i'm thinking strongly it's my brakes.. Somebody said calipers..Is that a possibility?

if its your breaks, you will feel the bouncing when you are breaking.

the weight goes to the front of the car under breaking, and you'll feel the bumping through your steering wheel.

are you feeling it when you're breaking, or not?

if you're on the gas and it's still rattling, it is almost surely not your breaks, and likely tire / wheel related.

you've been getting good advice in the thread, i just don't know if you can handle it.

Comment

It's not when i'm braking but i've had a few brake problems in the past, so idk...But yea, i'll look into what you said..Thanks

Yea, this is
                  Leave the car in park while idling and go suck on the tail pipe. It won't fix you steering wheel shake but will help with your ******ation problem. Your to stupid to be driving a car anyways.
                  Last edited by jaded; 06-21-2014, 05:43 PM.

Comment

TS, you really should ask around to friends you trust to see who they recommend for a mechanic. Bring the car in for an assessment and an estimate to a couple recommended places.

I would stay away from the big 5 bay, big name garages, and only deal with ase-certified mechanics. Small locally owned shops are preferable.

Comment

Working...
                    X