No announcement yet.

Did Showtime just "Ether" HBO?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Showtime just "Ether" HBO?

I believe so. Floyd vs Canelo is a MEGA matchup that will probably do 2 million PPV buys. Do you believe HBO would've thought a year and half ago this fight would end up anywhere other than HBO? This has to feel like a pie in the face moment at HBO. HBO has two good PPVs coming up in Oct and Nov but combined those fights won't do the numbers that the MEGA fight Showtime has put together will.

If you can logically explain how many new subscribers Showtime will get from buying the Mayweather-Alvarez PPV then possibly.

If not, then not at all. Business as usual.

Comment

I don't see 2 million PPV's for Floyd-Canelo.

I see something like 1.5-1.8 million if I had to guess.

Comment

More like " hit em up"

Comment

Originally posted by snoopymiller View Post
          If you can logically explain how many new subscribers Showtime will get from buying the Mayweather-Alvarez PPV then possibly.

If not, then not at all. Business as usual.
          Good point but business as usual when it comes to boxing the past 10 years, this fight would have been on HBO.

Comment

I think hbo would much rather have Floyd than PAC right now but doubt it's doing that much damage to them. Good for sho tho. Anyone think the undercard will have no effect on the ppv numbers? I think they could have spadafora on there and it wouldn't even make a difference

Comment

Floyd's move will probably have a more ceremonial impact than a real one in terms of network profits, but the ceremonial aspect could really cost HBO in the long run. With Floyd leaving and signing such a lucrative contract HBO no longer looks like it's the only network with deep pockets, other fighters will come and bring their fans with them. HBO worked a long time to build a stellar reputation, their mistake maybe was to hitch to much of their cart to Floyd, who's naturally out for himself.

I think it's more about politics on Floyd's level because he's going to make a lot of money no matter what, it's up to Showtime/CBS to find ways of making money off of the guy.

Comment

I should've been more clear, of course it doesn't effect HBO overall as a network, HBO will always be top dog. I'm talking Showtime boxing vs HBO boxing, we are talking about boxing fights on a boxing site. I don't care who shows the better movies.

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                  I think hbo would much rather have Floyd than PAC right now but doubt it's doing that much damage to them. Good for sho tho. Anyone think the undercard will have no effect on the ppv numbers? I think they could have spadafora on there and it wouldn't even make a difference
                  Probably won't make a difference, but that's a fantastic idea. Put Spadafora on the undercard and winner of Mayweather/Alvarez gets a shot at Paul. That fight would be bigger than Pac/May would have been when it was hot. Prob 3.5mil PPV buys.

Comment

Yall know they SHO is in the Red right?

Comment

Working...
                    X