No announcement yet.

How do I close the distance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I close the distance?

Hey I spar alot and I've been learning and correcting alot of mistakes I'm doing especially from the forums can you please help me again.

things I've learned from this forum that helped me

Don't throw a jab only , follow it up with something

Always have your eyes towards your opponent and never face away.

and straight punches will get you far in AM's.

This has all helped me thank you for your kindness. Just one more thing.

How do I get close to the person when I try to do it with punches I lose a little balance because they just keep going backwards when I try to hit them and if I try to do it with balance I am not close enough to hit them. If I go forward they jab me in the face. Right now my only strategy is put the hands up in the face and put a guard like this ()0() and put the hands tightly towards my face and charge in with left right. What can I do to close distances efficiently. And if you do have videos it would be really appreciated I learn alot better with it.

Originally posted by nirojsri View Post
    Hey I spar alot and I've been learning and correcting alot of mistakes I'm doing especially from the forums can you please help me again.

How do I get close to the person when I try to do it with punches I lose a little balance because they just keep going backwards when I try to hit them and if I try to do it with balance I am not close enough to hit them. If I go forward they jab me in the face. Right now my only strategy is put the hands up in the face and put a guard like this ()0() and put the hands tightly towards my face and charge in with left right. What can I do to close distances efficiently. And if you do have videos it would be really appreciated I learn alot better with it.
    To get past that jab come in at a angle or slip the jab

Comment

alot of head movement and cut off the ring and dont punch while he is backing up wait until you are at a good distance, like you said it will just throw your balance off

Comment

Throwing only a jab is good sometimes to "soften" up or test the opponent, especially in the beginning of the fight when you still are working on getting the feel .
        A good hard jab can help you a lot, and after a while in the fight you can fool him by hinting that you will throw a jab but you throw a left/right hook instead that will take him by surprise, but that and many other tricks are something that will come with time and sparring/fights

Comment

Originally posted by nirojsri View Post

Do a double step feint.

Its a step feint followed by a stepping jab so you close two steps of distance before you throw a punch.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer Q21 View Post
            alot of head movement and cut off the ring and dont punch while he is backing up wait until you are at a good distance, like you said it will just throw your balance off
            Alot of my sparring partners love to circle around the ring when I cut off their distance.when I slip from punches I still don't get much distance and when I do they just circle around and redo it allover again.

Comment

taunt them.. put your chin up in the air and tap on it. tell them "stop running choncho"

Comment

watch what Hagler did to Hearns (first round)

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
                  watch what Hagler did to Hearns (first round)

that was a helpful video thanks

Comment

I would suggest trying to circle them.

Comment

Working...
                    X