Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bernard Hopkins took calculated risks, he is 1 of the most overrated modern ATG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually do think he is a bit overrated when people put him in the same bracket as Manny and Floyd.

But OP has obviously gone well overboard and dug himself into a hole trying to support his bias. Hopkins is a great, great fighter. No doubt about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      let me break it down....compared to the average fighter, he doesnt load up as often as other fighters

he throw short crisp shots most times
      Compared to the average fighter perhaps but he still loads up on his punches particularly the overhand right.

It's one of his many flaws.

It's one of the main reasons he faded down the stretch against Merqui Sosa and Sanderline Williams. Also was very apparent when he fought Regfie Johnson.

Comment

bro give it up.....if people spend all day talking about GGG fighting people at 154 and 168

you dont think that people talked about Hopkins fighting winky wright(THE BEST AT 154) and Calzaghe(the best at 168)?

the fights eventually happened but they happened after the fights really mattered to some fans.

we talked about these fights all the time on east side B00XING

so was ottke vs Calzaghe a topic we talked about....difference is, the fight never happened
        What year were you talking about these fights? Be honest. Cuz you seem real full of **** right now, just sayin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          I actually do think he is a bit overrated when people put him in the same bracket as Manny and Floyd.

But OP has obviously gone well overboard and dug himself into a hole trying to support his bias. Hopkins is a great, great fighter. No doubt about it.
          he is great but I never saw him on the level of a mayweather, or roy jones level guy....fighters who were clearly superior to everyone in their prime..... people try to lump him in there but he doesnt belong.

I never said he wasnt great and clarified that he is...he is overrated all time great wise...definitely one of the best of his era but not a top ten or 20 all time great imo...too many great fighters before him took more risks and beat better fighters

his success at an old age, and all those ibf titles defenses gets overblown when accessing his greatness

my two cents

Comment

• Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            I actually do think he is a bit overrated when people put him in the same bracket as Manny and Floyd.

I wish I could say no one puts Hopkins up there with those two, but the May/Pac wars makes it happen here on NSB. Pac fans love to claim Hopkins is somehow greater than Mayweather, and Mayweather fans love to claim Hopkins is greater than Pac.

And with every year that passed throughout his crazy run into his late 40s more and more people don't know how great Roy was, so they put Hopkins above him.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              What year were you talking about these fights? Be honest. Cuz you seem real full of **** right now, just sayin.
              mid 2000s

2004-2005

Ottke was retired by then...Hopkins hadnt lost to taylor yet

and Winky finally got a win over a marquee name....which was shane mosely 2x

everyone was talking about Mosley or DLH fighting Hopkins, because they were big names and won the 154 title, once winky beat mosley and Hopkins beat ODLH, fans began to talk about Wright vs Hopkins...the best at 154 vs the best at 160

why is that so hard to believe man, if you were not following the sport then, its not my problem man

I been on message boards since Roy Jones was p4p # 1 getting trashed for his competition, you know that was in the early 2000s

Comment

he is great but I never saw him on the level of a mayweather, or roy jones level guy....fighters who were clearly superior to everyone in their prime..... people try to lump him in there but he doesnt belong.

I never said he wasnt great and clarified that he is...he is overrated all time great wise...definitely one of the best of his era but not a top ten or 20 all time great imo...too many great fighters before him took more risks and beat better fighters

his success at an old age, and all those ibf titles defenses gets overblown when accessing his greatness

my two cents
                To be honest in this past era there isnt any fighter thats top 10 or even top 20. Maybe you can say floyd is 20th at best but thats a big question mark though.

Comment

my two cents

See how easy that was. You can get your point across without trying to diminish the man's accomplishments. I actually agree with you here. He's not on the level of Pac, Mayweather and Jones but you don't have to put it in such away to diminish what he did accomplish. Moving up 2 weight classes to defeat the lineal champion in the division was a great accomplishment.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
                    To be honest in this past era there isnt any fighter thats top 10 or even top 20. Maybe you can say floyd is 20th at best but thats a big question mark though.
                    Roy Jones, whitaker and Mayweather are the only fighters imo that deserve serious consideration for being top 20 all time

all had extensive resumes, fought tougher competition than Hopkins m took more risks and accomplishments....mayweather went undefeated and it took Whitaker and Jones to be clearly past prime to take out right loses in their mid 30s (both had long amatuer and pro careers by the time the losses started to come)

watching those 3 is totally different than watching a Hopkins, level guy.....they were on another level imo at their prime.

I knew Hopkins was great, but watching them was a totally different experience live...when all were at their prime no one favored anyone over them, they barely ever lost rounds, even vs fellow hall of famers near their best....thats legendary status

only a few fighters in history dominated their era like these guys did in their prime.

they'd defeat several guys rated over them all time...those 3 were truly special...taking nothing away from Hopkins

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                      See how easy that was. You can get your point across without trying to diminish the man's accomplishments. I actually agree with you here. He's not on the level of Pac, Mayweather and Jones but you don't have to put it in such away to diminish what he did accomplish. Moving up 2 weight classes to defeat the lineal champion in the division was a great accomplishment.
                      True, his accomplishment at an older age ir amazing, maybe it doesnt merit an all time rating above those guys but it doesnt matter.

Hopkins is anywhere from top 40 to maybe at high as top 30 of all time, but regardless, if you can garner a top 50 rating of all time in boxing which has history of over 100 years there is no way you can call that man overrated.

Comment

Working...
                      X