No announcement yet.

I have no sympathy for Juan Manuel Lopez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no sympathy for Juan Manuel Lopez

One of the top prospects to come out of P.R, Juan Manuel Lopez had all the tools that he needed to become a star. He had good reflex, great counter punching, and amazing power with a really good defense. He went to become the champ by KTFO a prime Daniel Ponce De Leon in the 1st round following wins against Gerry Penalosa, Steven Lueveano, Bernabe Concepcion, and the GREAT Rafael Marquez.

During the Penalosa fight, You start seeing a well polish fighter become more eagerly to attack and KO his opponent. Completely forgetting his craft and falling in love with his right hook. The Mtaga fight was proof of how Juan Manuel lopez forgot what tools got him to the top of the Super Bantamweight division by almost losing to a journeyman.

He continued his fights with the same gameplan, The right hook. He then met a guy that he was "suppose" to beat in Orlando Salido, A guy who was ready for the right hook since the 1st round. Everything that Lopez was about, shatters in round 5 of the first fight. He then goes to to get KO'd in the 8th round of that fight and again in the rematch. Ever since, He has become a bum with no punch resistance and forgotten skills.

You know why I have no sympathy for Lopez? His arrogance. The fact he thought he was invincible with that right hook took him to a reality check quite a few times and the fact that he doesn't acknowledge or respect the opponents that has hurt him or KO'd gets me even more angry as a former fan of his. Blaming referees and blaming his Ex Wife about the way his career has become is a sign of an arrogance, delusional, c0cky human being.

I hope he retires because there isn't anybody else who would fall from his right hook and because his health is in danger if he keeps getting punish.

Stopped reading at ''really good defense''

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
      Stopped reading at ''really good defense''
      If you would have followed his early career as I did, maybe you would have kept reading.

Comment

Excellent post. As a big Juanma fan, I don't want to share the same sentiments BUT I sadly have to agree.

Unfortunately, he's past the point of no return. He has taken permanent damage. Even if he got a new trainer, he doesn't have the faculties anymore. His reflexes are gone, his timing is gone, his reasoning doesn't exist...

HOWEVER, I love Juanma. He is a true warrior, I can't help but going crazy when he gets hurt and turns on savage mode trying to survive by fighting back. I will ALWAYS support him hard even when I realize he should hang them up. WAR JUANMA for life!!!

I love him as a fighter and as a person. I've had the opportunity to meet him twice and he is such a down to earth likeable guy. I have taken like 4 selfies with him, even on the same day when I didn't like the way I looked in one of the photos.

Comment

A few years back I honestly thought he was gonna be the next superstar in boxing and be unbeaten for years. Looks like he lost his focus. Real shame. He had so much potential

Comment

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
            If you would have followed his early career as I did, maybe you would have kept reading.

What is to say I never? He never had any defense or a chin at all or the skills often outlined. The guy was always a K.O waiting too happen.

Hyped too death because of his power.

Comment

JuanMa had great defense early on in his career. At some point he just fell in love with his power and his defense went out the window.

Comment

One of the top prospects to come out of P.R, Juan Manuel Lopez had all the tools that he needed to become a star. He had good reflex, great counter punching, and amazing power with a really good defense. He went to become the champ by KTFO a prime Daniel Ponce De Leon in the 1st round following wins against Gerry Penalosa, Steven Lueveano, Bernabe Concepcion, and the GREAT Rafael Marquez.

During the Penalosa fight, You start seeing a well polish fighter become more eagerly to attack and KO his opponent. Completely forgetting his craft and falling in love with his right hook. The Mtaga fight was proof of how Juan Manuel lopez forgot what tools got him to the top of the Super Bantamweight division by almost losing to a journeyman.

He continued his fights with the same gameplan, The right hook. He then met a guy that he was "suppose" to beat in Orlando Salido, A guy who was ready for the right hook since the 1st round. Everything that Lopez was about, shatters in round 5 of the first fight. He then goes to to get KO'd in the 8th round of that fight and again in the rematch. Ever since, He has become a bum with no punch resistance and forgotten skills.

You know why I have no sympathy for Lopez? His arrogance. The fact he thought he was invincible with that right hook took him to a reality check quite a few times and the fact that he doesn't acknowledge or respect the opponents that has hurt him or KO'd gets me even more angry as a former fan of his. Blaming referees and blaming his Ex Wife about the way his career has become is a sign of an arrogance, delusional, c0cky human being.

I hope he retires because there isn't anybody else who would fall from his right hook and because his health is in danger if he keeps getting punish.
                I don't agree with most of this. He is/was arrogant in the way he approached the sport and I didn't like his tirade after the first Salido fight and loss. In that we agree, but in my time as a trainer, a fighter is what he is.

You can't turn a brawler into a boxer, and that's what Lopez is, a skilled brawler. He can box, but he loves contract, and knows that his power is his key.

Lopez biggest flaw is his chin, he fights like a guy with an iron chin and doesn't have one. Now of course people would tell him to box more, but it's his power and KO's that got him the recognition it did in the first place.

If he fights Ponce De Leon, I think each man wins 5 out of 10 because of styles and power. With Salido, he was wore down by a pressure fighter that can take better than he can.

I just feel like this notion that Lopez abandoned this great boxing he had is not entirely correct. He was a boxer puncher, but was a KO artist who's power propelled him to the top of the boxing world. In the end though, Salido really did damage to him and he was never the same fighter.

No shame in that as Salido is monster who's been in there with legends and is about as durable as an iron donkey.

Comment

Boxers do not start fighting for your sympathy...this is a lonely sport

Comment

What are all these words bro?

(had to sport my new floyd "didn't read" pic.)

Comment

Working...
                    X