Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What If Floyd Patterson Had Fought At Light-Heavyweight Instead Of Heavyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GJC View Post
    You think Johnson would have beaten him but not Archie Moore?
    Archie is my #1 LHW, as he had the style that was suited to beat just about anyone. And he pretty much did beat everyone, save Charles, my #2 LHW.

Johnson had a style that would do better against cruder fighters like Patterson. I see him out boxing Patterson to a UD. Patterson has a punchers chance, but not a chance to win the majority of rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
      Archie is my #1 LHW, as he had the style that was suited to beat just about anyone. And he pretty much did beat everyone, save Charles, my #2 LHW.

Johnson had a style that would do better against cruder fighters like Patterson. I see him out boxing Patterson to a UD. Patterson has a punchers chance, but not a chance to win the majority of rounds.
      Guess it is about styles I would fancy Patterson against Johnson myself but wouldn't argue too strongly with your view.

Comment

I have to admit this is the first time I've ever heard ANYONE refer to Patterson as a "crude" fighter. Must be a buzzword for anyone who isn't a Philly fighter.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          I have to admit this is the first time I've ever heard ANYONE refer to Patterson as a "crude" fighter. Must be a buzzword for anyone who isn't a Philly fighter.

Poet
          He was 1 dimensional, albeit a great dimension. Maybe crude was a little harsh.

Comment

Jerry Quarry shoulda been a lhw, like his brother Mike. He would knock everybody out!

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
              Jerry Quarry shoulda been a lhw, like his brother Mike. He would knock everybody out!
              Quarry was too big. 20 year old Quarry was 190 lbs. 20 year old Patterson was 170 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                Quarry was too big. 20 year old Quarry was 190 lbs. 20 year old Patterson was 170 lbs.
                But he was never a heavyweight, he was a cruiserweight.

Comment

Patterson should have beat Maxim but he was very young at that point and improved massively imo between that fight and the Moore fight, I dont know why someone early said that Moorer would have beaten Patterson at light heavyweight??? Patterson already dominated Moore for the heavyweight title and although it was in the weight above the actual difference in weight was negligible. Also Patterson was far from a crude fighter he had utterly brilliant combination punching probably his problem was that he would easily get drawn into a brawl and was naturally a come forward aggressive fighter Patterson had a very good jab when he used it. Patterson also had very good power at heavyweight at light heavyweight he would have been a massive puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
                    But he was never a heavyweight, he was a cruiserweight.
                    He was a heavyweight in his time.

Patterson was one of the first well-known boxers to lift weights. This was done in order to build him into a heavyweight. In his 20's he was still coming into fights at 165-170 lbs.

Patterson at middleweight:

A year later as a heavyweight:

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                      He was a heavyweight in his time.

Patterson was one of the first well-known boxers to lift weights. This was done in order to build him into a heavyweight. In his 20's he was still coming into fights at 165-170 lbs.

Patterson at middleweight:

A year later as a heavyweight:

Patterson looked very good against Moore. Patterson has an underrated resume imo, wins over Archie Moore,Tommy Jackson, Roy Harris, Brian London, Ingemar Johansson, Eddie Machen, George Chuvalo, Henry Cooper, Bonavena, Jimmy Slade, Yvon Durelle, Archie McBride, and should have been given decisions over Maxim Ellis and Quarry.

Comment

Working...
                      X