Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should World Titles Be Stripped For Social Indiscretions Like In The UFC?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should World Titles Be Stripped For Social Indiscretions Like In The UFC?

This question may boil down to the character of a boxer and whether or not they're seen as role models as well as representatives of the organization they hold a title with, and of course as ambassadors of the sport of boxing.

Imagine if Floyd was stripped of his titles for allegedly beating his wife. Or Pacquiao and Fury were stripped of their titles for their ****phobic comments. Or Kovalev was stripped of his title for his alleged racism.

In UFC there was a new precedent set last year. Jon Jones was stripped of his light heavyweight world title because of a hit-and-run incident where he accidentally hit a pregnant lady's car and broke her arm, after which he drove away without reporting the incident. He was stripped for violating UFC fighters Code of Conduct. Prior to this, all previous stripped titles were either due to PED use, signing with a rival organization, or training injuries which meant extended inactivity.

In boxing we see cases where even if a boxer tests positive for PEDs they're sometimes still allowed to keep the title, perhaps most famously in the highly corrupt, Washington-based, Khan vs Peterson fight where Peterson later admitted to using PEDs but was allowed to retain the belt by the IBF, although he was immediately stripped by the WBA, and rightfully so of course it goes without saying.

But should boxing follow suit and start stripping champions for indiscretions and incidents not only inside the sport but also outside of the ring because they violate a boxer's code of conduct which ultimately reflects badly on the title they hold and, more importantly, reflects badly on the sport of boxing as a whole?
    Last edited by FlatLine; 03-12-2016, 05:58 AM.

No that's dumb. The only reason I could see doing it is if the fighter did something that landed him in jail and he wouldn't be able to defend the title.

Comment

If there's a rule somewhere in the abc's right now than I don't see a problem.

Comment

Jon Jones lost his title because after many previous issues, the hit and run incident got him suspended from the UFC.

The only way it would make sense in boxing is if jail time prevented a belt being defended. Without boxing being overseen by one company (like the UFC is run), there is no way to implement that stuff.

Anyway, losing your belt for '****phobic comments' would be a complete insult to the sport.

Comment

No Politcal Correctness is killing this country as Donald Trump stated the only person taking a man title should be the fist of another man, On PEDS or 750 Ml Saline uses the person should be stripped and the decision should be changed to a DQ loss

Comment

No, that's what I like about Boxing.

Deontay Wilder can beat on internet trolls like Zelenoff with no consequences.

Imagine if Lebron, Cam Newton, Brady did something like that? lol

Comment

No boxing doesn't have an image to uphold or one ruler like Nba ufc etc

Comment

WBC has those rules, but they don't really enforce them. Except for that one time against Chris Arreola.

Comment

Isn't that what happened to Ali back in the day pretty much?

I wouldn't have a problem with it. It has its good & bad points. Personally I thought the UFC made a bad move stripping Jon Jones, but if a boxer or MMA guy killed someone shouldn't he be stripped? What if he just tried to kill someone? There are levels to this for sure. Interesting question. Biggest issue would be I think the almighty dollar controls things more in boxing today so Floyd isn't gonna be stripped for his domestic abuse issues cuz he makes too much money for the sport.

Comment

Nah, the tendency to circumvent people's right to freely speak and express themselves is getting frightening. Only thing that should result in a boxer getting stripped of his belt is the inability to defend his belt.

Comment

Working...
                    X