No announcement yet.

Southpaw or orthodox for my son

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southpaw or orthodox for my son

So my 7 year old has a huge intrest in boxing and wants to do it while wrestling is on hold.
    So my problem is he is right handed but in baseball swings left handed. So his power seems to come from being in the southpaw stance but throws with the righ hand so its a bit dominant in that aspect. Ive had doing mits from both sides he seems to hit as hard from both sides but from the orthodox position his left hook is solid as is his straight right or straight left from the southpaw. Any tips on which side to chose i wanna get him going on onse side and get him developed in it and then work on his other side . Any ideas or thoughts?
    Last edited by twrx; 07-01-2016, 04:18 PM.

Originally posted by twrx View Post
    So my 7 year old has a huge intrest in boxing and wants to do it while wrestling is on hold.
    So my problem is he is right handed but in baseball swings left handed. So his power seems to come from being in the unorthodox stance but throws with the righ hand so its a bit dominant in that aspect. Ive had doing mits from both sides he seems to hit as hard from both sides but from the orthodox position his left hook is solid as is his straight right or straight left from the southpaw. Any tips on which side to chose i wanna get him going on onse side and get him developed in it and then work on his other side . Any ideas or thoughts?
    Southpaw first. That would definitely make him a tricky fighter especially if he can switch hit like Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
      Southpaw first. That would definitely make him a tricky fighter especially if he can switch hit like Hagler.
      this will only hinder him if he does not have a true southpaw trainer. Depending on how serious your son is about boxing it difficult to find a true southpaw trainer (a southpaw himself) so unless your son is left dominate I wouldnt confuse things. There a reason why there a lot more orthodox fighters than southpaw and its because of trainers

Comment

Originally posted by kilojay505 View Post
        this will only hinder him if he does not have a true southpaw trainer. Depending on how serious your son is about boxing it difficult to find a true southpaw trainer (a southpaw himself) so unless your son is left dominate I wouldnt confuse things. There a reason why there a lot more orthodox fighters than southpaw and its because of trainers
        You don't need a southpaw trainer to learn southpaw stance. You just need a trainer who has enough experience to train a southpaw. Once a fighter gets comfortable in the orthodox stance it can be harder to switch to southpaw rather than vice versa.

Comment

We have been doing it at home for a couple months but he wants to actually compete. Took him to a pal boxing club and there where no southpaws in the gym ill probably look at other gyms and see if any trainers are southpaw. Ive had him choose the side he feels comfortable he always switches feom one to the other. Im wondering if hes similar to ODLH hes a lefty but boxes orthodox

Comment

Use both stances for now and see how his balance is from both sides. It's not about power at his age it's about balance.
            Your boy has bones being developed so DO NOT put him through any exercises that are strenuous, no running & jumping his long bones are growing and all the cells needed for strength on not available during this grow rate!
            Seven is very young for an athletic endeavor, pads and technique are ok but don't let him have contact.
            I was a Junior Olympic Regional coach for many years, I taught at the Olympic Training Center in Colo. Springs and seven years is to young!
            You can have him shadowing, and working in the mirrors, hand techniques offensively and defensively, slipping and countering.
            When he is 12 years old the J.O. program can offer a good boxing outlet for him. Be careful who handles your boy and how he is handled.
            You protect your son in all endeavors don't let anyone tell you a boy needs to be a man, thats BS!
            Balance is the first technique learned!
            Ray Corso

Comment

Originally posted by twrx View Post
              So my problem is he is right handed but in baseball swings left handed. So his power seems to come from being in the southpaw stance but throws with the righ hand so its a bit dominant in that aspect. Ive had doing mits from both sides he seems to hit as hard from both sides but from the orthodox position his left hook is solid as is his straight right or straight left from the southpaw. Any tips on which side to chose i wanna get him going on onse side and get him developed in it and then work on his other side . Any ideas or thoughts?
              well if he's actually as good with both hands like you say then pick southpaw. it will give him the advantage

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.DagoWop View Post
                You don't need a southpaw trainer to learn southpaw stance. You just need a trainer who has enough experience to train a southpaw. Once a fighter gets comfortable in the orthodox stance it can be harder to switch to southpaw rather than vice versa.
                he has a point though, fighting as a southpaw is a different game. boxing is really lacking good trainers these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Use both stances for now and see how his balance is from both sides. It's not about power at his age it's about balance.
                  Your boy has bones being developed so DO NOT put him through any exercises that are strenuous, no running & jumping his long bones are growing and all the cells needed for strength on not available during this grow rate!
                  Seven is very young for an athletic endeavor, pads and technique are ok but don't let him have contact.
                  I was a Junior Olympic Regional coach for many years, I taught at the Olympic Training Center in Colo. Springs and seven years is to young!
                  You can have him shadowing, and working in the mirrors, hand techniques offensively and defensively, slipping and countering.
                  When he is 12 years old the J.O. program can offer a good boxing outlet for him. Be careful who handles your boy and how he is handled.
                  You protect your son in all endeavors don't let anyone tell you a boy needs to be a man, thats BS!
                  Balance is the first technique learned!
                  Ray Corso
                  He's the one insisting on contact. Hes been wrestling since he was 3 and has had about 150 matches and loves hitting some aspect of it but ill be sure to keep him off of it for the first year or so . As with his wrestling coaches ill be picky. I really want him to be technical first and power last. he had a couple kids bully him and finally stood uo for himself cracked a couple of them hard enough to knock baby teeth out a proud nost so proud moment. Since then he has had a love for boxing .I want him to learn respect more than anything out of this and that boxing

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    well if he's actually as good with both hands like you say then pick southpaw. it will give him the advantage
                    He has a little better flow when southpaw when we do mit work its a bit cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                    X