Collapse
No announcement yet.

McCain pushes for federal boxing panel

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

During the Vietnam War, a young able bodied male had a 75% chance of being drafted. So chances are that, yes, he would have been drafted.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshPrince View Post
      I don't know what to think because I'm not even sure what he is trying to accomplish.
      It will regulate fighters safety and making sure that they have a retirement guarantee so they don't end up broke and on the streets. I posted the article in which he was talking about his plan a little while back. The idiot above was making stupid idiotic statments without having even read or read about the bill before.

He talks about it briefly here:
      http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=232512

Comment

wait.. I think I posted the wrong link.
        If I can find it for you I'll post.

Comment

Here is a little quote I found on the matter:
          Q: Bob Ley: “You were a boxer. I know you love the sport. You had a role in several pieces of legislation. What is the state of the sport that you love so much?”

A: Sen. John McCain: “I don’t think it’s as good as it could be. I think pay per view has had unintended consequences as well as intended, and it has narrowed the viewing audience. You see this ultimate fighting filling in a bit of a vacuum there. I’m a proud conservative, I still think it is the sport that needs a union because these are the people with the shortest spans of participation. They need to have retirement benefits, and they need it as badly or worse than any professional sport.”

Comment

Originally posted by MOREBASS View Post
            I don't think the government should be involved with sports at all.
            I agree, and that McCain correspondence with the reporter above is scary. Please stay out of sports government, you have no business medling there. You have other problems and other issues to **** up.

Comment

Originally posted by LRcie03 View Post
              I agree, and that McCain correspondence with the reporter above is scary. Please stay out of sports government, you have no business medling there. You have other problems and other issues to **** up.
              sadly boxing has real trouble governing itself, but until I know all the details I will not make a comment at all.

Comment

dave meltzer said on the radio tonight that this could only be a good thing for boxing and boxing fans

Comment

Originally posted by MissDeeCole View Post
                  dave meltzer said on the radio tonight that this could only be a good thing for boxing and boxing fans
                  the boxing big heads (biggest money makers) wont want to unionize with boxers who make the smallest amount of money in the sport. They will see it as a setback.
                  It's great for some boxers but not all of them.. The legislation would definitely benifit fans though but one problem. Boxing is global not American. They will have no way to regulate what goes on outside of America therefor it will not be recognized by outside organizations and it wont recognize them either. No, legislation has ever suceeded when it came to Boxing in congress for whatever reason. Then again no one had ever been president who was black. But just saying, I doubt it gets passed.

I'm all for some retirement type plan for boxers but the rest of it would probably never work out.

Comment

on second thought.. most PPVs are in America anyway.. I dunno I go back and forth with this.

Comment

Originally posted by DeymarPR View Post
                      Yes he had gotten tortured, but it was HIS decison to go to the Armed Forces in a time of war, not anyone elses
                      Do you know what a "draft" is???

Comment

Working...
                      X