No announcement yet.

Gamboa needs a new trainer.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamboa needs a new trainer.

These guys are sucking the life out of him. They are trying to force him into a mold that doesn't fit.

This was the first Gamboa fight were there were points where I can actually say I was bored. In the process of trying to slow him down, they have taken away what makes him special, his unequaled energy.

There were points where he could have gone in for the kill and gotten it, but instead he dances away. With a fighter like Gamboa, every second longer the fight lasts is another second that he might get clipped.

They need to shop around for a trainer that is willing to work around his assets and not one that is going to try and force a style on him that neither he nor the public likes.

This is exactly what they did to Andrew Maynard, EXACTLY. They turned an energy filled tornado into a slower paced boxer, and it didn't work, and it ruined his career.

They are spoiling Gamboa, and it is getting worse every fight.

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
    These guys are sucking the life out of him. They are trying to force him into a mold that doesn't fit.

This was the first Gamboa fight were there were points where I can actually say I was bored. In the process of trying to slow him down, they have taken away what makes him special, his unequaled energy.

There were points where he could have gone in for the kill and gotten it, but instead he dances away. With a fighter like Gamboa, every second longer the fight lasts is another second that he might get clipped.

They need to shop around for a trainer that is willing to work around his assets and not one that is going to try and force a style on him that neither he nor the public likes.

This is exactly what they did to Andrew Maynard, EXACTLY. They turned an energy filled tornado into a slower paced boxer, and it didn't work, and it ruined his career.

They are spoiling Gamboa, and it is getting worse every fight.
    I don't think he was actually listening to them tonight. Either way, I prefer the way that he fought today, he doesn't need to go flashy 24/7, especially without a chin.

Comment

I'd say Roger Mayweather.

Comment

Originally posted by PlasticFlamingo View Post
        I don't think he was actually listening to them tonight. Either way, I prefer the way that he fought today, he doesn't need to go flashy 24/7, especially without a chin.
        It's not about flash. He can through 100 punches a round without breaking a sweat, and they have him throwing 40.

Saying he didn't listen to them is a misnomer, all the work is done in the gym. If you don't think they have been training him to fight slow like that, you are wrong. A fighter that absolutely loves to throw punches doesn't stop throwing punches on his own. His team is slowing him down in the gym, and its not a good thing.

Comment

I loved Gamboa today
          he boxed perfectly
          no wrecklessness
          still showboating
          didn't leave himself unnecessarily opened.

With this new style he can last longer as a boxer and actually perform well against other technical boxers instead of just going out there swinging for the fences all the time while leaving his chin on the open.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
            It's not about flash. He can through 100 punches a round without breaking a sweat, and they have him throwing 40.

Saying he didn't listen to them is a misnomer, all the work is done in the gym. If you don't think they have been training him to fight slow like that, you are wrong. A fighter that absolutely loves to throw punches doesn't stop throwing punches on his own. His team is slowing him down in the gym, and its not a good thing.
            He was not listening to his corner, they were telling him to cut the showboating, and he lowered his arms and danced a little. How is that for fight time concentration? Now, his team is slowing his down for a reason, all of those KDs where not by chance, he can throw a hundred punches and leave himself wideopen against Rojas-level competition, but would you tell him to do that against Lopez, Vazquez and John? Those are guys he will be facing during the next few years, you don't want to give them more chances to use his chin against him.

Comment

Originally posted by PlasticFlamingo View Post
              He was not listening to his corner, they were telling him to cut the showboating, and he lowered his arms and danced a little. How is that for fight time concentration? Now, his team is slowing his down for a reason, all of those KDs where not by chance, he can throw a hundred punches and leave himself wideopen against Rojas-level competition, but would you tell him to do that against Lopez, Vazquez and John? Those are guys he will be facing during the next few years, you don't want to give them more chances to use his chin against him.
              I want him fighting like he needs to fight, and in this fight he didn't need to slow it down. He could have stopped his man much much earlier, but he didn't. There were times when he was throwing one punch at a time. That is something I have never seen him do, and if he makes it a habit, it will be the end of his rise to stardom.

You obviously have no concept of styles. Not every fighter is meant to fight with their hands up like Winky Wright. Not every fighter is meant to fight slow like Bernard Hopkins. Ever fighter has a style that is best suited to their abilities, physicality, build, intelligence.

Gamboa is not meant to fight slow, he has incredible stamina, good power, incredible speed, incredible legs, and incredible reflexes. They need to develop a style for him around those assets.

Hands up and slow pace is not going to work for him in the grand scheme of things, and all it will do is hurt him in the long run.

Comment

actually, every time hes gotten knocked down it was when he tried to be a boxer, instead of his wild self.

strangely, some fighters just fight better when theyre 'wild'. when you have those physical gifts, sometimes its better to just use them and not try to pretend that youre something youre not.

guys like Roy Jones and Naseem Hamed got away with their unorthodox styles because they were quick enough, and they still rose to the top(and then some) despite their lack of real boxing skill. they well apart later in their career when their physical gifts started to fail them, but it didnt really matter at that point because they had cemented their legacy.

imo, Gamboas trainers need to stop trying to make him fight in spurts and waiting to potshot, and instead focus on shortening up Gamboa's punches, making sure he can incorporate defence during his offence(ie dont let his chin stick in the air when he throws the right hand), and help him recongnise countering opportunities.

so Im agreeing with Shawn.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
                  actually, every time hes gotten knocked down it was when he tried to be a boxer, instead of his wild self.

strangely, some fighters just fight better when theyre 'wild'. when you have those physical gifts, sometimes its better to just use them and not try to pretend that youre something youre not.

guys like Roy Jones and Naseem Hamed got away with their unorthodox styles because they were quick enough, and they still rose to the top(and then some) despite their lack of real boxing skill. they well apart later in their career when their physical gifts started to fail them, but it didnt really matter at that point because they had cemented their legacy.

imo, Gamboas trainers need to stop trying to make him fight in spurts and waiting to potshot, and instead focus on shortening up Gamboa's punches, making sure he can incorporate defence during his offence(ie dont let his chin stick in the air when he throws the right hand), and help him recongnise countering opportunities.

so Im agreeing with Shawn.
                  Its true, every time hes gone down, its been with his hands up getting caught with something he didn't see coming. He has the reflexes to do it his way, there is no reason for them to change that until he can't do it his way any more.

Comment

I don't think it was the corner, I mean his trainer was giving him great advice. Gamboa stated in his interview that he wanted to show tonight that he can be athlethic and a great boxer, not only his wild self.

Comment

Working...
                    X