Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Styles make fights, and Jessie Vargas is the underappreciated WW champ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Styles make fights, and Jessie Vargas is the underappreciated WW champ?

I hear a lot of names Garcia, Thurman, Spence, Brook, & Porter but no one says anything about Jessie Vargas! I heard a lot of smack talk before from East Coast cats that he was going to be outboxed by Sadaam Ali, but howd that work out? Lets be real here, styles make fights and smart money says Vargas would (not easily) but clearly beat Garcia and Brook. Reason why? Range and straight punches. Thurman & Brook present a different/contrasting styles for Vargas but experience wise Vargas has them both.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by WarVeteranO01; 05-05-2016, 12:49 PM.

hell yeah im east and I thought Sadam would beat him. Vargas has risen. He's most definitely in the mix. Styles make fights, mix and match those fighters = good fights

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
      I hear a lot of names Garcia, Thurman, Spence, Brook, & Porter but no one says anything about Jessie Vargas! I heard a lot of smack talk before from East Coast cats that he was going to be outboxed by Sadaam Ali, but howd that work out? Lets be real here, styles make fights and smart money says Vargas would (not easily) but clearly beat Garcia and Brook. Risen why? Range and straight punches. Thurman & Brook present a different/contrasting styles for Vargas but experience wise Vargas has them both.

Thoughts?
      He has definitely earned my respect beating Ali...I was expecting Ali to win. Im still not to big on him until I see him in their with a more established fighter.

People think Garcia is the weak link but I think thats because he has fought better opposition in his career than anyone @ 140-147 besides Maybe Bradley.

Comment

He would probably beat Danny Garcia then get robbed like 120-108

Comment

Brook would absolutely massacre Vargas. He's a better boxer and a better puncher, Vargas is better at close range but that won't matter, he ain't good enough to close the gap.

I'd probably have Vargas at 9 or 10 in my 147 rankings, he's solid all round but nothing out of the ordinary

Comment

Beating Ali proves nothing, who was unproven himself

Not sold on Vargas until he beats someone with a pulse

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
              He has definitely earned my respect beating Ali...I was expecting Ali to win. Im still not to big on him until I see him in their with a more established fighter.

People think Garcia is the weak link but I think thats because he has fought better opposition in his career than anyone @ 140-147 besides Maybe Bradley.
              I personally dont think Garcia is the weak link because he is a dangerous counter puncher but he cant slip a jab if his life depended on it. He can be beaten by a guy with a good 1-2. I think something clicked in Vargas when he went and worked with Morales, even though he lost to Bradley (which is nothing to hang your head about) that hes better coming forward behind a jab. He worked well behind it against Ali setting up that right cross and slipped Ali's quick punches well and took the ones that he did land well. Personally I just think Vargas would be a problem stylistically to guys like Brook and Garcia. Vargas has good range to keep Brook from tying him up. I really hope they make Vargas vs Brook, I think the momentum also favors Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                He would probably beat Danny Garcia then get robbed like 120-108
                lol, than the WBO would take their belt back...

Comment

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
                  Brook would absolutely massacre Vargas. He's a better boxer and a better puncher, Vargas is better at close range but that won't matter, he ain't good enough to close the gap.

I'd probably have Vargas at 9 or 10 in my 147 rankings, he's solid all round but nothing out of the ordinary
                  Vargas isnt Shawn Porter. He has better range and wont let Brook hold him. Brooks best win is Shawn porter and was like years ago. Since he beat JoJo dan. Momentum is behind Vargas but I dont expect shook brook to take that fight anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    I personally dont think Garcia is the weak link because he is a dangerous counter puncher but he cant slip a jab if his life depended on it. He can be beaten by a guy with a good 1-2. I think something clicked in Vargas when he went and worked with Morales, even though he lost to Bradley (which is nothing to hang your head about) that hes better coming forward behind a jab. He worked well behind it against Ali setting up that right cross and slipped Ali's quick punches well and took the ones that he did land well. Personally I just think Vargas would be a problem stylistically to guys like Brook and Garcia. Vargas has good range to keep Brook from tying him up. I really hope they make Vargas vs Brook, I think the momentum also favors Vargas.
                    Yea he definitely looks like he found his identity as a fighter. He used to depend on his left hook too much. He is a rangy guy and who better than El terrible to tutor. Morales had one of the best right hands ever. Could change the trajectory mid punch, feints, etc.

As far as Garcia, Garcia has problems with speed most times and Herrera is a little more tricky and elusive than Vargas who is slower and little more stand up type boxer.

either way at this point I'd pick Garcia but he has proven me wrong so many times and he finds a way to win. When Vargas shows me a little more my position may change

I think out of the belt holders, Thurman would have the easier time.....Mini David Haye. Puncher-Boxer who can counter side to side and backwards.

Comment

Working...
                    X