Collapse
No announcement yet.

Larry Holmes Jab

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I understand, Larry hurt his right hand against Roy Williams (W 10) on Apr. 30, 1976.

So, for a long period, he could only use his left in training. Which turned it to a monster jab.
    He wasn’t back in the ring until Jan. the next year.

Comment

The key to Holmes jab was that he never abandoned it.. Even when hurt or Eating bombs, he would still get right back behind the jab

Comment

I think Holmes definitely had a great jab. One of the greatest ever.

Even against Norton, who was also a great fighter and beat Ali once or twice - He still stuck to his jab and made it work and tweaked out the win. What I like about Holmes' jab was that even fighting on the back foot he could double or triple it with snap and speed. Not many heavyweights can do that - I haven't seen anyone other than Ali do it to the same effect as Holmes.

Precise, quick and with snap.

But I have always been more fan of the ramrod, telephone pole jab ala Liston, Foreman or Bowe. They had great jabs in my opinion.

Foreman's jab was like any other man's straight right. When it landed right in the face (and he had such big hands that it covered the whole of his opponents face) ,it was usually more than enough to get them doing a silly dance.

Comment

There were times when Holmes would throw meaningless, flicking jabs. This was usually when he was trying to dance like Ali. He threw the jab with great variety. Often he stepped in with it and it was like a power shot in itself. Almost every heavyweight champion could trade their jab in for Larry's with positive results. The only thing it lacked was the speed of Ali, but it was definitely more powerful.

Comment

Good jab, but Holmes is overrated in general. He ducked plenty of guys during his time too. He suffered from the Renaldo Snipes knockdown, oftentimes fought fearful after that.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
              Good jab, but Holmes is overrated in general. He ducked plenty of guys during his time too. He suffered from the Renaldo Snipes knockdown, oftentimes fought fearful after that.
              Do elaborate on who you believe Larry "ducked". Unless you genuinely believe Mr. Holmes was an amphibious aquatic bird.

Comment

Originally posted by LETSGGGO View Post
                Do elaborate on who you believe Larry "ducked". Unless you genuinely believe Mr. Holmes was an amphibious aquatic bird.
                Greg Page, Pinky Thomas, Michael Dokes, Tony Tubbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                  Yes, I actually like his jab moreso than Ali's which was more rapier like.. Holmes had a longsword type jab.. My favorite heavyweight jabber is still Louis, though.. I like power jabbers.. Even Buster Douglas though not really an ATG had a most impressive jab..
                  lol that night Douglas beat Tyson I remember thinking that his jab was outstanding. It looked like a combo of Ali and Holme's jab because at times he threw it without reaching and at other times like Ali did he threw it from the front foot while leaning towards Tyson. I like your fencing language because the jab was evolved from sword technique....why? because when people are facing each other down with large razor blades telling them to "get right in there are mix it up" is nooooot very appealling! Much more prefarable is to find a lead cut to work oneself in withour committing to the attack.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                    There were times when Holmes would throw meaningless, flicking jabs. This was usually when he was trying to dance like Ali. He threw the jab with great variety. Often he stepped in with it and it was like a power shot in itself. Almost every heavyweight champion could trade their jab in for Larry's with positive results. The only thing it lacked was the speed of Ali, but it was definitely more powerful.
                    That approach is a strategy, one sees it a lot with Mexican fighters. You change speeds and intensity on the opponent so they cannot respond to the attack properly. With mexican fighters often the hook is used as a prelude and thrown slower at first to get a reaction then when doubled up the timing changes.
                    With the Jab this works because a snapping punch is very different to respond to than a hard telephone pole type strike. A good analogy would be a fastball pitcher throwing a change up, a slower pitch deliberately to keep the hitter on their toes.

Comment

Originally posted by -Weltschmerz- View Post
                      Greg Page, Pinky Thomas, Michael Dokes, Tony Tubbs.
                      Not to mention that Tim Witherspoon deserved a rematch with Holmes.

Comment

Working...
                      X