No announcement yet.

I have breathing problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have breathing problems

I box I just recovered from a cold but it's been 2 weeks since I recovered but I still have alot of mucus blocking my breathing from the nose. I also broke it a month ago and it bleeds easily. Any suggestions to get the inside of my nose drained of those fluids. And I wake up everyday with a sore throat because of my congested nose. I find it very hard to breathe during sparring.

I dont think this is the right place to find answers about that. I'm really puzzled man sorry but i guess you should just wait till it goes away.

Comment

you should pay a visit to your preferred physician.

Comment

You've got a whole bunch of problems, so go see a doctor.

The cold isn't a big deal, but if you've still got it you shouldn't be at the gym where you can infect other people. There's already enough regular germs being passed around in a boxing gym with people contacting each others blood/sweat/spit and all the nasty equipment. I don't want to have to worry about catching a cold from someone.

If you just broke your nose a month ago, it may still be broken/not fully healed and you need to take more time off. Or the break could have healed but you may have a deviated septum where the cartilage that separates your nostrils gets damaged and pushed to one side blocking one of your nostrils.

I got my nose smashed up when I first started sparring and ended up with a deviated septum. I took two weeks off of sparring, and then when I started back up it would bleed very easily. That was early on when I started boxing, so I didn't have much defense and got hit a lot. When my defense improved I could spar without getting hit as much and my nose healed so it doesn't bleed anymore.

I still can't breathe very well through my nose so I use one of the mouthguards that protects your top and bottom teeth and has a hole in the middle to breathe through so I can breathe with my mouth and still keep my jaw clenched. If it turns out you have a deviated septum, get one of those kinds of mouthguards. I use a Brain Pad Pro Plus and highly reccomend it. Deviated septum will destroy your cardio until you get used to breathing through your mouth. I still sometimes forget and start breathing through my nose and I'm gassed in minutes because I can only get half of the air I should be able to get through my nose.

But go to the doctor and see what's up.
        Last edited by ScottDBA; 10-16-2008, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Use Vicks.

Comment

I have a similar problem. I possibly broke my nose roughly a week ago. I havent gone to the doctor yet to have it examined, should be doing that tuesday. As far as breathing problems I use Afrn to help open my nasal passage. It reduces swelling and breaks up mucus that blocks air flow. Give that a try till you get to the Doc. Good luck.

Comment

Don't use nasal spray stuff like Afrin or Dristan excessively. I only take it before I go to the gym on days that I will be sparring because that's when I need to breathe clearly the most.

If you use it too much you can damage your nose. My uncle had a nose problem and basically became addicted to it because it was the only thing that helped him breathe. Not sure how long it took, but it ended up damaging his nose so much he blew a chunk of cartilage out of it and when he went to the hospital to get it fixed they thought he was a coke head because his sinus cavities were all messed up.

Comment

Vicks! Vapourub and Inhaler. nothing else needed.

Comment

I was checking out the Vapourub to see if that was something that would work for me and found this.

From wikipedia

VapoRub can be applied to the chest or throat (for congestion relief) or to sore muscles (to increase circulation). However, because it contains camphor—a substance that can be toxic if swallowed or absorbed into the body—VapoRub should not be applied in or near the nostrils (see manufacturer's warnings).

So don't go sticking it up your nose. lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X