Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Much does it cost to build and run a website like this??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
    If you notice, almost all forums (cars, sports, etc) use pretty much the same software. You won't have to build the forum posting tool.

As far as visitors and valuation, here:

Site Information for boxingscene.com
    Get Details
    Alexa Traffic Rank: 15,111 United States Flag Traffic Rank in US: 5,745
    link-icon Sites Linking In: 1,825

You can get web analytics from Alexa.com, as well as several other sites.

If you PM me, I can show you how to do a valuation... or send you a model. But there are (somewhat inaccurate) sites like WebWorth that will do the valuation for you:

http://www.webworth.info/test-viewli...scene.com.html
    Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
    In this era of social media, and SEO, you can boost the value of your website pretty quickly if you are willing to work.

A good place to start is by creating a facebook page. facebook has pretty good analytics, and that will serve as your foray into understanding site demographics, virality, etc.

Feel free to PM me.
    Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Double_L View Post
      There are several things you need:

1. Domain Registration - Register your site domain name, i.e. www.mysite.com. GoDaddy is the most popular option, and it's very cheap. I have a domain from them which costs me $12 a year.

2. Web Host - Place that will store all your files (html, pictures, javascript etc). There are several types of hosts, the cheapest and most common is shared servers, where your stuff is stored along with many other people's stuff on some server somewhere. There are dedicated servers which are better but are also exponentially more expensive... this is for larger scale sites. There are many hosts that claim to have unlimited bandwidth but this is kind of a lie... if you site takes up a huge chunk of bandwidth most hosts will penalize you somehow. Do some research on hosts because this is the most important step.

3. Forum software - I don't deal with forum stuff too often but there are definitely free options out there. BScene uses vBulletin which just taking a quick glance at their site costs $250 for one license. I believe it will handle all the backend stuff like creating and managing user accounts so you don't have to know much if any programming.

For designing a homepage or whatnot there are tons of nice-looking templates you can use for free which pretty much do all the work for you. So you might need to know a little bit of HTML/CSS programming knowledge but templates make it super easy.
      Thanks man now im not that lost lol

Comment

Vbulletin is fairly easy to maintain, once you have it up and running. Very little coding involved in it.

If you run a vbulletin forum, I would recommend hosting it with urljet. It costs a little more, but it's well worth it. They install your forum for free. They will also install any vbulletin plugin/add on for you. Never any down time. Just an all around great host.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm View Post
          Vbulletin is fairly easy to maintain, once you have it up and running. Very little coding involved in it.

If you run a vbulletin forum, I would recommend hosting it with urljet. It costs a little more, but it's well worth it. They install your forum for free. They will also install any vbulletin plugin/add on for you. Never any down time. Just an all around great host.
          Thanks man

Comment

Working...
          X