Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the next great generation of boxers already in MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lparm View Post
    I don't understand how Floyd "embarrassed the UFC" at all. Explain that one.

For sure though Connor vs Floyd in strictly a boxing match Floyd wins but Connor vs Floyd in a street fight, MMA ring, kickboxing ring, muy Thai ring etc etc etc etc etc absolutely Connor murders Floyd.
    Other posters have explained it quite well. Essentially, the UFC used Mayweather's name to hype its fighters. They sought to humiliate boxing as a martial art, in order to gain fans. Throughout all this, Mayweather's response was that boxers would knock MMA fighters out, and that his career in boxing was much more profitable.

Mayweather ended up winning both those hype fights by outlasting them. The last nail in the coffin was a boxer (Holm) beating Rousey, who the UFC hyped as being able to beat Floyd (the top boxer right now). It showed that what people thought was way, way off. It didn't take a male boxer to stand up to a female MMA fighter; a female boxer, largely unknown and just starting out in MMA, was good enough. It set the record straight.

The reason this is significant is because, frankly, it was really disrespectful to watch everyone, even boxing ESPN writers, act like MMA fighters would annihilate boxers. These writers, for as much as they know, have never boxed a day in their lives. It was a betrayal to the sport which stung all the more because of it. Much the same when it came to fans, in the sense of not respecting the sport. Public opinion was truly terrible at the time, and it was insulting. Not so much in an utterly serious way, but still so.

I, for one, have boxed, and I know how dangerous boxing is as a martial art. I take pride in it. So, it was a victory when Holm proved them all wrong. I don't care so much about the Floyd aspect of it, but he was the one who symbolized boxing for them, so his victory is boxing's victory, in this sense.

Anyhow, I can tell you right now that, in a street fight, the boxer has the ultimate advantage. Why? Most fights start standing up. That right there is an edge. Second reason? Who in their right mind is going to wrestle someone on the ground, when a fighter can get their eyes gouged out and so forth?

That is a point most people miss when they start listing all the supposed ways in which "a boxer would lose to an MMA fighter." Let me add a third reason: kicks. Most head kicks fail to land. So, is the plan to hope you can get in range, over and over again, to kick someone's legs enough to get them down? That's what they're left with.

You know how open that'll leave an MMA fighter? All a boxer has to do is keep the distance, wait for an opening, and boom, fight's over. That is what a real street fight could very well look like, if it includes a good boxer. How people have missed this is beyond me, but whatever.

To get to the point, every martial art is equal. They can all be deadly, given the right circumstances. Hence, anyone can lose to anyone. But, and I'll repeat this again because it is extremely important, boxing maintains the first edge in any fight. That is simply the truth because of the stand-up commencement aspect. In my opinion, this adds to boxing's value overall. It can be defeated, of course, but it has something that the others do not. Boxing's simply the most efficient way to begin a fight. Once it begins, the boxer doesn't have to worry about getting out of a hold right off the bat, but the MMA fighter has to worry about getting out-boxed immediately. This concept can be extended to any kind of ring you think of.

Nevertheless, learning other martial arts besides boxing is useful. In particular, I think something like Krav Maga is very interesting. The idea of applying a martial art to real world situations is headed in the right direction. That's what fighting is all about, at the end of it--winning no matter what. Of course, I see flaws in the style, but I keep in mind that it appears that the objective is many times to avoid getting shot or stabbed, instead of winning a physical fight. All the slappy punches make sense in that regard.

MMA fighters, eventually, will be more fearsome than boxers. But this is when, and only when, they begin learning as many martial arts as possible from the beginning. That time is not here yet.

Comment

You do realise Conor Mcgregor started off as a boxer but was bang average and actually used to get bashed up in sparring by an Irish middleweight called Anthony Fitzgerald, who is nothing special to say the least. Top welterweight my swollocks

Comment

Most UFC fighters don't even know how to throw a jab, they would get destroyed in boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivore View Post
          There's some kind of theory that because Ronda and Conor said they would beat up Floyd in an interview, then lost to other MMA fighters, Floyd holds wins over both of them.

According to the same logic Roy Jones holds a win over Anderson Silva, Tyson Fury holds a win over Junior Dos Santos, Wladimir Klitschko holds a win over Kane Velasquez...

Damn in my imagination boxers are way better than MMA fighters
          Every time I log in here, any time of the day, you're always on. Get a job, instead of sitting on your fat arse all day whining about immigrants. Useless twat.

Comment

Originally posted by fanofslug View Post
            Every time I log in here, any time of the day, you're always on. Get a job, instead of sitting on your fat arse all day whining about immigrants. Useless twat.
            In the future we work on computers

And I am an immigrant, just not a backwards primitive muslim

Back into your cave, lesser being
            Last edited by ////; 04-18-2016, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Royce Gracie did exactly what Ronda Rousey did; only difference is he did so in the days of openweight combat.
              Royce Gracie did what he did in a time when the sport didn't even exist, not in it's current form that's been around since the 2000's. It wasn't in the current form MMA has taken. Royce wouldn't be able to do to the LW division what Ronda did to WBW, not during this present era.

Men's MMA has a thousand times more talent behind it than Womens' MMA, you can't use WMMA as a an example of the sport as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousVice View Post
                Royce Gracie did what he did in a time when the sport didn't even exist, not in it's current form that's been around since the 2000's. It wasn't in the current form MMA has taken. Royce wouldn't be able to do to the LW division what Ronda did to WBW, not during this present era.

Men's MMA has a thousand times more talent behind it than Womens' MMA, you can't use WMMA as a an example of the sport as a whole.
                Why not? Ronda Rousey, with nary any real striking skills, was able to dominate a weight class because her judo/grappling was world's better than any fighter's grappling (with the depth of striking skills largely lacking at the weight).

Comment

And the Rousey fight wasn't the first time a boxer, supposedly certain to lose, utterly destroyed an MMA fighter. Sylvia vs Mercer comes to mind. It's just that the new, mostly White and casual, MMA fans didn't even watch it back then, so they have no idea it happened.

They fell for the whole Toney vs Couture set-up, when we all know that Toney shouldn't have even been allowed to fight in boxing, let alone MMA. Despite the fact that it is blatantly clear that Toney was a man completely out of shape and health, they somehow used that to fuel this crazy "MMA fighters automatically win against boxers theory."

It is insulting that our writers, our fans, fell for that. I hope we never make the same mistake again. Boxers can beat MMA fighters.

Comment

No. I mean obviously there are UFC guys who could have been good boxers. But there are good soccer and basketball players who could have been good boxers too. As of yet I haven't heard any examples of potentially 'great' boxers going the MMA route. MMA has some distance to go before that starts to happen on a large scale.

Comment

Lets be real about this Connor murders Floyd.

Tyson is a street fighter, so is mayorga and a few others those guys thrive in any combat sport.

Floyd is about style and the rules protecting him. The second Connor yanks his arm Floyd would be tapping faster than your wanking hand to an Errol spence fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X