Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is becoming a boxer follow the same process of becoming a baseball player?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is becoming a boxer follow the same process of becoming a baseball player?

I had been curious lately how some athletes join a team, with boxing I know how it goes; you go to gym, you meet a trainer willing to take a chance with you; take you to the fights to see where you stand, if special you get taken seriously, if not, you get treated like a gym rat.

So back to the original post; I read a news lately that those Cuban baseball players from Cuba that play in the MLB now were taken in by some sports agency (I would assume this is an equivalent to a boxer's manager). There is one in Miami (of all places). Were those Cuban baseball players already baseball players in their home country and what's the reason why they are most welcomed in MLB instead of what the U.S. already have (I'm sure the U.S. has the talents as well). How did baseball become Cuban-centric?

What I'm trying to get at here is how does one become a baseball player? It seems rather mysterious? With basketball and football, in general, those guys do well in high school to get in the good colleges to play ball for scholarship, then they get drafted to play in the pros (right?). How come this process isn't true with baseball and or boxing? I know the reason for boxing, but baseball, makes me scratch my head a bit.

Baseball players get paid a lot for doing almost nothing, agree? It's almost as if the staggering amount paid to an athlete is more exciting than the actual ball game. I guess this has become the niche of baseball? The free TV and ad and endorsements keep the money flowing, I guess? Plus the "fanatics" who feel they need to cling on to a sports team just because they are from the same city/state as the team is based at. Nothing against baseball, but the whole mystery about it boggles me. Oh below is the article regarding the sports agency and smuggling of baseball players from Cuba:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuban-p...6695--mlb.html
    Last edited by thealfa; 04-29-2016, 03:25 AM.

Boxing is not a team sport so not the same

Comment

Originally posted by thealfa View Post
      I had been curious lately how some athletes join a team, with boxing I know how it goes; you go to gym, you meet a trainer willing to take a chance with you; take you to the fights to see where you stand, if special you get taken seriously, if not, you get treated like a gym rat.

So back to the original post; I read a news lately that those Cuban baseball players from Cuba that play in the MLB now were taken in by some sports agency (I would assume this is an equivalent to a boxer's manager). There is one in Miami (of all places). Were those Cuban baseball players already baseball players in their home country and what's the reason why they are most welcomed in MLB instead of what the U.S. already have (I'm sure the U.S. has the talents as well). How did baseball become Cuban-centric?

What I'm trying to get at here is how does one become a baseball player? It seems rather mysterious? With basketball and football, in general, those guys do well in high school to get in the good colleges to play ball for scholarship, then they get drafted to play in the pros (right?). How come this process isn't true with baseball and or boxing? I know the reason for boxing, but baseball, makes me scratch my head a bit.

Baseball players get paid a lot for doing almost nothing, agree? It's almost as if the staggering amount paid to an athlete is more exciting than the actual ball game. I guess this has become the niche of baseball? The free TV and ad and endorsements keep the money flowing, I guess? Plus the "fanatics" who feel they need to cling on to a sports team just because they are from the same city/state as the team is based at. Nothing against baseball, but the whole mystery about it boggles me. Oh below is the article regarding the sports agency and smuggling of baseball players from Cuba:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuban-p...6695--mlb.html
      I would imagine that the 'Star'//& rich baseball players they DO have their struggle!
      Boxing is my game. How old are you? How are you situated? [I had my first fight (Boxing) ARMY]
      You are wanting to 'Box'? Or, play baseball??
      I have "nothing doing WITH baseball" [I'll say it is a HEALTHY SPORT! One of my good -LATE- true friends from Pelham, Ny Bob Cremins once STRUCK-OUT Babe Ruth!! : ) He'd tell me "thousands of pitchers had same distinction!" : ) "the great" Bob Cremins! : ) &/+ me, myself was "the one" to LIFT THE CURSE OFF OF THE BOSOX! -even though I am Not a Fan, I happen to be in the right place at the right time!- Baseball very "healthy!!!"Sport!]
      Of course all them PLAYERS have mad background in Cuba!

Comment

someone told me players get picked from high school, get pampered in college and then play in the MLB. Seems as if "it's who you know"? Like with everything...

Comment

^ ^ "It isn't what you know...it is who you know..." LONG/well aged cliche! Actually, it IS WHAT YOU KNOW, or......your SLILL! "Sure" positioning helps at times! But! Skill gonna shin thru!

Comment

well technically "who you know" means it's also "what you know" as well.

Comment

Working...
            X