No announcement yet.

Prime RJJ's toughest fight.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
    If he went on to win the first fight people would've said he struggled with someone he shouldn't have (even though Griffin was an excellent fighter in his prime).

But the mystery left behind by the disappointing outcome made the rematch so interesting. Some people thought he was overrated and that Griffin had exposed him. Others thought he'd come back to win. But no one expected a first round shellacking. Good point though.
    To this day I believe Griffin faked his way into a DQ win. His acting wasn't convincing to me at all and I was very pleased to see him blasted out in the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      Would you pick him against Kovalev or Stevenson?
      He'd cause Kovalev all kinds of problems but ultimately gets stopped.

Stevenson, I would pick Griffin to win for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
        We all know that RJJ in his prime beat fighters with ease. But what would you say was his toughest fight then?
        I think his toughest fight was with his father. He struggled with a lot of pain, sadness & frustration.

We each have our own particular battles in life.

DLH, Floyd jr, Shane, have all had issues with their dads.

But in the ring, it is hard to say. I think pride, contributed to Tarver getting to him. But it can happen to any man. You keep fighting long enough, and your buster Douglas will show up. And will Korn you the battle with the ego, believing your own hype, that is the battle to focus on.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
          To this day I believe Griffin faked his way into a DQ win. His acting wasn't convincing to me at all and I was very pleased to see him blasted out in the rematch.
          You think so? Yea he did kinda look at the ref like "Hey, look what he did!" and then the next second he was out like a light. Thought it was delayed reaction but one thing's for sure: Jones didn't believe it was legit and he took it out on him in the rematch lol

Comment

You think so? Yea he did kinda look at the ref like "Hey, look what he did!" and then the next second he was out like a light. Thought it was delayed reaction but one thing's for sure: Jones didn't believe it was legit and he took it out on him in the rematch lol
            I think Jones was so frustrated in that first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              I think so as well. Griffin -- with his brilliant trainer Eddie Futch -- had a really good gameplan. Griffin did appear to be slowing down a bit and Jones coming on but it could have been real interesting if the DQ didn't occur and the fight went on. Then again, Jones would've had a knockdown in that round and a clear path to a UD.

Comment

I think so as well. Griffin -- with his brilliant trainer Eddie Futch -- had a really good gameplan. Griffin did appear to be slowing down a bit and Jones coming on but it could have been real interesting if the DQ didn't occur and the fight went on. Then again, Jones would've had a knockdown in that round and a clear path to a UD.
                Futch was one of the greatest trainers ever.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Definitely the worst Jones ever looked in a fight while still in his prime. The fact that he came back in the rematch and won in the moat definitive way possible almost makes me forget the first fight.

Comment

Stupid question; Prime Jones avoided all the toughest fights.

Comment

I agree his toughest fight was his daddy. Daddys usually do not work out for the full career. Benitez had his prblems too. One case where it appears to have worked out okay for the full distance was with the Trinidads. Good for them.

Comment

Working...
                      X