Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Alis lean back, or lay back a controversial way of defence?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Alis lean back, or lay back a controversial way of defence?

Im not sure if im mistaken but in the past i have read that Ali was unorthodox in that he would lean back from punches which you are not supposed to do or something like that.

But in the boxing books ive read, a lean back is legitimate way of getting out of the way of punches so im confused?

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
    Im not sure if im mistaken but in the past i have read that Ali was unorthodox in that he would lean back from punches which you are not supposed to do or something like that.

But in the boxing books ive read, a lean back is legitimate way of getting out of the way of punches so im confused?
    its unorthodox....Prince Naseem,Roy Jones...Ali all unorthodox fighters they lean back...hands down throw punches from weird angles...all unorthodox things

Comment

As a noob, dont do it. just because It worked for them doesnt mean it will work for you, I see guys trying to do it at my gym, then I throw again and knock them down.

Comment

Originally posted by Roye'l View Post
        its unorthodox....Prince Naseem,Roy Jones...Ali all unorthodox fighters they lean back...hands down throw punches from weird angles...all unorthodox things
        yet you don't expect what their about to trow while they expect every move you make...well exept ali......

Comment

Ali, Jones, Naz were all incredible athletes and had crazy reflexes. Most people don't and it's a good way to get put on your ass either because you'll get hit clean, or you'll be off balance get knocked over.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottDBA View Post
            Ali, Jones, Naz were all incredible athletes and had crazy reflexes. Most people don't and it's a good way to get put on your ass either because you'll get hit clean, or you'll be off balance get knocked over.
            This.

We have a guy at our gym, one of my sparring partners, who does some of that stuff. He is very fast and has good reflexes so he can use it. Still though, Alot of the time me and other guys are able to tag him by doubling up as he leans and drops back.

You should always try conventional means of doing things before trying a different way.

Comment

But the instructional book i read "the art of boxing" by jim burns, advocates its a good defense move which you can use to counter.

You dont move your rear leg, but just keep your stance a little wider, lean back and when you become more upright you can counter with your own punch combination.
              But it does say that a step back is probably better.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post
                But the instructional book i read "the art of boxing" by jim burns, advocates its a good defense move which you can use to counter.

You dont move your rear leg, but just keep your stance a little wider, lean back and when you become more upright you can counter with your own punch combination.
                But it does say that a step back is probably better.
                Like the others have said, I wouldn't recommend it. Many of us probably tried it when we first started sparring and I'm pretty sure we all paid for it with an ass wooping!

Ali was incredibly gifted and the biggest mistake anyone can make is to try and copy him.

Same thing applies to copying Floyd and his Philly Shell.

Comment

nah its a great technique that will only fail you if you dont understand it.

you dont lean back on hooks or swings. thats it. the rest of the time leaning back is fine.

people who lean back alot and dont understand it will get used to allways leaning back and invariably lean back in to a wild haymaker or a hook that the oponet opened up as soon as he saw you going back.

and even people that understand this and lean back alot still tend to lean back into hooks and haymakers just from doing it so much.

so really it should only be a last resort that most beginners should ween them self off using but in mastery of it it can be very useful, of course mastery of it requires a diffrent style closer to that of the old masters then modern boxing with most the weight on the back foot and the back foot pointing to the right.
                  Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 10-14-2010, 04:40 AM.

Comment

it got ali in a lot of trouble plenty of times. got knocked down a bunch of times because of that habit

so yeah just stick with the basics. if ali gets knocked down using that technique then you wont stand a chance being successful at it. you might look good doing that against some idiot in your gym that doesnt know anything about boxing but when you fight somebody who knows what hes doing you will get dropped prety quick id assume

Comment

Working...
                    X