Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to move out of my house and to another city!!! How to go about doing it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kenny MF Powers View Post
    Hmmm, 7 months isnt a very long time, but could be 70 years if you take the chance and go for it.

I was about your age when I made my move, brought the lady with me though. If youre wanting to leave I say do it. If it doesnt work out, then bail to Miami after. Youre young, got plenty of time. The one thing I learned moving around is no matter what, Ill be alright. Just gotta be willing to keep your head up and get it done.
    My question to you though is how do I go about doing this? I think I have maybe $1000 under my name. I doubt my parents will support me at all if I decide to go for the move to be with my girlfriend. I've been looking for a job here for the past month and have had no luck, but I feel if I make the move over to Ft.Myers then I'll have a sense of urgency on my shoulders and I'll know that, "Hey I really need a job and money because If I don't have that I might end up homeless... or end up back at my parents house which is what I want to avoid, so they don't give me the whole, ''We told you so story."

Comment

I dont know what rent is like but 1000 is at most maybe first month and deposit if you get a spot on your own. Thats even before utilities.

Im thinking maybe looking into renting a room from someone would be a good way. 1000 should be enough for a couple months while you get a job and all that. If theres a college nearby, should be pretty easy to find some cool dudes you can rent a room with. Then you wont have to worry about getting approved for your own spot or whatever and not having solid work yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SHADYV1 View Post
        Alright so basically I want to get the **** out of my house. I just recently graduated with my AA at a local community college. Problem is, I pretty much have no money... and I currently don't have a job. I've been applying everywhere for a job and I've only been called in for 2 interviews out of like 50 places I've applied. I want to move to another city about 3 hours from where I'm at now, but there's no way in hell I could apply for jobs over there if I don't even have a place to live there. Anyone ever been in this situation? What would be the most logical thing for me to do or is there anything I could do that could be risky at first but could end up working out in the end? Thanks homies
        #1 - Find a job wherever you choose to live and do some homework about the area. Most landlords won't rent to you without proving employment. Even if you had a wad of cash and could pay a whole year in advance ... some will still say no.

#2 - Save up some cash before you make the move....
        You don't want to get where you're going and find out then, that your plans have a few cracks in them. So, always have some emergency cash ready.

#3 - Most jobs have and will give you relocation expenses ... depending on the type of job it is. Always ask, if you have the skills to pay the bills.

#4 - Plan, plan and plan some more ... expect the unexpected. Everything can be worked out on paper or in your head, but rarely do things happen that way in reality .... have a backup plan.

#5 - Find self-storage space in your target area, just in case you have to store your stuff temporarily.

#6 - Most importantly, get to know the area before you sign a lease ....

Comment

Join the military.

Comment

perhaps a car or bus ticket even a plane ticket would point you in the right direction.

Comment

Just find the best cheapest living situation.

Decide on what city you want to go to, find an area that's close to your house that has all the things you want and need, and google cheap apartments or if you're single and want to save money, go to roomates.com sometimes you can get a great deal on a room with somebody you can stand depending on the area. Some areas have much higher rent than others so do your research on good deals

Also don't forget to take in the cost of electricity, water, and cable/internet/phone.

If you dont have a car a city where you dont have to drive everywhere is beneficial. Some cities like miami have almost no transport system and if you don't have a car you're ****ed because everything is so far away from each other.
              Last edited by DARKSEID; 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny MF Powers View Post
                I dont know what rent is like but 1000 is at most maybe first month and deposit if you get a spot on your own. Thats even before utilities.

Im thinking maybe looking into renting a room from someone would be a good way. 1000 should be enough for a couple months while you get a job and all that. If theres a college nearby, should be pretty easy to find some cool dudes you can rent a room with. Then you wont have to worry about getting approved for your own spot or whatever and not having solid work yet.
                1,000 for a room=A couple of months. Damn, in New York people charge around 150-200 a week for a room and that's being generous and they like you.

Then to actually rent an apartment, your salary has to be 40x your rent.

Comment

the first logical step would be to get a roommate and a job and live and work locally to start out

when you get a cash base and start to get on your feet (and your lease with your roomie(s) is close to ending you can look at stuff in another city

it's easiest to find a job when you're currently employed. you will want to get an entry level job for starters and work your way up.

local job and roommate(s) first

you're going to need a job (and a couple grand to put down,) to qualify for a lease. you'll probably need a cosigner for your first lease.
                  Last edited by New England; 06-19-2012, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    1,000 for a room=A couple of months. Damn, in New York people charge around 150-200 a week for a room and that's being generous and they like you.

Then to actually rent an apartment, your salary has to be 40x your rent.
                    That's NYC, the most expensive city in our nation. NYC is nice, don't get me wrong but it's the biggest rip off. 1500 dollars for a 20 by 20 studio apartment, yeahhhhhhh no thanks. Just about anywhere you live in America is like half the price of NYC. I'd never want to pay that much for a place to lay my head. I'd rather spend my money doing other stuff.

I live with a few roomies in a 3 bedroom house in a great city and combined it's only 1200 dollars. Some schmuck in NYC is paying that for an apartment the size of a closet.

Comment

Originally posted by Check View Post
                      That's NYC, the most expensive city in our nation. NYC is nice, don't get me wrong but it's the biggest rip off. 1500 dollars for a 20 by 20 studio apartment, yeahhhhhhh no thanks. Just about anywhere you live in America is like half the price of NYC. I'd never want to pay that much for a place to lay my head. I'd rather spend my money doing other stuff.

I live with a few roomies in a 3 bedroom house in a great city and combined it's only 1200 dollars. Some schmuck in NYC is paying that for an apartment the size of a closet.

my mortgage is a fraction of what it costs to rent a studio in NYC, and MA is an expensive state and i'm in a nice city.

crazy as that sounds; it's the truth

the difference is the down payment.
                      b1g d1ck, baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X