Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Should Floyd Face the Best of 154, 160?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Fighting Words: Should Floyd Face the Best of 154, 160?

by David P. Greisman - There are fans of boxers, and then there are fans of boxing. These are not mutually exclusive. Nevertheless:

Fans of Floyd Mayweather will cite these numbers as signs of his superiority in the ring and his significance to the sport’s business: 44 wins and zero losses; world titles in five divisions and lineal championships in three weight classes; victories over 18 men who held world titles at the time or had once been titleholders or would later go on to win belts of their own; a minimum payday of $32 million for his last appearance; pay-per-view buy rates coming in at more than 1 million per broadcast; ticket sales that near and often surpass $10 million for a single night.

Those who are not necessarily fans of the fighter but follow him because of his skills and his status will acknowledge all of the above, yet expect even more.

They will point to the odds that showed Mayweather as the clear favorite to vanquish his most recent opponent, Robert Guerrero. They will look at the rankings in the welterweight and junior welterweight divisions, at the potential challengers he could face, and they will write these men off as being unlikely or unable to beat the best boxer in the sport. [Click Here To Read More]

good article. Its like I say, he gets penalyzed for being too good. All these guys from 140-147 can fight eachother and they are pretty much all great must see fights. If Floyd fights him then the fight sucks and he's a cherry picker.

He's only allowed to fight guys at 154-160 who are way bigger than him in the ring and naturally. Not only that but he wont get any extra credit for doing it. Its mandatory that he fights Canelo. Its just an average fight and a fight he should take or he's a coward.

You cant have that. It has to be fair. If you want him to fight them then fine but you better be ready to bow down and give mad credit if he wins because its extroidanary for him to beat a very good fighter who is nearly 25 pounds bigger than him that night and more than that natrually. Thats not a regular fight no matter how anyone wants to spin it
    Last edited by DLT; 05-13-2013, 01:31 AM.

Comment

160? Absolutely not

154? Absolutely, so as long as he holds a title there and is ranked #1

Comment

160, no. 154, yes.

/thread

Comment

I think he fights Sergio before Lara. I honestly think Sergio is his for the taking right now. If he really wanted to make a statement he'd sucker Sergio in for that 160 belt since I believe Sergio is no more then 2 more fights away from losing it. That age is finally catching up to him.

If he doesnt, I think Quillen or GGG will take it. Not because I think they'd beat him prime for prime, Sergio just seems to have lost his flare.

Comment

Originally posted by thuggery View Post
            160? Absolutely not

154? Absolutely, so as long as he holds a title there and is ranked #1
            why do peoople always say this? Again, who cares about the title? Floyd has passed the level of titles a long time ago. Unless its about winning a fight at MW, then the titles dont matter to Floyd. Even the most die hard fan would say "fine, strip him then".

Thats not even an argument so why do people keep brining it up. He's the #1 P4P fighter in the sport and the biggest money maker. That means he's bigger than the title. He doesnt care about getting stripped because whenever he wants to fight at 154 again, he can go straight for a title because any of the champs will want to fight him

Comment

yup, 154 yes, 160 no.

Well maybe he could take enroll in The Manny Pacquiao School for Boxers Who Can't Fight Good at Regular Weights and Want to Do Other Stuff Good Too and fight for a 160 belt at a 155 CW.

Comment

Originally posted by DLT View Post
                why do peoople always say this? Again, who cares about the title? Floyd has passed the level of titles a long time ago. Unless its about winning a fight at MW, then the titles dont matter to Floyd. Even the most die hard fan would say "fine, strip him then".

Thats not even an argument so why do people keep brining it up. He's the #1 P4P fighter in the sport and the biggest money maker. That means he's bigger than the title. He doesnt care about getting stripped because whenever he wants to fight at 154 again, he can go straight for a title because any of the champs will want to fight him
                Same reason why people defend him for fighting Baldomir for the TITLE, instead of fighting Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by BUNGALOWS View Post
                  Same reason why people defend him for fighting Baldomir for the TITLE, instead of fighting Margarito.
                  and what did I say? Its not the same guy. He's not the same guy who fought Baldy. This isnt the pre Oscar version. He's much bigger than a title now.

Comment

he should be fightin all those guys at catch-weights. i dont know what hes scared of, he would beat all of them easily if he jus drained them a little bit like canelo for example bring him down to 151 and floyd would rain straight right hands and left hooks for days on him maybe even stop him because canelo wont have the same chin and strength the same with sergio and GGG.

Comment

Working...
                    X