Fighters who declined rapidly.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Roy jones by far,,,
    So: Roy Jones Jr was 35 years old and had a 15 years pro career behind him when he was dispatched by Tarver... ???

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
      it was rapid. i remember like it was yesterday, people including myself thought it was stupid to go up and fight ruiz for the heavyweight strap but he proved how special he was in that contest with speed and power; a SOLID 205ish for fight night. the next contest taking place at light heavy - having to lose almost 30lbs between fights at 35 ruined him.

he fell off a cliff.
      Nah, he didn't. It began years before. Fighting slow guys like Julio Gonzalez and Ruiz sort of concealed it.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
        Nah, he didn't. It began years before. Fighting slow guys like Julio Gonzalez and Ruiz sort of concealed it.
        I was at the Gonzalez fight, and I noticed that while Roy's punches were extremely fast, he wasn't throwing the blinding combinations he used to. He was mostly potshotting, very effectively of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
          I was at the Gonzalez fight, and I noticed that while Roy's punches were extremely fast, he wasn't throwing the blinding combinations he used to. He was mostly potshotting, very effectively of course.
          I think Roy started throwing one punch at a time in the Harmon fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Yeah you pop in a tape of him at 168 and then compare it to the guy who post Harding and you can see the difference. Jones was just that much better than everyone. But by the time he fought Woods you could see the end was near. Clinton Woods touching up Roy Jones? Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
              Yeah you pop in a tape of him at 168 and then compare it to the guy who post Harding and you can see the difference. Jones was just that much better than everyone. But by the time he fought Woods you could see the end was near. Clinton Woods touching up Roy Jones? Sheesh.
              I can definitely see a difference between the Jones that fought Brannon and the Jones that fought Woods.

It might just be me, but I think Tarver would have given '01-'02 Jones some problems.
              Last edited by VG_Addict; 10-29-2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
                I can definitely see a difference between the Jones that fought Brannon and the Jones that fought Woods.

It might just be me, but I think Tarver would have given '01-'02 Jones some problems.
                Without question. Tarver's style is a pain in the ass for any Jones.

Comment

Although it doesn't quite fit the athleticism part of your question (most have been mentioned), I'll chime in with Marvin Hagler.

Looked amazing in Hamsho II, demolished Tommy Hearns then went to war with John Mugabi who he would have easily outboxed two fights ago, then looked like the slowest man on the planet against Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by Barn View Post
                    Although it doesn't quite fit the athleticism part of your question (most have been mentioned), I'll chime in with Marvin Hagler.

Looked amazing in Hamsho II, demolished Tommy Hearns then went to war with John Mugabi who he would have easily outboxed two fights ago, then looked like the slowest man on the planet against Leonard.
                    I think the shots he took from hearns, even though hagler walked thru them and won, definitely took its toll on hagler and he was never the same

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                      Sam Peter was not a great fighter obviously, but he was considered an up and commer. Seems to me that after the second Toney fight he got really slow and more ponderous that before. Even though he isn't a great fighter, its interesting because heavyweights generally have more assets to stay a decline, i.e. they do not rely on speed and reflexes as much as the lower weight classes. You see guys fighting into their forties who can maintain their punching power, but Peter seems unable to do this.

BTW how about Prince naseem? didn't he hit a wall after Barrera?
                      The Wladimir fight ruined Peter IMO. He took some heavy, flush shots deep into that fight. That 12th round sapped some juice from him as well.

As for Hamed, yeah he declined but moreso because he lost his hunger, which led to bad training habits and a decline in performance.

Comment

Working...
                      X