Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Mayweather's career been like if he had lost that '0' vs Castillo?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would Mayweather's career been like if he had lost that '0' vs Castillo?

This is not about whether Castillo should have got decision more whether Mayweather would have been less cautious in choosing opponents if he wasn't too wary of losing his undefeated record. I'm a huge Mayweather fan but if he lost that '0' vs Castillo would we have seen him take the Margarito fight & pick him apart? Would we have seen Mayweather-Tszyu at LWW? Would we have seen him fight Pac when it really mattered a few years ago? (not saying only Mayweather is to blame for that one) What else would we have seen? Please discuss

I don't think it would change things to much. He would have won the rematch and probably choose opponents the same way. Just because he had one loss on his record wouldn't make him less careful about getting beat again.

Comment

he wouldn't have ducked as much as he did... trying to keep his 0

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
        I don't think it would change things to much. He would have won the rematch and probably choose opponents the same way. Just because he had one loss on his record wouldn't make him less careful about getting beat again.
        Most of the cherrypicking he did was because of that 0. I think it would have changed things noticeably, if not drastically.

Comment

As strange as it sounds, this probably would have been the best thing for him. A win over Pacquiao would have more than made up for a loss over a tough opponent like a Castillo, and if he went on to beat Martinez people would have taken his greatest-of-all-time claims very seriously.

Comment

The obvious answer is to assume that he would have took on more risky opposition to build his credibility; would he have drawn those numbers in the Oscar fight with a loss on his record? Debatable.

For some fighters the 0 makes the man

Comment

I think that would've probably still been his only loss. He would've still picked the careful fights, but it's hard to tell if the riskier fights meant more money. Nowadays he could just about fight anyone and still make a tonne of cash.

Comment

Originally posted by HooksInYou
                As strange as it sounds, this probably would have been the best thing for him. A win over Pacquiao would have more than made up for a loss over a tough opponent like a Castillo, and if he went on to beat Martinez people would have taken his greatest-of-all-time claims very seriously.
                agree 100% he may have even fought Martinez at MW to try to win the lineal title

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Would definitely have changed who he would fight. Maybe even also how he fights.

Comment

His career wouldn't have changed much. He gave Castillo an immediate rematch and beat him mire clearly. He didnt wait a couple of fights like most people do.

There still would have been NO Pacman fight as long as Floyd wasn't with Top Rank. The guy was smart enough to get help from Al Hayman to buy out his contract so Arum would stop robbing him blind. Arum has been trying to destroy Floyd ever since.

Its funny that when people asked Cotto a year ago, he said out of his own mouth that he NEVER pursued a Mayweather fight. People disregard it because it just sounds better to say Floyd ducked. And any reference to Margarito should be thrown out of the window. THIS GUY BLATANTLY CHEATED THE SPORT AND COULD HAVE KILLED SOMEONE! He doesn't deserve any credit for being someone who was "ducked". People hate Floyd so much that they rather give more credit to a blatant cheater.

At the end of the day- Floyd resume is only debatable due to a personal like-ability factor with his character. I could go out and say a ton of negative and unrealistic stuff about Floyd today, and gain thousands of new friends. Then use his resume as a cover up when questioned about it

Comment

Working...
                    X