Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why exactly did Roy Jones Jr not fight Lennox Lewis after defeating Ruiz?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Jones wanted to die in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by robertzimmerman View Post
      Yeah, it was big Roy. He said Volkswagen instead of a Ferrari. It was said in 1998 though, in regards to Roy signing to fight James "Buster" Douglas.
      Thanks for the corrections!

Comment

Originally posted by travestyny View Post
        Thanks for the corrections!
        No worries mate.

James was obviously past his best at that point, but he would still have been a very dangerous opponent.

It was great that big Roy stepped in, because it was the first time they'd spoken in about 6 years. It brought them back together as a family.

Comment

Yeah, as you know, Lennox gave a few interviews prior to his fight with Vitali, where he was speaking of potentially fighting another 2-3 times. In my opinion, he never thought Vitali would have caused him so much trouble. I think had he have beaten Vitali comfortably, he'd definitely have prolonged his career. His whole demeanour changed after Vitali, although he says it was his mother who pleaded with him to retire. Who knows? But under different circumstances, I think he'd have pushed for the fight against Roy.
          The"Mother "excuse would work if he was around12 true or not ........even guys like Holmes who never gave Klitchkos credit said Lewis didnt rematch bc he knew he was in for a tougher fight than the first time and of all ppl Dundee said Vitali would have won had the fight continued. I think anyone would push for a Jones fight for the $$$ particularly a 6'5 giant who would toy with him.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            The"Mother "excuse would work if he was around12 true or not ........even guys like Holmes who never gave Klitchkos credit said Lewis didnt rematch bc he knew he was in for a tougher fight than the first time and of all ppl Dundee said Vitali would have won had the fight continued. I think anyone would push for a Jones fight for the $$$ particularly a 6'5 giant who would toy with him.
            I didn't realise Larry had said that. I'll look into it, thanks.

Can you imagine if Lennox had fought Tyson again? What a joke that would have been.

Comment

I didn't realise Larry had said that. I'll look into it, thanks.

Can you imagine if Lennox had fought Tyson again? What a joke that would have been.
              LARRY HOLMES (2004): “YEAH, HE WAS WILLING TO DO IT (GIVE UP HIS EYE TO WIN THE LEWIS FIGHT). THAT’S WHAT YOU GOT TO DO. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I’D HAVE BEAT ON HIS EYE TILL HE EITHER GAVE UP – OR HIS EYE FELL OUT OF HIS HEAD [LAUGHS]. ‘CAUSE THAT’S THE GAME. LENNOX WAS NOT AS BIG AS THIS GUY BUT HE WAS UP THERE TO REACH HIM WITH THE PUNCHES. AND HE PUNCHES WELL ENOUGH TO HURT HIM. IT’S JUST THAT I DON’T THINK HE WANTED TO TAKE THAT RISK AGAIN. HE KNOWS THAT BOY GONNA FIGHT HIM AGAIN – AND HE GONNA FIGHT HIM EVEN HARDER THIS TIME. I THINK THEY BOTH LEARNED SOMETHING FROM EACH OTHER THAT NIGHT.”

His quote was longer and a little more detailed than remembered but its basically saying Lewis didnt want a harder fight against an improving fighter who posses a threat like that .

And of course Holmes has to throw himself above all while hes not even relevant to the matter ......

PORTRAIT OF A CHAMPION: MEMORABLE QUOTES ABOUT VITALI KLITSCHKO ...that is the article with more imput from others on Vitali ...these Lewis threads always end up leading to Vitali so i'll leave it at that...lol
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 09-20-2016, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
                LARRY HOLMES (2004): “YEAH, HE WAS WILLING TO DO IT (GIVE UP HIS EYE TO WIN THE LEWIS FIGHT). THAT’S WHAT YOU GOT TO DO. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I’D HAVE BEAT ON HIS EYE TILL HE EITHER GAVE UP – OR HIS EYE FELL OUT OF HIS HEAD [LAUGHS]. ‘CAUSE THAT’S THE GAME. LENNOX WAS NOT AS BIG AS THIS GUY BUT HE WAS UP THERE TO REACH HIM WITH THE PUNCHES. AND HE PUNCHES WELL ENOUGH TO HURT HIM. IT’S JUST THAT I DON’T THINK HE WANTED TO TAKE THAT RISK AGAIN. HE KNOWS THAT BOY GONNA FIGHT HIM AGAIN – AND HE GONNA FIGHT HIM EVEN HARDER THIS TIME. I THINK THEY BOTH LEARNED SOMETHING FROM EACH OTHER THAT NIGHT.”

His quote was longer and a little more detailed than remembered but its basically saying Lewis didnt want a harder fight against an improving fighter who posses a threat like that .

And of course Holmes has to throw himself above all while hes not even relevant to the matter ......

PORTRAIT OF A CHAMPION: MEMORABLE QUOTES ABOUT VITALI KLITSCHKO ...that is the article with more imput from others on Vitali ...these Lewis threads always end up leading to Vitali so i'll leave it at that...lol
                Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate you posting those up.

That was very cool of you.

I'll check it out later.

Comment

Working...
                X