Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Iceman Diary" Flashback: September 25, 2004...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Iceman Diary" Flashback: September 25, 2004...

September 25, 2004: Roy Jones was knocked out tonight by Glen Johnson for the IBF Light heavyweight title. This is the first time Roy has been OUT. Against Tarver he was stopped and hurt bad but this time it was ugly and frightening. I have been hardened by years in the game and have been up close to the ring when guys have been knocked out unconscious and it never really even made me wince, other than the time Roy knocked out Art Serwano in Reno in 1992. That was scary. Last night was worse. I jumped out of my seat last night because, the way it looked, I had the feeling we might be seeing a Gerald McClellan type situation. Several moments after the KO saw Roy still laying there motionless looking like he was frozen in time.

You have to give all credit to Johnson and his corner. This guy fought the right fight, mentally as much as physically. If there was ever a time to step in and go right to Roy, with an all out assault and little respect as Glen did in the first round tonight, it was now. The last time Roy was in a pro ring was less than four months ago and he was stopped with one punch by Antonio. A hard pill to swallow for a guy who had dominated probably ninety-five percent of every round he has ever fought as a professional. Tonight Glen came out and immediately got Roy right back into a bad mental situation. He never let Roy get set. Not once in the whole fight. Every single time Roy set his feet and threw good shots he was met with furious return fire. Going the other way, if Glen came out and tried to just work his way into the fight and take his time he would have most likely allowed Roy to get his engine started and settle into a groove, find his rhythm against a less enthusiastic foe and taken control of the fight after a few rounds. But Glen wasn't having that. Not tonight. He is the poster boy now for, "Doing what you gotta' do."

Now, I am not one for calling for retirement as soon as a guy looks like he is finished. I usually think it is the fighters decision and his alone but in this case I have to say that my gut feeling -all things considered- is that Roy Jones should probably retire. As I've stated before, his prime to me was from late 1993 to somewhere around 1999. That Roy Jones was a brilliant boxer with brilliant moves, defense, combinations and speed. Now, he has gotten hit more in his last three fights than he had in all his previous fights combined and he has spoke too often of a serious lack of motivation and drive in recent years. It's definitely a problem when you cannot get motivated enough to fight the best fighters in the world.

Last night he was not able to keep Johnson off of him and his return fire was nowhere near enough to get Johnson to even take a step backwards. Let's be real. Glen did a great job last night and showed true mental and physical championship qualities but this is a man who I really believe wouldn't win more than a round or two against the prime Roy Jones. You have to know that. I think he would probably go the distance against Roy back in the day but his style would be tailor made for RJ, no doubt. I have seen Roy Jones fight live and in person eighteen times as a professional and countless other times in the amateurs and in the gym sparring. He beat twenty or more guys like Glen Johnson over the years, sometimes with ridiculous ease.

Now, though, Roy Jones has slipped in the last year into a mental and physical funk and these two KO losses are things that I don't think a 35 year old veteran with fifty fights behind him can fully come back from. Mentally and Physically Roy is weaker than I ever imagined I would see him. I keep thinking back to the start of the ninth round to where I saw Roy come out and attempt to touch gloves with Glen because that immediately a red flag with me. I mean, when I saw him make the attempt it immediately raised a red flag with me because, you see, it wasn't like he was fighting an overmatched guy that he was beating easily and he was touching gloves like he has in the past to kind of say, "Hey, your doing OK. I respect that you are still trying."

This was Roy Jones losing every round, though, against a super tough and strong willed guy who just wasn't taking no for an answer. Roy had to know he was way behind and I think somewhere deep down he knew he wasn't going to come from behind and KO this guy, either. He reached out to touch gloves and, I promise you, when I saw that I sat up in my chair and immediately thought to myself, "something is wrong with his confidence. This isn't the Roy Jones I know."

When a guy like Roy Jones starts touching gloves at the start of a round with a guy that is beating him like that, then I know something just isn't adding up.

Less than ninety seconds later the fight was over.

Ice man what do you think of these fighters Carlos Monzon, Tony Ayala, Gerald Mccellan and Light middleweight davey moore, you got any intresting stories about them? also did you ever spar the g man?

Comment

Comment

Monzon, great fighter...Ayala so much potential but he was only a baby when he went to jail the first time, to say he would have been GREAT is very speculative...I was in the amateurs with Gerald, I was there when he beat RJ in 1988, I have been in the gym with him...Gerald was a pretty nice guy when I was around him...he was a fierce fighter but definitely coulod be outbox by a guy like RJ as a pro...Davey Moore was a great amateur who moved up VERY quickly as a pro..wins the WBA after only 12 fights I think...lost to Donald Curry at the 80' Olympic trials...people remember him getting thrashed by Duran but I remember him TRYING SO HARD against Duran...Moore had HUGE will and heart!!!
        Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
          Monzon, great fighter...Ayala so much potential but he was only a baby when he went to jail the first time, to say he would have been GREAT is very speculative...I was in the amateurs with Gerald, I was there when he beat RJ in 1988, I have been in the gym with him...Gerald was a pretty nice guy whenh I was around him...he was a fierce fighter but definitely coulod be outbox by a guy like RJ as a pro...Davey Moore was a great amateur who moved up VERY quickly as a pro..wins the WBA after only 12 fights I think...lost to Donald Curry at the 80' Olympic trials..people remember him getting thrashed by Duran but I remember him TRYING SO HARD against Duran...Moore had HIUGE will and heart!!!
          Great post john, what was the jones/g man fight like? i always thought roy jones avoided g man in the pro's. What did you think of the 1999 version of ayala, was there any talk of you and him boxing, because he boxed as high as super middleweight?

Comment

No lie, the RJ-Gerald fight was one of the most action packed amateur fights I ever witnessed, especially at that level...(actually, kin my book I include the recap of the fight that appeared in the local paper the next morning)...Around 1999 there was some talk of Ayala and I boxing but they wanted me to go down in weight and at that time there was no way I could do that...I personally don't think RJ exactly avoided G-Man...Don King promoted Gerald and that in itself caused many glitches as much as anything..one thing about Roy, he was a smart person when it came to boxing and he knew exactly how to beat Gerald...if Dennis Milton and Ralph Ward could outbox Gerald then I would have to think RJ would have too...
            Last edited by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY; 05-08-2009, 10:37 PM.

Comment

wow, sorry about all those typos (I fixed them

Comment

Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
                wow, sorry about all those typos (I fixed them
                How was G-man as a person,he looked meaner then a mofo,im really intrested to know how he was outside the ring,he looked like an intimidating person

Comment

Originally posted by bishop2006 View Post
                  How was G-man as a person,he looked meaner then a mofo,im really intrested to know how he was outside the ring,he looked like an intimidating person

The one time we really interacted was at Sugar Ray's gym in Maryland one month after he fought Roy...I had lost a very controversial decision two months earlier in the finals of the National Golden Gloves on ESPN and Gerald made it a point to say to me that he was at the fight and watched it on TV and that he thought I won the fight. I distinctly remember speaking with him and coming away with a very good impression of him. I actually have a photo I took that week in the gym of Roy, Gerald, Michael Ward and Timmy Hagens

Comment

Thanks for posting that John. Never expected Jones to get a shot at the light heavyweight title again after that. The Hatton-Pacquiao knockout last week reminded me of the Jones-Johnson knockout, scary stuff for a while there when they were on the canvas.
                    Last edited by Silencers; 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X