Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Don't Americans Stand Behind And Appreciate Floyd Mayweather Like They Should?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Don't Americans Stand Behind And Appreciate Floyd Mayweather Like They Should?

This is just something that I don't understand. When you look at every other country it seems like they always stand behind their boxers and support them wholeheartedly, through victory and defeat, the good times and the bad times. However with Floyd, he gets treated very unfairly and doesn't receive anything like the kind of credit that he truly deserves for being in my opinion, easily the best boxer of the last 20 years and one of the very best, if not the best, of all time, he's certainly the best boxer I have had the pleasure of watching. However, rather than embracing his greatness and appreciating him while he is still around to grace the sport that we all love, when he doesn't have to, a lot of Americans just want to criticize him and unfairly paint him in a bad light. For example when rumors spread about him physically beating his ex, it got plastered all over the internet and interpreted by many as fact, when in reality, they had no idea what had happened. No pictures were ever released, and no videos or audio was released to back up the claims, yet they still painted him as being guilty. Compare that with Manny Pacquiao, who is allowed to cheat on his wife with prostitutes, dodge a $40 million drug test, not pay taxes and house illegal fugitives, without the American media holding him to account over it.

I know that Floyd paints himself as the bad guy with his "Money Mayweather" persona, but people should be able to see beyond that and identify the real Floyd. A man who always consoles his opponents after defeating them and who unlike Manny "Stipulation-Man" Pacquiao, is willing to prove that he isn't on performance enhancing drugs, and who always gives the fans their money's worth by consistently facing top level competition, when they are on top of their game, at their natural weight. When Floyd spectacularly dominated Juan Manuel Marquez, the second greatest boxer of this generation, while coming off a 21-month layoff, he got almost no credit for one of the greatest displays of boxing you will ever see. Two years after being shutout by Floyd, Marquez, despite being considered washed up and at the end of his career, completely dominated Pacquiao in their third fight, and the American media (Ring Magazine) still kept Pacquiao as the p4p#1 boxer in the world ahead of Floyd and Marquez. To say that doesn't make sense is a gross understatement. What could that possibly be based on? The only plausible explanation is that they are incredibly biased against Floyd and towards Pacquiao. Or maybe it's because Oscar De La Hoya owns it, but either way I am never buying that Magazine ever again.

One reason I think is because a lot of the Americans don't appreciate his careful, artistic boxing as much as other countries do, like the UK for example. Floyd has a huge following over here and is on record as stating that he gets more love from the UK than he does in his own country. I think that Americans like to see brawls more than boxing, which is why the UFC, and Manny Pacquiao are so popular. I just can't understand why people don't appreciate Floyd more for what he has done and continues to do for the sport. We must realise that this is a guy who doesn't have to box anymore. He is so multi-talented that he could be successful in many ways outside of the ring and with the kind of money that he has made and can command outside of the ring, he doesn't have to fight and is only continuing because he loves the sport and the fans and I think as fans we should respect that. We are all very fortunate to have come along in his era.

Overall I think people are only going to really appreciate Floyd when he is gone from the sport, and a huge void is left behind without his unmatched charisma and incredible ability to consistently dominate the best boxers out there. Mayweather is one of a kind and you won't see a guy nearly as good as him for a long, long time. There's never been a boxer who has dominated the competition like he has. He's been facing top level competition for almost 14 years and has only had one competitive fight during that time with Jose Luis Castillo. All of his other bouts have been dominant wins. It's truly amazing.

Anyway. What do you think? Why do you think that Floyd doesn't get the credit and appreciation that he deserves? I think it's partly because of his style, partly because people buy into his fake persona and partly because of fan manipulation by Bob Arum (who seems to have most of the US Boxing Media in his pocket). I understand all that. But I still find it very unfair that he is treated the way he is.
    Last edited by JK1700; 04-06-2012, 04:56 AM.

Because for the most part, white kids from the UK are the only kind of people Floyd appeals to?

