No announcement yet.

Ezzard Charles vs. Marvin Hagler, at Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezzard Charles vs. Marvin Hagler, at Middleweight

I'd post this in the Fantasy Bouts section, but that section is asleep.

Charles' middleweight career is less known than his dynasty at light heavyweight or his championship run at heavyweight, but he originally moved up to 175 for the same reason he later moved up to heavy: He couldn't get a shot at the middleweight crown.

15 rounds at 160. Who do you have?

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
    I'd post this in the Fantasy Bouts section, but that section is asleep.

Charles' middleweight career is less known than his dynasty at light heavyweight or his championship run at heavyweight, but he originally moved up to 175 for the same reason he later moved up to heavy: He couldn't get a shot at the middleweight crown.

15 rounds at 160. Who do you have?
    Hagler by decision. We know how great and effective he was at 160 while we can only guess how good Charles was. Thinking a primed Hagler would be a bit too strong for the middleweight version of Charles who had probably not yet fully matured physically.

Comment

I think Charles wins by Decision.

Comment

I'll guess less than 10% of Charles number of bouts was at 160lbs! He is known as a LtHvy and went to heavy to cash in before his "show closed"!
        I would think he could hang with anyone from 160 on up!
        Because he DID!! Other than the very end after Marciano his looses prior were to top notch fighters that he split with as most of the greats from that era often did! Full time "greats" fight till they say "go Home"! We don't want that dedication anymore because we don't want men to take on challenges that aren't acceptable at a certain age that a 15 to 25 year career brings!
        He was a terriffic fighter who was accomplished and willing to win at any cost!
        Remember at middleweight he was a young man just getting going, so if you want him at 160 but with his knowledge and experience throughout his career I'd take him over Marvin. Hagler is one of few men who could fight/box in any era and be a top notch draw but so was Charles. Ezzard fought the better opponents and had a much wider repitiore than Marvin.
        I'd guess just like in the past the really great fighters win & loose to each other. It would be great competition thats for sure!!

who at 160 today hangs with them? Junior? Sergio ha!, GGG, Ward??
        None of them would win against those men, no way! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          I think Charles wins by Decision.
          I think he'd have a hell of a shot. He beat Burley twice AT Middleweight. Lost to Tunero and Overlin. It would have had to be RIGHT at the end of that Middle run versus absolute peak Marvin. Good fight.

Comment

I never thought middleweight was Charles best weight, but it was Hagler. I favor Hagler here.

Comment

I would say that the perfectly developed machine Hagler became around 1980 or so would UD the mw of Charles, who outgrew the division by 21 (which also makes me think he was not yet the killing machine he would be shortly afterwarsa. Also at 160, Hagler would have probably (not sure) been the first lefty Charles would face outside a gym(not many around at the time) . I would not consider a late stoppage impossible (Before you all jump on this one, think Sanchez-Nelson). Of course less than 5 years later Hagler would be severely outgunned, and might get stopped himself.

Comment

Working...
              X