No announcement yet.

is sexy sergio over rated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is sexy sergio over rated?

There is no doubt imo he is the best fighter from 154-160 pounds at the moment.

At 36 it seems he is finally getting some respect and praise (so much for athletes dont become great ey floyd?)

But i cant help but think he is a bit over rated today. I feel he is benefiting from a very weak middleweight era.

His string of last few fights is certainly respectable.

Cintron - Who i feel he clearly beat. It went down as a draw though

Williams - FOTY for me. IMO williams did just about enough to nick the win. the SD loss was by no means a robbery it was a close fight either way

Pavlik - This win is a problem with me. its well documented Pavlik is having problems, plus he had already been schooled by Hopkins which no doubt took away a lot of his confidence going into this fight. A great win at the time but in hindsight maybe not as good as we first though?

Williams - KTFO out williams. caught him completely cold and took him OUT. Full credit

Dzinziruk - Respectable win but against a fairly limited opponent

He is a h2h nightmare right now and i feel a lot of guys are dodging him. Thats more due to his awkward style more than great boxing skill. He is a very awkward fighter.

I have a problem with his resume pre cintron.
    Maybe its because people have always been ducking him i dont know. But looking at some of the names, from 2002-2007

Alvaro Moreno Gamboa 12-23-2
    Tamaz Tskrialashvili 7-9-0
    Presente Brito 11-14-3
    Vasile Surcica 13-24-2
    Oliver Tchinda 1-7-2
    Pavel Florin Madalin 3-34-2
    Russell Jordan 14-4-0
    David Toribio 14-10-0
    Archak TerMeliksetian 16-6-0

Thats pretty shocking opposition.
    It really seems since Margarito schooled him back in 2000, Martinez has been in a slumber in terms of opposition. No doubt some good wins in there but a lot of shocking opposition.

His best win is arguably over Pavlik who had been exposed by Hopins and IMO always been over rated.

I dont think Martinez has done quite enough to be p4p in the top 3, which he seems to be in.

I really like martinez i find him very entertaining. But I dont think hes in the same bracket as floyd and manny, or even donaire or hopkins p4p wise.

A very good champion today. Clearly the best from 154-160. But i dont think hes done enough over his career to warrant such elevated p4p status

FOR THE RECORD::: I feel he deserves a shot at floyd or pac. but i cannot blame then in the least for turning that down. Its a dangerous fight against a MUCH MUCH bigger opponent. And its no slight on either fighter that they dont fancy it. i feel martinez is the hardest possible opponent for both pac and floyd

I think he's being overhyped by the fans, but he's a solid well-rounded Boxer(P4P wise). And yes, he would beat Floyd and Manny easily. I think he should move up to Super Middleweight.
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 09-27-2011, 05:50 PM.

Comment

So who is not overrated? You could do this for anyone really.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
        So who is not overrated? You could do this for anyone really.
        thats just plain and simply not true.

pac and floyd are over rated by their hardcore fanboys. but thats the case with every boxer. the general consensus seems to be that martinez is a top 3 p4p fighter which i think is some way off the mark. he is a good champion. but not a p4p top 3? He literally has 3 good wins. thats all.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
          Pavlik - This win is a problem with me. its well documented Pavlik is having problems, plus he had already been schooled by Hopkins which no doubt took away a lot of his confidence going into this fight. A great win at the time but in hindsight maybe not as good as we first though?
          There's nothing wrong with being schooled by an ATG two weigh classes above what you normally fight in. Sure Hopkins was the underdog at the time, but in insight it turns out Hopkins was even better than what we thought. And I don't think Pavlik suddenly become completely shot all of sudden after Hopkins. Nobody gave him credit for completely dominating Marco Antonio Rubio afterwards, but now he's a top 10 MW.

Maybe Pavlik isn't THAT great, but he was still the lineal champ of an historically prestigious division. And I still don't see anybody in middleweight (other than Sergio) capable of beating the same Pavlik Martinez fought.

Comment

Really nice post.......i think the same thing....and by no means i think that Sergio is a club fighter......but a little overrated.......good fighter though...........

Comment

Originally posted by noekin3 View Post
              Really nice post.......i think the same thing....and by no means i think that Sergio is a club fighter......but a little overrated.......good fighter though...........
              thats basically how i see it

Comment

no hes not..you have eyes..and seen whats he's done to top competition....no 1 would fight him..forrest vacated his belt rather than face him

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
                  There's nothing wrong with being schooled by an ATG two weigh classes above what you normally fight in. Sure Hopkins was the underdog at the time, but in insight it turns out Hopkins was even better than what we thought. And I don't think Pavlik suddenly become completely shot all of sudden after Hopkins. Nobody gave him credit for completely dominating Marco Antonio Rubio afterwards, but now he's a top 10 MW.

Maybe Pavlik isn't THAT great, but he was still the lineal champ of an historically prestigious division. And I still don't see anybody in middleweight (other than Sergio) capable of beating the same Pavlik Martinez fought.
                  What the... How are you able to quote me for something that i didn't wrote? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Carpe Diem View Post
                    What the... How are you able to quote me for something that i didn't wrote? lol
                    I was quoting OP. I clicked on the wrong quick reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X