Comment

perhaps they don't feel mayweather represents america very well, or he does represent them well but they don't want to admit it

Comment

Originally posted by krimzon View Post
        perhaps they don't feel mayweather represents america very well, or he does represent them well but they don't want to admit it
        I don't understand why they would think that. Then again, maybe I do, because Bob Arum has done an incredible job of brainwashing people into thinking that Floyd is the "bad guy". It's ridiculous. The Pacquiao fans look at Manny as the "true champion" who "fights the best" and Mayweather as the "ducker" and "cherry picker" when in reality it is the other way around. I guess there is just a lot of gullible people out there who can't see through the lies to the truth.

Comment

Like they should?

It's not his boxing that they don't stand behind, we all know what it is.

On top of that, doing time for putting hands on his ex, with his children present (their mother). That's no fake persona there.

He does all this shi!t and then he has the nerve to play the victim,"why doesn't America support their fighters".......please.

Mayweather seems to be cleaning up his act. We all make mistakes and it's never too late to change.

Hopefully he finds the right path that works.
          Last edited by ElMeroChingon; 04-01-2012, 12:17 PM. Reason: lol deleted the quote, too much space

Comment

Originally posted by JK1700 View Post
            This is just something that I don't understand. When you look at every other country it seems like they always stand behind their boxers
            Uhhh because Americans don't think that way.

Brits always support Brits, Germans always support Germans, Filipinos always support Filipinos, etc.

Americans back Floyd (American), Manny (Philippines), Amir (UK), Hatton (UK), Edwin Valero, Cotto, JuanMa, etc. etc. etc.

Americans don't give a **** what country you're from. We care about results. We like winners. And we like people who will help us win, such as: Yao Ming, Ricky Rubio, etc.

Don't give a damn where you come from as long as you can ball.

This tribal shlt of supporting your countrymen is a leftover from the past. This isn't 1784.
            Last edited by mushahadeen; 04-01-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

If you like him so well, then you can have him.

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
                Like they should?

It's not his boxing that they don't stand behind, we all know what it is.

On top of that, doing time for putting hands on his ex, with his children present (their mother). That's no fake persona there.

He does all this shi!t and then he has the nerve to play the victim,"why doesn't America support their fighters".......please.

Mayweather seems to be cleaning up his act. We all make mistakes and it's never too late to change.

Hopefully he finds the right path that works.
                Unless you were there to witness the incident or have documented proof that he beat his ex, then don't assume that something happened when you have no idea. Just because he took a plea doesn't mean that he is guilty of what he is accused of. If he was, i'm sure we would have seen some pictures long before now.

Comment

Maybe they don't like the facts he beats women, his racist and ****phobic rants, how he flaunts money in times of austerity, his retirements when tough fights are on the horizon, his spoiled child attitude, the way he treat his father, the attack on the mother of his children when his children are present, his constant excuses and moving of the goal post to avoid the Pacquiao fight, his less than exhilarating, safety first boxing style and probably some more stuff that I have forgot.

Also maybe they are boxing fans and don't see the sport as an excuse to blindly patriotic and prefer to support individuals.

Comment

Originally posted by mushahadeen View Post
                    Uhhh because Americans don't think that way.

Brits always support Brits, Germans always support Germans, Filipinos always support Filipinos, etc.

Americans back Floyd (American), Manny (Philippines), Amir (UK), Hatton (UK), Edwin Valero, Cotto, JuanMa, etc. etc. etc.

Americans don't give a **** what country you're from. We care about results. We like winners. And we like people who will help us win, such as: Yao Ming, Ricky Rubio, etc.

Don't give a damn where you come from as long as you can ball.

This tribal shlt of supporting your countrymen is a leftover from the past. This isn't 1784.
                    Brits don't always support Brits. I don't support Amir Khan, for example. My point was directed more towards supporting your countries BEST boxer and appreciating them for being the best, not neccesarily supporting them, but appreciating them and Mayweather isn't just the best American boxer, he is the world's best boxer and they still don't appreciate him. Whoever he beats, there's always an excuse. It just irks me with the way Americans act towards him. When he dominates the best, they criticize him, and when he takes a layoff, they criticize him even more. He said it himself. "Why should I stick around when I don't get the props that I truly deserve?". People should appreciate him while he's still around because he will be sorely missed when he's gone.

Comment

Working...
                    X