Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is Ray Robinson considered the greatest?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PAC-BOY View Post
    He fought 5 times in one month in four different countries! He went all out ever fight and would fight anyone any time anywhere. As for his fighting style...thats a whole different story. he was a great tech in that ring...solid. He had power and could box well. He was not one of the greats but THE greatest that ever climbed into a ring!
    He ducked Charley Burley like a little pussiole.

Comment

Beside his impeccable record at welterweight before he retired, and him winning the middleweight title 5 times after his prime. The two greatest heavyweights champions of all time Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis say that Ray Robinson is the greatest fighter of all time it has to be true!

Comment

he is no doubt the greatest

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
          he is no doubt the greatest
          I haven't seen many of his fights but there are many people who do think he was the greatest boxer ever. But, then again some do not. Its kinda hard to say who was the absolute best because there were so many different types of fighters over the years.

I'd have to say it's largely a matter of opinion. Do you like the slick boxer? Do you like the vicious brawler? Do you like a boxer to be well-rounded or stick soley with a particular style that suits them. Also, do you prefer 3 time-champions? Do you prefer champs who hop to higher weight classes to obtain titles? Do you prefer champs who retired unbeaten? Do you prefer champs who had the ability to gain titles at old/young ages? Do you prefer champs who fought in a strong era with tremendous competition?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
            He ducked Charley Burley like a little pussiole.
            We've got ourselves a wikipedia warrior here.

Comment

SRR could be hurt and certain styles gave him a world of trouble. Randy Turpin. show SRR a beautiful, sharp, accurate jab and u ll give him hell. Turpin did just that and almost beat SRR twice.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                We've got ourselves a wikipedia warrior here.
                Robinson was too pretty to fight Charley Burley.

He was also too greedy.

Do you think Robinson didn't duck Burley?

I would add my insult was a little exaggerated.
                Last edited by Barn; 08-03-2012, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                  Robinson was too pretty to fight Charley Burley.

He was also too greedy.

Do you think Robinson didn't duck Burley?

I would add my insult was a little exaggerated.
                  I honestly didn't know much about him (other than hearing his name a few times) until you posted that. It appears that a lot of fighters "ducked" him. Poor guy never got a title shot.

Comment

Originally posted by ABOSWORTH View Post
                    I honestly didn't know much about him (other than hearing his name a few times) until you posted that. It appears that a lot of fighters "ducked" him. Poor guy never got a title shot.
                    Yes it was a shame.

Robinson was offered a sum to fight an opponent or something like that, upon hearing it was Burley he doubled what he wanted for his purse, I think they were trying to get them to fight around '42.

He said things like "I am too pretty to fight him."

It would have been a great resume booster as Burley is held in very high regard.

Burley took it all in his stride though and remained classy.

Ray ducked me. George Gainford (Ray's manager) admitted that much. But, I can't say I blame him. There wasn't no money in us fighting each other. All we would have done is knock each other off.

You wanna know the truth? If I coulda' got my shot, I wouldn't have risked it fighting someone like Ray.

Comment

He also had an undefeated amateur record. 85-0 with 69 KOs I believe. I cannot think of any fighters who had an undefeated amateur career off the top of my head. It's a shame he never got to fight in the olympics as he would've surely won gold.

Comment

Working...
                      X