Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What muscles are MOST important for punching power?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just look at the exercises that fat p.o.s. steriod trainer did for Marquez. Those weight training for shoulders using heavy weights with lots of quick reps!
    They showed that dumbell exercise and 24/7 and Marquez was beasting, and you knew Pacquiao was gonna be f***** lmao

Comment

Originally posted by JaYDeuce11 View Post
      Just look at the exercises that fat p.o.s. steriod trainer did for Marquez. Those weight training for shoulders using heavy weights with lots of quick reps!
      They showed that dumbell exercise and 24/7 and Marquez was beasting, and you knew Pacquiao was gonna be f***** lmao

Comment

It comes from you flux capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
          So strengthening the muscles that help you punch hard, won't help at all???

Get outta here with your 1930's logic.
          1930's? Do I come across as old to you? Interesting. Well if 31 is old to you so be it. If we were face to face I'd even welcome you to try to prove it.

I clearly went over your head. Balance in all things. No one muscle should be focused on to the exclusion of all else. It seems counterintuitive but trying to get tree trunk thick arms or a massive torso before everything else is ultimately going to be counterproductive. Train hard to make your body able to perform your mind/will's vision. But, technique and intent is paramount if you want power.

Or you can just follow the bradley or lacey formula and see where it gets you.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
            Power aint from muscles. You see guys all the time that are stacked but can't throw a power punch worth anything. Its all arm punches. Power comes from your body and how you have it positioned, how you torque it when u throw, and what root u can establish or momentum you can generate. Too much muscles can actually impede that process.

Martial art concept says powers starts from your intent, drawn through your root, and courses through your entire body to culminate in your fist. The more natural the movement the better.

Boxing concept says you either have it or you don't.

But There you go.
            Well said, as a martial artist I would agree with this

Comment

It actually pisses me off how little people seem to know on this forum. It's not '1930s logic' to say that training for raw power won't do much to your knockout chances. Punching power (ie ignoring factors such as surprise factor) only has to do with muscles in so far as training fast twitch muscle fibres makes you quicker. Even then, one is not going to get that much faster by doing power training - the speed comes more from being relaxed, being naturally fast and crucially muscle memory. More important than speed, however, is technique. This means getting your bodyweight into punches and actually punching through rather than at your opponent. It's very simple really - power (ie strength x speed in weightlifting terms) won't make you punch harder for the most part. It's simple physics - let me explain. Knock-outs occur when the cranium accelerates and causes the brain to move within the skull. This acceleration is faster when punches land in the right place ie on this chin because the moment created is greater as this chin is furthest from the axis of rotation. More importantly, the acceleration is fastest when momentum is highest. Momentum is mass x velocity. In this equation, the mass comes from technique - actual weight can be ignored as people fight others who are at or around their weight. The velocity is largely natural. You can increase it through training a bit but it won't increase that much, and in fact shadow-boxing will help way more in this regard than power training as a result of its effect on muscle memory. Also, singly punch speed doesn't vary that much between people for the most part - it's combination speed that varies mostly. This means technique is the single most important factor. A final point to be added is that the surprise factor is crucial. People automatically slow the acceleration of the cranium when they get punched if they can anticipate it because they involuntarily tense their neck muscles. If you don't see it, however, you won't tense the muscles and the head will move more quickly. This is why people who don't telegraph punches and are fast often seem to knock people out with punches that don't always seem that hard.

This simple physics explains punching power. It amazed me how people are so ignorant of these laws in boxing - these laws can't just be violated. Muscles aren't going to improve your power significantly - technique is. I mean come on, how many guys do you thing were stronger than Hearns in almost every muscle group? The answer is a lot - but none of them could punch as hard as him. The reason most power-lifters couldn't punch for **** is is that they don't have the technique.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                Kegel Muscles
                Something told me you like to beat *****es with your schlong.

Comment

Originally posted by Syf View Post
                  1930's? Do I come across as old to you? Interesting. Well if 31 is old to you so be it. If we were face to face I'd even welcome you to try to prove it.

