No announcement yet.

Weed Vs. Alcohol for Boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alcohol is worse by far.

You would be amazed at the number of fighters, even world champions that indulge in the green.

When it's time to train and fight you put it aside.

I smoked and I fought.

One guy says that you wont be agressive if you smoke weed, that's pure ****. I get punched in the nose and I'm going to become very aggressive whether I smoke or not.

Like somebody said up there, a vaporizer would be best. The healing and calming affects of marijuana should not be banned in sports. It has not been proven that it's an enhancer of performance so whats the problem...........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Alcohol is worse by far.

You would be amazed at the number of fighters, even world champions that indulge in the green.

When it's time to train and fight you put it aside.

I smoked and I fought.

One guy says that you wont be agressive if you smoke weed, that's pure ****. I get punched in the nose and I'm going to become very aggressive whether I smoke or not.

Like somebody said up there, a vaporizer would be best. The healing and calming affects of marijuana should not be banned in sports. It has not been proven that it's an enhancer of performance so whats the problem...........Rockin'
      True.

If anything Weed would decrease your awareness and **** like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyman View Post
        wow im surprised more people think weed is "better" than alcohol for boxing....

i have since quit both, and used to smoke while i was training, and also used to drink liquor while i was training

imo, the thing about weed is that it affects stamina, aggresiveness, and focus in the ring...not to mention all the junk you prolly end up eating from the munchies. i used to be a laid back hippie type, smoking j's all the time...and when i was in the ring i was too laid back and didnt care as much as i should have...and far less aggresive and mean

alcohol in moderation is a LOT better than weed, i would say
        Alcohol makes me sick. Sick like I want to throw up. I would never put myself through the misery of drinking and doing anything other than waiting till I sober up.

Props to you, though, for being able to drink and train at the same time because I don't think I'd be able to do it.

I do agree that weed makes you less aggressive, but I think it makes you more focused on the activity you are doing and it can help you think of doing things in different ways.
        Last edited by the traveler; 05-12-2011, 01:29 AM.

Comment

i can understand some boxers finding success in the sport even while smoking weed...then you have the ones who could have had a more successful pro career but settled for short

Comment

Originally posted by the traveler View Post
            I do agree that weed makes you less aggressive, but I think it makes you more focused on the activity you are doing and it can help you think of doing things in different ways.
            Thats a good point, i used to to smoke weed a fair bit and nowadays I'll only have a smoke literally once every 2 months or so. When Im stoned I love watching and studying old fights from the Hagler/SRL/Duran/Hearns period, I get really into it analysing every aspect of the fight whereas I never do when Im sober.

Dont smoke anymore really but all this talk of weed has seriously made me tempted to ring up my old dealer, have a smoke and then take advantage of the nice weather lately and go for a long ass bike ride

EDIT: I personally stopped because I feel like it affects my training, especially the mental aspect of it.....some guys though, can smoke daily and handle it psychologically and perform in the ring just as they would if they werent smoking it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              Only time I've ever knocked anyone out in sparring was when I was high. I don't recommend smoking close to your gym sessions though, I found out it was giving me headaches.

Also, alcohol. It's not even a debate. When I drink alcohol, even just one 40, my legs hurt the next day. Every time. Feels like growing pains. Women do not weaken your legs. Alcohol does. After a long night out drinking, you're gonna feel like **** the next day whether you ****ed a girl or not.

Comment

I wouldnt reccommened either but i smoke weed every night but once i start thats it i aint moving for the rest of the night, i like a couple of joints just to wind down after a long day at work and a hard gym session. Havent noticed any ill effects but then mabey id be fitter if i didnt?
                I have a few beers every weekend and get pissed up proper like once every i dunno 5 weeks or something, i get bad hangovers now and feel like ***** for about 2 days so trainning and eating take a hit then

Comment

neither.

weed drops your reflexes.

alchohol is obvious.

Alchohol is worse but if your going to do either, you may as well not box at all. A casual drink isn't bad but drinking everyday, c'mon now.

Comment

Vapo-fukn-rizer

Comment

It depends on how you consume the weed if you cook with it or drink in a tea format.......................... your ****ing way better with weed. Your getting dumber everytime you get hit so it's no difference if your a mild user.

Comment

Working...
                      X