No announcement yet.

Wrestled with a blue belt ju-jitsu pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
    First off I didn't come on here to brag, if anything I put myself down by saying I have 30lbs on the guy. I didn't do anything but NOT get tapped out, thats about it. I don't know what I'm doing, don't know any subs and all I did was just use my strength and weight to keep him from tapping me.

I respect MMA very much, I'm not like the typical boxing guy, I have seen these guys up close and they are no joke.

Well, he did tell me that because we didn't hit each other, that makes a difference. He's straight from Brazil and is a pro fighter who is undefeated. So I don't think he's some chump.

Maybe your right, maybe he wasn't going as hard as I thought he was but it sure seemed like it. I mean we were both sweating, both going pretty strong, at least it felt like that to me.

He did have a gi on (spelling?) that karate uniform whatever it's called. That actually helped me out because I would grab it and pick him up by it.

Anyway, it was fun and maybe your right, maybe he was taking it easy or just playing it defensive.
    Na not at all..that's not you

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Exactly. Belt promotions for the most part are unregulated and completely arbitrary and anyone can start teaching a course in a strip mall. Unless you're training with some guy that's got decades of experience or someone that started their own fighting system that's been proven to work, you never know who will be better or who can beat who.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19883...you-think.html
      That article is simply incorrect.

I can't speak for other countries, but for the UK, to become a judo black belt you are formally graded, and not at your own club by your instructor either. The same goes for several other martial arts. Maybe kung fu and other are different, but the article specifically mentions judo and the facts given are wrong.

Although anyone can give anyone a new belt if they want, it's not exactly common. I would think that an 8-0 Brazilian is going to be at least blue belt level. The TS said that it's a pro gym, which means people are paying a decent amount of money to go there, it's possible that the teacher isn't great but I would think that he knows what he's doing and has a lot of experience.

Comment

man, Cuauh, I believe you. When I studied judo I was getting private lessons by a guy who was training his kid for some junior championships. They were both black belts, dad was a registered instructor.

the kid's fitness level and technique were perfect and he had no trouble tossing me around even though i outweighed him by eight pounds but when i rolled with his dad, the experienced one, who was just out of shape and twenty years older than I, i nearly choked him out with his Gi. he reversed it on me eventually but brute strength can surely help if you're in there with somebody whose technique is off or who is out of shape slightly, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
          Na not at all..that's not you
          Bozz, shut the hell up already. You sound like a pretentious prick. Based on your posts, I would guess you've never grappled a day in your life.

Caut, glad you got to have a go and enjoyed yourself. I'm sure you do have a bit of natural talent from the sound of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy Horton View Post
            man, Cuauh, I believe you. When I studied judo I was getting private lessons by a guy who was training his kid for some junior championships. They were both black belts, dad was a registered instructor.

the kid's fitness level and technique were perfect and he had no trouble tossing me around even though i outweighed him by eight pounds but when i rolled with his dad, the experienced one, who was just out of shape and twenty years older than I, i nearly choked him out with his Gi. he reversed it on me eventually but brute strength can surely help if you're in there with somebody whose technique is off or who is out of shape slightly, etc.
            The first time I ever did judo was on my third trip to Japan, and I was fresh out of high school. I'd been a pretty decent high school wrestler, and wanted to give judo a go. I went to a gym and had a go with a guy about my size, and he through me every which way. The worst part was that his girl friend was in the corner watching, and he got to showing off. It literally became embarrassing how much he toyed around with me. He was a real legit guy though. And was really nice. But it's just when you get on the mat it's a different world.

With a little bit of judo training though I adjusted my game, and can pretty much hold my own with all the guys at the club here at the uni I'm in. I never cared about belts or ranks, sort of the wrestler mentality, but they tell me to wear a blackbelt when I train. I did judo in the US as well and was given a brown belt in 6 months because I would go to tournaments and win them. After I was given the brown belt, I went to a tournament in Sacramento and won that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
              That article is simply incorrect.

I can't speak for other countries, but for the UK, to become a judo black belt you are formally graded, and not at your own club by your instructor either. The same goes for several other martial arts. Maybe kung fu and other are different, but the article specifically mentions judo and the facts given are wrong.

Although anyone can give anyone a new belt if they want, it's not exactly common. I would think that an 8-0 Brazilian is going to be at least blue belt level. The TS said that it's a pro gym, which means people are paying a decent amount of money to go there, it's possible that the teacher isn't great but I would think that he knows what he's doing and has a lot of experience.
              It depends really. In the US there is formally a grading system, but if you have a legitimate coach and he deems you good enough, they can move you along. My coach was a seventh dan, and the day I was given my brown belt, it was by a 9th dan (who was one of the only ones in the country) who was in town for a 2 day training seminar, and they saw fit to promote me. But competition is also one of the tracks to promotion, so there's that.

In Japan, people start out as white, and when their coach deems they're good enough they go straight to black. But, judo is a sport first in Japan.

When it comes to moving up the dans (degrees), is when it becomes more serious though.
              Last edited by Drunken Cat; 10-19-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

BJJ though is usually regarded as being more stingy with belt promotions than most styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  Bozz, shut the hell up already. You sound like a pretentious prick. Based on your posts, I would guess you've never grappled a day in your life.

Caut, glad you got to have a go and enjoyed yourself. I'm sure you do have a bit of natural talent from the sound of it.
                  No I haven't and I never will it's not my thing to roll around with men but at least I'm not coming on here and tell stuff which is not true..

He's sparring pro boxers beating jiu jutsu guys at their own game..common man..if u wanna believe that bull**** do so..

I'm sure you do have a bit of natural talent from the sound of it
                  I'm sure he does

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
                    No I haven't and I never will it's not my thing to roll around with men but at least I'm not coming on here and tell stuff which is not true..

He's sparring pro boxers beating jiu jutsu guys at their own game..common man..if u wanna believe that bull**** do so..

I'm sure he does
                    Yeah, you're ignorance is glaringly obvious. You didn't have to answer for me to know that you hadn't. Had you said you had I wouldn't have believed you. So it would be wise to shut the hell up about things of which you are 100% ignorant. And no, watching TUF and posting on forums doesn't make you not 100% ignorant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacatit View Post
                      They act like these guys aren't regular people because they have ranks. Nobody would compare Jones technique to Machida or Shogun but they who would win. Jones is amateur as hell with his technique and gets the job done. I'm no Jones and I think my instructor was probably trying to lightly roll with me and got more thanhe expected. I didn't expect to do as well as I did.
                      Nobody said oh **** you did a good job when it was over but they were he's got him when I had dude back from the bottom, I just didn't know how to submit him wore out and he escaped. He finally submitted me as I gave in to exhaustion but the fact remains rankings don't always mean a thing.

Nobody would say Evans is a better striker than Chuck or Page but guess what ??? ...Exactly

Anyways after getting some training in Judo and Bjj I don't know why anybody would'nt participate in all 3. I love the work out I got and even when class didn't go so well for me I left feeling 3 inches taller.

I think all boxers should get a taste of Muay Thai, Bjj, Judo, & if your still in high school wrestling. I wish I would have wrestled in high school now. I would never train just one anymore they are all beneficial to the one..whatever that one may be for you as long as you don't get injured with a fight ahead.
                      I definitely would not train grappling if I had a fight in the works.
                      do you even grammer

Comment

Working...
                      X