I clearly went over your head. Balance in all things. No one muscle should be focused on to the exclusion of all else. It seems counterintuitive but trying to get tree trunk thick arms or a massive torso before everything else is ultimately going to be counterproductive. Train hard to make your body able to perform your mind/will's vision. But, technique and intent is paramount if you want power.

Or you can just follow the bradley or lacey formula and see where it gets you.
                  I wasn't saying you were old. I was calling your logic out dated. Yes, we all know that technique is the key, but they way you were saying it, seemed like something a 1930's trainer would say.

Times have changed. We now know so much more about our bodies, and sports specific exercises/workouts.

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
                    It actually pisses me off how little people seem to know on this forum. It's not '1930s logic' to say that training for raw power won't do much to your knockout chances. Punching power (ie ignoring factors such as surprise factor) only has to do with muscles in so far as training fast twitch muscle fibres makes you quicker. Even then, one is not going to get that much faster by doing power training - the speed comes more from being relaxed, being naturally fast and crucially muscle memory. More important than speed, however, is technique. This means getting your bodyweight into punches and actually punching through rather than at your opponent. It's very simple really - power (ie strength x speed in weightlifting terms) won't make you punch harder for the most part. It's simple physics - let me explain. Knock-outs occur when the cranium accelerates and causes the brain to move within the skull. This acceleration is faster when punches land in the right place ie on this chin because the moment created is greater as this chin is furthest from the axis of rotation. More importantly, the acceleration is fastest when momentum is highest. Momentum is mass x velocity. In this equation, the mass comes from technique - actual weight can be ignored as people fight others who are at or around their weight. The velocity is largely natural. You can increase it through training a bit but it won't increase that much, and in fact shadow-boxing will help way more in this regard than power training as a result of its effect on muscle memory. Also, singly punch speed doesn't vary that much between people for the most part - it's combination speed that varies mostly. This means technique is the single most important factor. A final point to be added is that the surprise factor is crucial. People automatically slow the acceleration of the cranium when they get punched if they can anticipate it because they involuntarily tense their neck muscles. If you don't see it, however, you won't tense the muscles and the head will move more quickly. This is why people who don't telegraph punches and are fast often seem to knock people out with punches that don't always seem that hard.

This simple physics explains punching power. It amazed me how people are so ignorant of these laws in boxing - these laws can't just be violated. Muscles aren't going to improve your power significantly - technique is. I mean come on, how many guys do you thing were stronger than Hearns in almost every muscle group? The answer is a lot - but none of them could punch as hard as him. The reason most power-lifters couldn't punch for **** is is that they don't have the technique.

It is indeed technique. Its also specialilization, i.e. knowing what strengths and weaknesses different techniques of punching have. Using a bare hand one can take advantage of concentrating the force....for example, after years of training I can hit you with one knuckle extended, hence concentrating the force on a smaller part of the body and increasing power. However if I put on gloves a lot of this delivery becomes virtually useless.

Univerally applicable characteristics of a good punch include:

a) Not telegraphing (as explained by this poster)

b) A straight delivery....Hooks and other circular punches are powerful but the shortest distance is usually where you want to deliver your punch

c) Relaxed movement of the arms and hand (I don't clench until almost at the target)

d) relaxed body, power up from the ground

e) proper body alingnment....If you can do a push up on the hand and the hand lines up to the elbow, the elbow to the shoulder and the shoulder to the spine and you follow that line your punch can sustain concussive delivery to the target with proper alignment.

As the other poster said: in the martial arts we believe that good punchers are trained while in boxing they are believed to be a product of ability.

Speaking of which I heard that the heavyweight Mike Weaver got his relatively late start in boxing when he was in the army got into a fight and decked a guy....later found out that the guy he decked was the heavy weight champ!

Comment

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post

Ummmmmm......no **** Sherlock. No one's disputing these claims. The OP simply asked what muscles should you train to hit harder, or something like that.

We posted the muscles that get used in the punching motion. That is all.

No one said, "don't bother training on your form, technique, or anything other than lifting weights, and doing plyometrics. Practicing your craft won't help at all."

We merely answered the damn question.

You act like mastering your technique on top of doing certain exercises wouldn't benefit at all.

In summary, CALM DOWN BRO.

We didn't need a novel on why you think you're smart.

Comment

Working...
                      X